Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/24991-article-choosing-right-set-tyres-your-car-48.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmel (Post 4578447)
Thanks again sir! Checking all out this week. Keep ya posted. I also wanna try the Turanzas.

Can suggest an alternative underrated tyre - Falken Sincera. Tyre wears out faster but ride quality is a notch better than the Yoko Earth 1's, Bridgestone besides having equally tough sidewall. It will be cheaper as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4578680)
Can suggest an alternative underrated tyre - Falken Sincera. Tyre wears out faster but ride quality is a notch better than the Yoko Earth 1's, Bridgestone besides having equally tough sidewall. It will be cheaper as well.

Alright. Thank you for this. Shall check it out for sure.

Went to good ol Saifee, was pleased to meet the good ol staff & Jitubhai. Today's patient was the Honda City. And it got the XM2 treatment. I also got to compare the CC5, ER300 and the BlueEarths side by side. I loved the asymmetrical pattern of the Turanza ER300s. While the tyres were being changed got 2 customers running the CC5's and the Earth 1. The CC5s were on a Innova Crysta and the owner wasn't happy. The friendly mechanics suggested I go for the CC5. I am biased towards the Turanzas because of the fab experience I had with the ER60.

The CC5, ER300 & BlueEarth are coming at 4700/piece whereas its 5500 for the XM2s. Jitubhai might give me a good deal on the Michelins since I have already got a pair. The heart says Bridgestone. Lets see how this goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmel (Post 4579183)
Went to good ol Saifee, was pleased to meet the good ol staff & Jitubhai. Today's patient was the Honda City. And it got the XM2 treatment. I also got to compare the CC5, ER300 and the BlueEarths side by side. I loved the asymmetrical pattern of the Turanza ER300s. While the tyres were being changed got 2 customers running the CC5's and the Earth 1. The CC5s were on a Innova Crysta and the owner wasn't happy. The friendly mechanics suggested I go for the CC5. I am biased towards the Turanzas because of the fab experience I had with the ER60.

The CC5, ER300 & BlueEarth are coming at 4700/piece whereas its 5500 for the XM2s. Jitubhai might give me a good deal on the Michelins since I have already got a pair. The heart says Bridgestone. Lets see how this goes.

Continental MC5 is good for cars , Innovas should probably stick to whatever Bridgestones that Toyota provides, they are supposed to carry a lot more weight and last long while doing that.

Michelins suits city as it helps with keeping the noise down and it remains noise free till the end. This is from experience with 09 city, I'm sure it helps current city as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 4579205)
Continental MC5 is good for cars , Innovas should probably stick to whatever Bridgestones that Toyota provides, they are supposed to carry a lot more weight and last long while doing that.

Michelins suits city as it helps with keeping the noise down and it remains noise free till the end. This is from experience with 09 city, I'm sure it helps current city as well.

Agree. So finally went ahead and got the Turanza ER300 for the Liva and XM2 for my brothers Honda City. Was a tough call with the CC5 but chose the Bridgestones because of the previous great experience I had with them. Im a little biased towards medium-hard compound because our roads are never going to improve. We need tough tyres.

I am going to get my car's tyres changed today, can anyone suggest a good tyre shop in Delhi (mostly north and central)?

Few questions for Tyre Experts:

What is the minimum & recommended tread depth for 'normal' vehicles?

The tread depth for the front tyres of My Polo show just about 3mm.
I am inclined towards replacing them, Should I go ahead?

I am a bit confused between Bridgestone B290, Apollo Alnac & Michelin XM2.
Which one is the most durable, and abuse-friendly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4626262)
I am a bit confused between Bridgestone B290, Apollo Alnac & Michelin XM2.
Which one is the most durable, and abuse-friendly?

I would suggest replacing all 4 of them, not just the front and follow periodic rotation routines to balance the tread wear.

Durability wise - B290> Alnac=XM2
Comfort wise - XM2 > Alnac=B290

Safe tread depth would be 4/32nd of an inch or 3mm. Anything less and you run the risk of hydroplaning with minimal precipitation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4626775)
I would suggest replacing all 4 of them, not just the front and follow periodic rotation routines to balance the tread wear.

Durability wise - B290> Alnac=XM2
Comfort wise - XM2 > Alnac=B290

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikram Arya (Post 4627111)
Safe tread depth would be 4/32nd of an inch or 3mm. Anything less and you run the risk of hydroplaning with minimal precipitation.

Dears,
Thanks for your suggestions. :thumbs up
I went ahead and replaced all 4 Tyres with Bridgestone B290s.
I went for an upsize (185/65 R14).

Had an extremely good experience at My Tire Store, Vishweshwaraiah Road.

The tyres feel lovely. :D
The ride quality has completed transformed.
The bone-jarring ride is now completely gone.
The steering also feels a bit lighter.

I have a WagonR VXI 2010 model and am with the second set of tyres having clocked 1 lakhs upward and now its time to change as planning a few long trips. My daily usage is 60 odd kilometers which make its like 1200 km on bad city roads in Bengaluru with potholes and extremely bad roads to my office. I am currently on Goodyear which has been really good on 165/65 R14 79T and my experience has been awesome. Please suggest tyres based on comfort, speed and durablity. Thanks in advance

Hi BHPians!

This is my very first post on team BHP.

Subjects:

1) Modifying (Upsizing) my Mahindra Bolero ZLX Tyres.
2) What other modifications can I do for a Bolero ZLX 2013 Model for more comfortable ride.

Current Tyre Spec: 215/75 R15

Question: What's the recommended upsize that I can opt for?

Why Upsize?

It's being 6Years now that I am with this vehicle and instead of swapping it with a new vehicle, I want to do some decent Modifications like upsizing tyres and upgrading interior.

Please recommend.

Thanks!
DM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM&Beast (Post 4643178)

Why Upsize?

It's being 6Years now that I am with this vehicle and instead of swapping it with a new vehicle, I want to do some decent Modifications like upsizing tyres and upgrading interior.

Please recommend.

Thanks!
DM

Hi.

Why do you want to upsize the tyres of your Bolero?

You are already using high profile tyres. And increasing the rim size won't help for softer ride.

Greetings Everyone,

I have recently got Yokohama A-drives for my 2008 1.4 D Verna. The size of the tyres is: 190-70-R14

I got 4 tyres for 16500 with wheel balancing and Alignment.

The previous tyre size installed was 185-65-R14.

Now my question is, did I make the correct decision by going for this size as my driving is mainly between Delhi - Dharamshala (avg. 150 km in mountains). Last 3 Km to my house in my village has no roads.

I did a lot of research on the internet on the same but unfortunately all this was done post getting the tyres installed.

I'm no expert but what I understood by reading various expert opinions on internet and Team BHP is that this is not a good size to install in old Verna.

Will really appreciate if you can give your views and things I need to keep in mind while using this size on the old Verna (2008) as I have already got them.

The tyre dealer insisted me on getting these and I foolishly got them installed as I thought these will increase the GC and will have a better grip.

Though 10 years old diesel cars are ban in New Delhi region but I plan to drive my car for at least 3-4 years. I don't drive the car in the City and prefer cabs/autos/metros. The car is superb and gives my an avg of 17km/l and still touches good speeds on a good bright sunny day, but I believe this all will now change with the update to 190-70-R14

I'm using the stock steel rims.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USR (Post 4644127)
Greetings Everyone,

I have recently got Yokohana A-drives for my 2008 1.4 D Verna. The size of the tyres is: 190-70-R14

Tx

That size seems too unbelievable. I have heard of only 185 or 195 section tires, not anything between these, like 190 that you have mentioned.