Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 09:54   #406

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

My 2008 Swift Zxi has 185/70 R14 tyres (JK Vectra). These tyres have done 64000 kms, and the wear and tear has led to frequent problems now. My questions are:
1. What is the normal life of these tyres? Is it time to change tyres?
2. I plan to use the car for a year more and then dispose of it. Is it prudent to change tyres now, or shall I use the old tyres for a year and then dispose the car with the old tyres?
3. If I do change, what tryes should I buy? The same JK Vectras, or something more exciting? Which ones? How much do they cost?
Old 4th October 2012, 12:57   #407
BHPian

Since you don't have any problems with the grip levels that the JK Vectra's initially offered you, I'd suggest you not to go into expensive imported tyres. I would suggest you buy Apollo Aceleres as they aren't too expensive and offer great overall performance.
As for your old tyres, I suggest you get rid of them immediately, as I believe a tyre should only be used for 5 years/ 50000kms whichever earlier.
Old 4th October 2012, 16:45   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Have put up this in other thread but no response so trying my luck again.

Currently my Swift is running on 205/50/R15 Yokohama S Drives and clocked close to 45000 kms. Will have to change in a month since two tires have started to show it's age. Although I'm pretty satisfied with S Drives, I'm planning to go for 205/55/R15. Kindly let me know which one should I go for. Main priority is comfort and less road noise.
Old 4th October 2012, 17:43   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Since you don't have any problems with the grip levels that the JK Vectra's initially offered you, I'd suggest you not to go into expensive imported tyres. I would suggest you buy Apollo Aceleres as they aren't too expensive and offer great overall performance.
As for your old tyres, I suggest you get rid of them immediately, as I believe a tyre should only be used for 5 years/ 50000kms whichever earlier.
Thanks!
I have decided to change the tyres. I will go in for the same spec tyres (185/70R14) though not the JK Vectras. The tyre dealer is offering me 3 options:
1. Michelin @ Rs 4850
2. Yokohama @ Rs 4450
3. Bridgestone @ Rs 4650

Which one is better? Are the prices reasonable?
Old 4th October 2012, 22:26   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoorag View Post
Thanks!
I have decided to change the tyres. I will go in for the same spec tyres (185/70R14) though not the JK Vectras. The tyre dealer is offering me 3 options:
1. Michelin @ Rs 4850
2. Yokohama @ Rs 4450
3. Bridgestone @ Rs 4650

Which one is better? Are the prices reasonable?
I am pretty sure you will find Apollo Aceleres for around 4100-4200. Why bother spending more when you do not require the excess amount of grip. Among the 3 you have listed, I'd say, go for the Yoko's [I am assuming you are being given the A-drive]. Michelins have rather soft side walls and I have never liked bridgestones. Yokos on the other hand are pretty safe bet. But I still suggest you have a look at the aceleres.
Old 4th October 2012, 22:28   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Have put up this in other thread but no response so trying my luck again.

Currently my Swift is running on 205/50/R15 Yokohama S Drives and clocked close to 45000 kms. Will have to change in a month since two tires have started to show it's age. Although I'm pretty satisfied with S Drives, I'm planning to go for 205/55/R15. Kindly let me know which one should I go for. Main priority is comfort and less road noise.
If you are happy with S drives, why not go in for another set? S-drives are available in 205-55-R15 size.
Old 4th October 2012, 23:42   #412

Quote:
I am pretty sure you will find Apollo Aceleres for around 4100-4200. Why bother spending more when you do not require the excess amount of grip. Among the 3 you have listed, I'd say, go for the Yoko's [I am assuming you are being given the A-drive]. Michelins have rather soft side walls and I have never liked bridgestones. Yokos on the other hand are pretty safe bet. But I still suggest you have a look at the aceleres.
Thanks scuderiamania. Even I am inclined towards the Yokos (yeah, A-Drive), because (a) they seem to be a perfect balance of grip, technology, price, brand (b) Michelins are, as you said, a tad too soft (c) I am not a big fan of Bridgestones, like you.

I will check the Apollos out, though I might be able to get the Yokos for a price in the vicinity of the Apollos.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:44   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are happy with S drives, why not go in for another set? S-drives are available in 205-55-R15 size.
S Drives are mostly performance tires. Is there any other option which is more comfortable? Also, road noise tends to increase as the tyre age. Nowadays, it very evident.
Old 6th October 2012, 11:20   #414
BHPian

Quote:
S Drives are mostly performance tires. Is there any other option which is more comfortable? Also, road noise tends to increase as the tyre age. Nowadays, it very evident.
Have you considered the C-drive? Although I have no prior experience with these tyres, I have asked my tyre dealer to keep a set ready for my father's yet-to-be-delivered honda city. Size 195-60-15
Old 6th October 2012, 12:13   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you considered the C-drive? Although I have no prior experience with these tyres, I have asked my tyre dealer to keep a set ready for my father's yet-to-be-delivered honda city. Size 195-60-15
Checked the site but C drive is not available for that size. Considering the size I need, only S drive is available. So thinking of other brands for that size like Michelin, Continental etc.

S drive did perform really well but looking more of a comfort tyre.
Old 9th October 2012, 15:52   #416

Quote:
Thanks scuderiamania. Even I am inclined towards the Yokos (yeah, A-Drive), because (a) they seem to be a perfect balance of grip, technology, price, brand (b) Michelins are, as you said, a tad too soft (c) I am not a big fan of Bridgestones, like you.

I will check the Apollos out, though I might be able to get the Yokos for a price in the vicinity of the Apollos.
Got the new Yoko A.Drives installed hours ago. Sai Iyengar, Bangalore. Rs 4250 per tyre. I had checked at Reliance Autozone earlier, and they quoted nearly Rs 300-400 more for all the brands.
Old 9th October 2012, 18:38   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Got the new Yoko A.Drives installed hours ago. Sai Iyengar, Bangalore. Rs 4250 per tyre. I had checked at Reliance Autozone earlier, and they quoted nearly Rs 300-400 more for all the brands.
The price seems to be okay as the size of the tyre is bigger. I got 4 Yoko A drives 175/65/R14 around a week back from Popular Tyres in Rajajinagar. It was Rs 4,150 per tyre.
Old 9th October 2012, 18:54   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Checked the site but C drive is not available for that size. Considering the size I need, only S drive is available. So thinking of other brands for that size like Michelin, Continental etc.

S drive did perform really well but looking more of a comfort tyre.
A few weeks back I changed the tyres on my Fiesta to Michelin XM2. Comfort wise - Super, Grip - Very Good but hell lot of road noise. I never heard that kind of noise from the MRF ZV2K which were the previous set on my ride, they were super silent.

On my recent trip to Goa, I was driving on NH218, which is a very good tarmac, it has almost zero potholes but the surface is not smooth(if you know what I mean). On a different note I think if you're looking for comfortable tyres, they are bound to be soft compound and softer the compund, more the road noise.

You could also look at Apollo Accellers(spell check).
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 19:01   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
A few weeks back I changed the tyres on my Fiesta to Michelin XM2. Comfort wise - Super, Grip - Very Good but hell lot of road noise. I never heard that kind of noise from the MRF ZV2K which were the previous set on my ride, they were super silent.

You could also look at Apollo Accellers(spell check).
Thanks for your input. But my problem is that it's hard to find 205/55/R15 set. Most of them are 16" while others have 205/50/R15. Best bet is to continue with S Drives but with 205/55/R15

Any other brands with 205/55/R15? Comfort and less road noise. Less performance wouldnt be a problem. My wifey is finding the current configuration too harsh for our road conditions.
Old 9th October 2012, 20:58   #420
BHPian

How good is Pirelly tyres Looking for 195/60/R15

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks