Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 03:59   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre Width - Some questions

Hey it's me again, found something more for you, a damn good read if I were to say so

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html
Old 28th January 2011, 10:07   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey it's me again, found something more for you, a damn good read if I were to say so

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html

Thanks a lot for the reply, khoj. I've gone through this post already. I understand that tyre upsizing will definitely help, but my question was more specifically about upsizing by just 10mm and whether that really has that much of an effect, especially upsizing from an already-wide 205 to 215.
Old 28th January 2011, 14:23   #333
Senior - BHPian

Not had experience with these widths but my 2 cents. 165 to 185 represents a 12 % increase (and the difference in handling you could make out) while going from 205 to 215 is only 5% So there would be no noticeable difference. The quality of tyre should make more of a difference between these two sizes.
Old 28th January 2011, 15:27   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Effects:
  1. More than 6% increase in sidewall height should mean a bit more comfort.
  2. A 1.8% change in speedo reading. ie, Speedo reads 100 km/hr instead of the actual 101.8 km/hr.
  3. 205-215 will increase handling a bit, but I believe the car will start tramlining.
  4. A slight reduction in FE.
Also, don't expect drastic changes in these department. Obviously, its because the %age-wise jump is less in this case than a 135-145 upsize.

Last edited by dhanushs : 28th January 2011 at 15:29.
Old 28th January 2011, 18:48   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Effects:
  1. More than 6% increase in sidewall height should mean a bit more comfort.
  2. A 1.8% change in speedo reading. ie, Speedo reads 100 km/hr instead of the actual 101.8 km/hr.
  3. 205-215 will increase handling a bit, but I believe the car will start tramlining.
  4. A slight reduction in FE.
Also, don't expect drastic changes in these department. Obviously, its because the %age-wise jump is less in this case than a 135-145 upsize.
I had more or less guessed all the points that you mentioned (after going through many FAQs and threads here on t-bhp). Thanks for the reply though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Not had experience with these widths but my 2 cents. 165 to 185 represents a 12 % increase (and the difference in handling you could make out) while going from 205 to 215 is only 5% So there would be no noticeable difference. The quality of tyre should make more of a difference between these two sizes.
Just as I had suspected .. Almost made up my mind (unless anyone has any counter-arguments here) not to upsize to 215/60R16 since the additional 4-5K cost can be put to better use somewhere else (for the car, obviously). I will definitely be upgrading to better tyres though - either Michelin Primacy LC or the Conti CPC2.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:22   #336

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Hi! That was a great post. I have the older Nissan X-trail. I would like to increase the size of the wheels (yes wheels not just tyres). I think the originals are 17. How much bigger can I go. The change is more or less for cosmetic purposes but I don't want something jarring. I'd just like to change the overall balance a little. The wheels seem a little too small right now. I need to change my tyres and am looking at repainting as well. So...
Old 31st January 2011, 23:53   #337
BHPian

I have just bought an OHC Vtec.I was thinking of upgrading my rubber from stock to 16 or 17 inchers.Which ones to go for a Vtec??I am thinking of keeping the engine stock for some time but i know it wont do justice to the car so would upgrade it in the coming months and so am thinking of going for a tyre upgrade right now itself which will go with the modifications i decide in the coming months.
Old 1st February 2011, 00:08   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
I have just bought an OHC Vtec.I was thinking of upgrading my rubber from stock to 16 or 17 inchers.Which ones to go for a Vtec??I am thinking of keeping the engine stock for some time but i know it wont do justice to the car so would upgrade it in the coming months and so am thinking of going for a tyre upgrade right now itself which will go with the modifications i decide in the coming months.
Hey OHC VTEC,

I would suggest that you keep the original wheels and just get better rubber for your car. The original alloys are the ones that are best suited to the Vtec not only strength wise but they are unique in the way they look giving exclusivity to the Vtec. Increasing the wheel dia may also take away from the steering geometry thus robbing the vehicle of its razor sharp handling.

Infact along with new rubber you would do well to invest in strut bars up front and side lower bars and maybe fender bars to stiffen up the old chassis this will vastly improve the handling dynamics.
Old 1st February 2011, 00:17   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey OHC VTEC,

I would suggest that you keep the original wheels and just get better rubber for your car. The original alloys are the ones that are best suited to the Vtec not only strength wise but they are unique in the way they look giving exclusivity to the Vtec. Increasing the wheel dia may also take away from the steering geometry thus robbing the vehicle of its razor sharp handling.

Infact along with new rubber you would do well to invest in strut bars up front and side lower bars and maybe fender bars to stiffen up the old chassis this will vastly improve the handling dynamics.
How much would the strut bars up front,side lower bars and fender bars cost in all?
Old 1st February 2011, 01:41   #340
Senior - BHPian

For that you need to talk to the people here

ULTRA RACING - INDIA and maybe here

Welcome to KS MOTORSPORT --->

Disclaimer : I am not connected to either of the two entities above in any which way.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:04   #341
BHPian

@Khoj
The thing is the Vtec which i have bought is red colour with few dents and fade here and there,so i thought of going for an overhaul before i start using it.I am thinking of changing its colour to either blue or white or desert silver which originally came with the car..so if i am opting for blue or white the vtec rims wont go down well with the colour,so thought of upgradin the stock rims and rubber as well to go with the overall look of the car.What do you have to say?
Old 1st February 2011, 14:19   #342
Senior - BHPian

@OHC VTEC,

Looks are subjective. Anyhow if you are getting the whole car repainted you could have the alloys refurbished and painted in a colour that would suit the new paint. Ciao
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:50   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hyroplaning I think..
The contact area of a thin tyre with the road is a canoe-shaped patch that effectively can squeeze water out of the way.
I think we call that hydroplaning wherein the tyre is not in direct contact with the road but inbetween is a film of water which increases chances of skidding

better to have slightly wider tyres but do follow mfr recommendation as current vehicles are designed with tyres for the mileage and engine efficiency too

rgds
DP
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:59   #344
Team-BHP Support

@Dieseldunk,

Wider tyres are more likely to cause aquaplaning.

Though of course - the most important factor is tread pattern and depth.

cya
R
Old 7th February 2011, 16:00   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
S322 is a stock tyre and not considered very good.
Turanza ER60 is supposed to give much better ride comfort than S322 and is more resistant to bad roads than XM1+.
thanks 'guptavis'! I finally went for ER60 with a set of new Steel rim.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks