Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 14:16   #376

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMASURG View Post
What you need is a 4 wheel alignment. Tires and wheel balanced will only correct the steering shimmy(steering wheel vibrates back and forth at certain speed)
Your car is drifting to the left side and this can be corrected by adjusting the toe,i.e 4 wheel alignment. Good luck and safe motoring
I too have the same issue with my OHC 1.3 EXi.
But, as far as I know, Toe adjustment is not possible in this car (and for that matter, in many India cars). Is that correct? If yes, any other way to address the issue?

N.B.: I also have a raised suspension (through 1 inch pad) which I recently changed considering the earlier pads were >2 years old. But that didn't solve the issue...!
Old 12th October 2011, 10:43   #377
BHPian

Ford Endy predicament

I am looking to upsize the tyres on my Ford Endy (245/70R16 stock).
On 16" rims, I could only get 255/65R16 and no other sizes due to import restrictions (ISI). This size is unfortunately wider but smaller, which I don't want to go for.

This might not sound "upsizing" per se, but the other option I considered was to switch to 15" rims so I could get better sizes. I was looking at the Pajero stock sizes but the tyre dealer (TyreStore, Chennai) said he had 31-10.5-15.

1. 265/70R15: this is a 8.17mm (0.35%) difference in circumference. This seems the ideal fit.
2. 31-10.5-15, which is actually 30.7-10.5-15. I read somewhere on the net that the closest standard size is 265/75R15. Going by this, now, this is a whopping 91.42 (actually 4-5mm more) difference in circumference. The only advantage I can see in the 31-10.5-15 is better grip during cornering and braking (on highways), and is better looking than the current skinny tyres.

Am really getting mad confused now. Any opinions, anyone? Can I pick one of the two? Or should I just wait till the restrictions are lifted?

Last edited by ssh1979 : 12th October 2011 at 10:45.
Old 30th December 2011, 16:54   #378
BHPian

Hi All,

I own an A-Star currently - it has done 30k kms on stock JKs - 155/ 80 R13. I had a sidewall cut on my front tyre and had to change that tyre. My overall requirement is to upsize all tyres to 175s due to inherent issues of OEM 155s, though I dont have a Rs.20K budget to go in for all 5 tyres immediately. So I have bought 2 175s (175/ 70 R13) which would almost have the same dia as the current ones. Cost Rs.7400 for a pair of Yokohama A-Drives. This I am using for the rear. In a few months, due to natural wear and tear, I expect the front 2 old tyres to give up considering the load/ drive-train/ steering factors. At that time, all 3 old set of tyres would be replaced with new Yokos. I sold 1 tyre from the old set for Rs.300; the other damaged one was discarded.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:48   #379
BHPian

I own a Palio Style MJD. Problem is the tread on the insides of the rear tyre's are wearing out faster than the outsides. What could be the reason?. I do get the wheel balancing and alignment done regularly along with tyre rotation.
Old 26th March 2012, 23:14   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I own a Palio Style MJD. Problem is the tread on the insides of the rear tyre's are wearing out faster than the outsides. What could be the reason?. I do get the wheel balancing and alignment done regularly along with tyre rotation.
Try getting wheel balancing and alignment done from another shop, to see if there is any problem with your tire shop.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:15   #381
BHPian

Re: Ford Endy predicament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I am looking to upsize the tyres on my Ford Endy (245/70R16 stock).
On 16" rims, I could only get 255/65R16 and no other sizes due to import restrictions (ISI). This size is unfortunately wider but smaller, which I don't want to go for.

Or should I just wait till the restrictions are lifted?
ssh1979

The suggestion is that with an Endy (going by your specs it seems to be the new one which has been designed to improve mileage) .If mileage is not the concern and you want to make it look like the older verson which I simply love for its tyres,all for you.

Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 12:59   #382
BHPian

Re: Ford Endy predicament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
ssh1979

The suggestion is that with an Endy (going by your specs it seems to be the new one which has been designed to improve mileage) .If mileage is not the concern and you want to make it look like the older verson which I simply love for its tyres,all for you.

Cheers
Prasad
Hey Prasad, thanks and I am a huge fan of the pre-2009 model too!!! BTW, I did change the tyres AND rims. I went higher and higher and stopped one notch below an insane size. More details here if you care: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2563482
Old 27th March 2012, 14:22   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Try getting wheel balancing and alignment done from another shop, to see if there is any problem with your tire shop.
Already did that but the result is same. Initially I got that done with the Fiat-Tata service center itself. But later shifted to another shop. This is the second set of tyre's with the problem has recurred.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 27th March 2012 at 14:25.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:13   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
So I have bought 2 175s (175/ 70 R13) which would almost have the same dia as the current ones.
Did the 175s fit on the OEM rims or did you change the rims?
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:11   #385
BHPian

Seeking some expert advice on tyre upgrades for an Etios VD.

Current set (OEM) are Goodyear's. The road noise inside the cabin at higher speeds can get a bit loud - and one good reason apart from the wafer-thin body are the tyres.

The 185/60 R 15's shod with OEM alloys can do with an upgrade - provided there is a time-tested solution in the market.

Any suggestions, please.
Old 20th May 2012, 17:41   #386
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade the tyres of the Dzire Zdi from 185/65/R15 to 205/60/R15, retaining the OEM alloys. Is this feasible and are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?

From various posts on the forum, particularly http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2554599 I think the width of the OEM alloy is 15 x 5.5J and inset is 45.

What are some of the tyres I can consider for this upsize? The sidewall is going to be the same width, so will the ride become harsher? Also, will the tyres scrape the sides of the tyre well due to the new width?
Old 20th May 2012, 19:17   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
I am planning to upgrade the tyres of the Dzire Zdi from 185/65/R15 to 205/60/R15, retaining the OEM alloys. Is this feasible and are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?
205 goes well with 6J. 5.5J is not "safe" as per tire shops (can someone throw light why they say so). 205 would cause extra load on your 1.3 MJ, but you should TD a SX4 ZDi v/s VDi to rule out any degradation in your day-to-day usage (and get a feel of 205 performance with 60% sidewall).
The fact that 65 profile is mildly stiff, 60 would be a further compromise. It would mean picking up mild disturbances from the road. Steering no doubt, will be better connected.

Tyre Options:
1. Michelin Primacy LC - 91 load index, V speed rating
2. Goodyear - No match found
3. Bridgestone Potenza GIII 91H
4. Bridgestone Potenza MY-01 91H
5. Yokohama A Drive 91H
6. Yokohama AVS DB 95V
7. Yokohama ES100 95H
8. JK - Is there a Vectra for this size ?
9. Apollo Accelere 91H
10. Continental - ? - Is there a CPC2/3 here ?

Last edited by devsoftech : 20th May 2012 at 19:19.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 22:16   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
iii. Sidewall Height (or Profile) - After selecting your rim size and your tread width, the objective is to choose a sidewall profile that keeps the overall diameter of the new tyres as close to original as possible.
Use <this> calculator to judge changes in size. Generally a difference in the range of 3-4% is considered acceptable.
Keep in mind that a change in overall diameter (OD) of your tyre & wheel combo will cause a slight error in your speedometer readings and odometers readings, which is purely academic. Also your ground clearance may change very slight (half the change in diameter).
I am quite curious to understand the behavior of the sidewall height of tyres. I will ask my question via a simple example.

Consider that I can choose one of the two options, a. 165/70R14 b. 175/60R15. In the first case the height of the sidewall height is 115.5 mm ( 165*0.7), while in the second case it is 105 mm (175*0.6) essentially about 10 % lesser.

Question : Since the sidewall height is lower in the second case, will I have a lower cushion to absorb the rough patches & my ride will be slightly rough on bad roads when compared to the first option ?
Old 31st May 2012, 11:37   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Question : Since the sidewall height is lower in the second case, will I have a lower cushion to absorb the rough patches & my ride will be slightly rough on bad roads when compared to the first option ?
Hi ajay123,

Your understanding is correct.

That is of course assuming that all other factors are the same, as different makes and models of tyres can have different thicknesses/hardnesses of sidewall, which can alter the equation.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 20:27   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

Hi ajay123,

Your understanding is correct.

That is of course assuming that all other factors are the same, as different makes and models of tyres can have different thicknesses/hardnesses of sidewall, which can alter the equation.

cya
R
Rehaan, thanks !

That brings me to a related question. The tyre spec variants provided by me above are actually the real options for the Nissan Micra diesel variants. The one with the lower sidewall height is the spec for the premium variant with alloy wheels [notice the width is 175 mm ], while the one with the higher sidewall height are the steel rims [width 165 mm]. Normally, premium variants are supposed to offer a better ride. Is it possible that more width would more than compensate for the lower sidewall height and actually offer a smoother ride. If my priority is to have a smoother ride on bad roads, which one of the two would be a better option? Will there be any significant difference or both will be more or less the same in terms of the ride quality. I don't care about the alloy looks, but ride quality is paramount for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks