Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 19:33   #616
BHPian

Has anyone changed the tires in Lodgy? I am thinking of something similar to the ones in Duster. Any suggestions?
Regards
Ramesh
Old 8th June 2016, 21:49   #617
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit
I have just changed the tires of my EcoSport.

Right after crossing 100 kmph the steering is becoming loose and starts jerking. While installing new sets of tire I have aligned the wheels at the tire store. I guess this is related to the tires?
Have you got Balancing done? The Tyres might be out of balance. Get the Balancing done and check again.
Old 9th June 2016, 09:08   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Have you got Balancing done? The Tyres might be out of balance. Get the Balancing done and check again.
I am sure the balancing was done. I will do it once again, Thanks for your advice.
Old 20th July 2016, 11:13   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone ordered tyres from Paytm? How has been your experience? I looking to order a set of 4 Yoko Earth 1. They have cash back offer of 15% on ordering upto 3 units of any tyre. So I intend to place 2 orders of 2 nos. each.
Old 20th July 2016, 11:22   #620
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Has anyone ordered tyres from Paytm? How has been your experience? I looking to order a set of 4 Yoko Earth 1. They have cash back offer of 15% on ordering upto 3 units of any tyre. So I intend to place 2 orders of 2 nos. each.

I had ordered 4 falken sincera's for my Corolla as they were at a terrific price on paytm. It was my first time when I had ordered tyres online and my biggest worry was old manufactured tyres. Surprisingly the tyres were manufactured in the same month (3 of them & 1 tyre was a month old). Have had them for over 3 months and 2.5k kms. No issues faced. Paytm process and cash back was smooth. Although I couldn't use their service for fitting them as I got it done from a near by tyre store. Was able to sell of the bridgestones that I had on my Corolla at a decent price to a different shop. Total cost-11.5k for 4 tyres( including cash back and buy-back for the old tyres).

Have used earth1's on my wagonr and had no complaints. With the cash back paytm is offering you will be getting yourself a sweet deal.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:06   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Can the upgrade be made from 155/65 R14 to 165/70 R14? I know the speedo error is 5% but is there any other issue with this upgrade?
Old 21st July 2016, 12:36   #622
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Can the upgrade be made from 155/65 R14 to 165/70 R14? I know the speedo error is 5% but is there any other issue with this upgrade?
You should be reducing the aspect ratio while going for wider tyres to keep ground clearance the same. Increasing ground clearance will increase the chances of your car flipping over in case of any impact.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:29   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I had ordered 4 falken sincera's for my Corolla as they were at a terrific price on paytm. It was my first time when I had ordered tyres online and my biggest worry was old manufactured tyres. Surprisingly the tyres were manufactured in the same month (3 of them & 1 tyre was a month old). Have had them for over 3 months and 2.5k kms. No issues faced. Paytm process and cash back was smooth. Although I couldn't use their service for fitting them as I got it done from a near by tyre store. Was able to sell of the bridgestones that I had on my Corolla at a decent price to a different shop. Total cost-11.5k for 4 tyres( including cash back and buy-back for the old tyres).

Have used earth1's on my wagonr and had no complaints. With the cash back paytm is offering you will be getting yourself a sweet deal.

Asit
I finally ordered 4 Earth 1 tyres from Paytm yesterday. It cost me 15824 and a cash back of 2644. Net cost 13.2k excluding installation and alignment. The delivery is scheduled over the next weekend. Let's see how it goes.
Old 27th July 2016, 20:27   #624
BHPian

Hi. I have Goodyear tires on my Elite i20 CRDi. The tires didn't last long, just 24000 kms. I am in the market for a new set of tires. Kindly suggest me some good brand as I am spoilt for options and am damn confused.

The current size is the stock 195/55/R16. Also i would like to upsize to 205/55/R16. Is this the correct upsize? Does this affect the performance of the brakes and suspension?

Experts kindly guide me.

Regards
Asta_la_vista
Old 20th October 2016, 09:53   #625
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am about to get my ISUZU DMAX VCROSS in a weeks time and was looking out to replace the tyres with AT's.

Any suggestions on which ones I should buy please.

Thanks,
Sundeep
Old 17th March 2017, 06:56   #626
Team-BHP Support

If the stock tires having size 235/65 R17 are replaced with 265/65 R17, how much of averse effect would be there?
# By how much would it affect the ride/handling?
# By how much would it affect the performance [acceleration & top end]
# How much of a penalty for FE?
Old 17th March 2017, 08:11   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If the stock tires having size 235/65 R17 are replaced with 265/65 R17, how much of averse effect would be there?
Did you mean 265/60 R17? Else, its too much of a size increase. +5%

Quote:
Ride will be better with 265. Handling too can improve provided you have a rim with correct width.
Acceleration will go for a toss. Engine might have it easy once you attain a higher speed if there isn't too much drag due to the added width, but getting there will take longer with a bigger tyre.
Cannot put a number, depends on the tread and compound too. Too wide a tyre will make the vehicle sip more fuel.

Last weekend, I had a friend' Bolero (pic below) shod with Hankook DynaPro MT for the whole day and the ride and handling was brilliant. The way it took corners beggars belief - the grip was insane. But he is getting single digit FE. Could be due to the tyres being MT I guess.
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20170311_123618745_hdr.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 08:18   #628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Did you mean 265/60 R17? Else, its too much of a size increase. +5%
The one which is OE in old gen Toyota Fortuner.

It is 265/65 R17.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th March 2017 at 08:21.
Old 17th March 2017, 09:08   #629
BHPian

Quote:
A light truck all terrain 235/65R17 tire would have an overall diameter of approx. 29.1 inches and would weigh approx. 32 pounds. A 265/65R17 tire of the same category would have an overall diameter of approx. 30.6 inches and would weigh approx. 42 pounds.

The increase in diameter is 5.15% which is more than globally accepted average of 2.5% (though for SUVs this can be stretched to 3 - 3.5%). You would also be lugging 50 pounds of extra weight (4 plus one spare).

Though your grip will improve on account of larger contact patch and so will the ride quality but it will be at the expense of several other parameters. Your fuel economy could drop by up to 10 percent & acceleration by up to 4 percent (a leading auto magazine a few years ago had conducted a battery of tests to validate the effect of larger diameter tires however I cannot recall the name of the publication) . Larger tires would also increase your under steer. The increased side wall height could also result in slightly poor stability while cornering at higher than normal speed (that’s why sports cars have rubber bands).

Although theoretically a larger tire would give you a slightly higher top speed I really doubt whether that's likely to happen as the advantage gained by the larger diameter would be negated by the higher weight that needs to be pushed to reach that top end and reduced effective torque put down by the larger diameter tire.

Bottom line; increasing your tire size substantially (more than 3.5 percent) without strengthening your suspension & making requisite changes to the steering geometry would not be beneficial and can jeopardize the overall handling while also putting extra strain on your drive line/suspension/steering geometry. Safer bet is to reduce your aspect ratio if going up in size & stay within 3.5%.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 17th March 2017 at 09:32. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 14:25   #630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
The increase in diameter is 5.15% which is more than globally accepted average of 2.5% (though for SUVs this can be stretched to 3 - 3.5%). You would also be lugging 50 pounds of extra weight (4 plus one spare).
Thanks. I got new tire in OE specifications. Link

Now, I am unsure if I would upsize or go for better rubber for a car whose OE size is 155/65 R14. This would see city runs only and if I do change the tire, it would mostly be for the width [and not aspect ratio or size] & looks.

Most Viewed