Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 11:22   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I hope you want to increase the ride quality. My cousin is having the zxi+ version Ciaz with the stock 195/55/16 section tires, and has been using it for last 4 years for almost 60,000 kms and he has no complaints till now. The Ciaz is having a soft suspension set up, hence having a better ride and increasing the side wall height may result in increasing the body roll even further. So my suggestion would be to stick with OEM size which is a proper tire size and also increasing the tire width won't create much impact as the Ciaz is not a corner carver with that soft suspension.
Actually the first aim is to save the rims from cracks and tyres from any side wall bulges in case I miss a speed breaker on the highway or go over a pothole at speeds, also the other aim is to make the car more Ladakh'able and Thailand'able if that is the term I can use.

I currently drive a 185/70/R14 XM2 shod Swift Diesel, the suspension of the Swift is much harder than that of the Ciaz I agree, but the 70 profile has given me the confidence over the years of not tearing up the tyres or rims if I missed something during my highway runs.

You are right about the width, its not a corner craver anyway.
Old 21st December 2018, 12:33   #692
BHPian

Hi ,

I want to change tyres of my 2015 Toyota Altis. the original ones are Bridgestone Turanza T 001 ( 195/65 ) , today i have option of Bridgstone Ecopoia , Yokohama earth 1 and MRF perfinza. I want your advise friends , which ones are better in quality and durable.
Old 21st December 2018, 18:13   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
I want to change tyres of my 2015 Toyota Altis.
Have a look at dedicated Corolla thread (Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread).

Quote:
today i have option of Bridgstone Ecopoia , Yokohama earth 1 and MRF perfinza.
Among these three, would prefer MRF Perfinza as have been reading good reviews about these. Also have a look at Continental MC5.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 21:09   #694
BHPian

Folks,

Would like to understand from your experience what I should expect in terms of exchange value when I swap/upgrade tires on day one of ownership of my soon to be delivered car

This is the first time I'm upgrading the shoes on my car. I have continued with the stock tyres on all my previous cars.

I'm getting Rs 4,000 as exchange credit for tyres that are selling for 6,800 a piece on Flipkart. That's around 40% hit for a tyre that will have done less than 20 kms.

Would have thought that the number would be closer to 20%

What has your experience been? Is the 40% number in line with the market trend?

Thanks!

Mar21
Old 8th March 2019, 09:05   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post
I'm getting Rs 4,000 as exchange credit for tyres that are selling for 6,800 a piece on Flipkart. That's around 40% hit for a tyre that will have done less than 20 kms.
Exchange credit largely depends on whether tyre size is commonly used & matches preference for cars from taxi segment. Tyre dealer needs to have a fast moving tyre & swapped tyres shouldn't become an idle stock for him.
From your recent posts, it looks like you are exploring tyre swap for Abarth Punto. Stock tyres would be Apollo Alnac 4G which isn't that bad at all for Abarth.

Looking at exchange pricing, I would choose to continue with stock tyres and perhaps change those after 20k-25k kms assuming abarth would be driven aggressively.
Old 8th March 2019, 12:10   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi ,

I want to change tyres of my 2015 Toyota Altis. the original ones are Bridgestone Turanza T 001 ( 195/65 ) , today i have option of Bridgstone Ecopoia , Yokohama earth 1 and MRF perfinza. I want your advise friends , which ones are better in quality and durable.

MRF Perfinza > Yokohama Earth 1
The increased price of the Perfinza is worth it, given BHPian Nikhilb2008's extensive review of them. You won't be disappointed with the Earth 1 either as it's a durable tyre and yet offers a good ride.

The Ecopia doesn't make this list because it's a hard, unsafe tyre that squeals when braking from high speeds (below 120 kmph). It's marketed as a low rolling resistance tyre for fuel economy, but that means you'll compromise on wet grip and high speed grip, not to mention the hard ride. I own a Honda City and that's these tyres are what I dislike about my car.
CaptainPrice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 13:30   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Exchange credit largely depends on whether tyre size is commonly used & matches preference for cars from taxi segment. Tyre dealer needs to have a fast moving tyre & swapped tyres shouldn't become an idle stock for him.
Yeah, makes sense. i did check - there are other cars using that size, but not really a part of the taxi market.

Quote:
From your recent posts, it looks like you are exploring tyre swap for Abarth Punto. Stock tyres would be Apollo Alnac 4G which isn't that bad at all for Abarth.
True that :-) can't wait to get behind the wheel!

Quote:
Looking at exchange pricing, I would choose to continue with stock tyres and perhaps change those after 20k-25k kms assuming abarth would be driven aggressively.
A recent drive on my friend's punto (the diesel) shod with Yokos is making me consider an upgrade. Wasn't really considering an upgrade before that.

Thinking about upgrading to solve for lower road noise and better grip in the wet and on loose gravel/dirt on the road. Not for driving on the edge.

I'll call a few more dealers and see what is being offered. The Michelin seems to have the better reviews from a road noise and grip. Need to decide if it makes sense to upgrade.

regards
Mar21
Old 21st April 2019, 16:20   #698
BHPian

Happy Sunday all! Need help in buying fresh set of rubber for my Toyota Liva. It mostly runs around town, tackling our immortal bad roads. Size is 185/65 R15 & running the shitty stock OEM Goodyear tyres. Want an all round tyre, same size which is good on both wet & dry roads, is comfortable while driving & robust enough on the sidewalls. Considering Bridgestone Turanzas(from my past great experience), Michelin XM2, Yokohama Earth 1 & the Continental CC5. Jitubhai at Saifee recommends Michelin's.

Please help me choose the best. TIA!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 16:51   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Happy Sunday all! Need help in buying fresh set of rubber for my Toyota Liva. It mostly runs around town, tackling our immortal bad roads. Size is 185/65 R15 & running the shitty stock OEM Goodyear tyres. Want an all round tyre, same size which is good on both wet & dry roads, is comfortable while driving & robust enough on the sidewalls. Considering Bridgestone Turanzas(from my past great experience), Michelin XM2, Yokohama Earth 1 & the Continental CC5. Jitubhai at Saifee recommends Michelin's.

If your car runs in city only, then I would suggest to save some bucks and go with hard compound MRF rubber. The ZV2K model offers decent grip, runs for long time and I haven't really faced a single puncture or sidewall damage with it in last 45,000 kms, and there's still plenty tread left.

Edit,

Zv2k is not available in this size, but I would still suggest you to go with MRF and save some bucks!

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 21st April 2019 at 16:54.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 18:18   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
If your car runs in city only, then I would suggest to save some bucks and go with hard compound MRF rubber. The ZV2K model offers decent grip, runs for long time and I haven't really faced a single puncture or sidewall damage with it in last 45,000 kms, and there's still plenty tread left.

Edit,

Zv2k is not available in this size, but I would still suggest you to go with MRF and save some bucks!
Thanks for this mate. Well, my brother has these on his City & just a day ago, the rear tyre blew up! I was fortunate enough to be close to a tyre shop. Don’t wish to go for MRF, Ceat, JK etc.
Old 21st April 2019, 20:19   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Back when they launched it, I took liva for a test drive and then I asked the salesman if all cars will come with Turanza. He said the V version will come with Turanza and alloys. You can't go wrong with Bridgestone.

I was happy to see that they considered a different tyre for the top spec and a proper size alloy.

Fast forward to 2018, 14L worth of Honda City came with under sized alloys and MRF.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 21:54   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Michelin XM2 and Yokohama Blueearth AE50 are best options in that size.
If budget permits then please go ahead with XM2s.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:44   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Back when they launched it, I took liva for a test drive and then I asked the salesman if all cars will come with Turanza. He said the V version will come with Turanza and alloys. You can't go wrong with Bridgestone.

I was happy to see that they considered a different tyre for the top spec and a proper size alloy.

Fast forward to 2018, 14L worth of Honda City came with under sized alloys and MRF.
I know right! Times we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Michelin XM2 and Yokohama Blueearth AE50 are best options in that size.
If budget permits then please go ahead with XM2s.
Budget is permitting. I don't mind the Yoko's really but I've heard some nasty stories about their longevity. Hence the doubts.
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:32   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Budget is permitting. I don't mind the Yoko's really but I've heard some nasty stories about their longevity. Hence the doubts.
Yoko's tend to fade out faster after the 40k kms mark.
Michelins are more consistent in terms of wear and comfort throughout their life.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:39   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Yoko's tend to fade out faster after the 40k kms mark.
Michelins are more consistent in terms of wear and comfort throughout their life.
Thanks again sir! Checking all out this week. Keep ya posted. I also wanna try the Turanzas.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks