Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 02:23   #826
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
+1 as I have the exact same query for my Ecosport 16" Titanium.

Have the stock Goodyears which served me quite well nearing 50k mark and it seems to be giving up now. What would be an ideal replacement given the maximum usage being highway runs. Also the best outlet to change them in Bangalore at a competitive price.
I would suggest if you're going for all 4 tyre change, you can get it shipped from BM Lal tyres in Chennai as their prices are 800-1k lesser per tyre than in Bangalore. Yoko Earth 1 is really good but hard compound and tyre noise on cement roads is the only gripe.

Conti UC6 is like a Michelin in an affordable price band. Price difference between UC6 and earth 1 is about 750-800 per tyre.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:11   #827
BHPian

Finally, as the date of delivery for my long awaited car is announced, my belief that I should change the OEM tyres to something more rugged becomes firmer.

To provide a little context, my XUV 700 AWD L is scheduled to be delivered any time this month.

As I went through the ownership threads , it looks like switching the OE tyre (MRF Wanderer HT 235/60 R18) to an AT tyre is not something that may be labelled overenthusiastic (or is it?)

As there are very limited options available for the 235/60/18 all-terrain tyres, I am making up my mind to downsize the wheels to 17" and look for options available here.

Using the tyre size calculators available , I have shortlisted the following tyres as the difference from the OE tyres is < 0.5%

1. Ceat Czar A/T 235/65 R 17
2. Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65 R 17
2. Apollo APTERRA AT2 255/60 R 17

To all the learned folks here, can you please advise on the following pointers :

1. My usages will be mostly highways and, with all probability, once a month we'll make a trip to the hills (some offbeat places). During the hill trips , all round the year, we encounter snow, mud, gravel etc . Though, I am not going to try any hard core off-roading with this car, is it okay to switch to A/T or should I stay on the OEM?

2. What could be the possible side-effect (change in road noise/mileage/handling/etc) of downsizing the wheel and/or stretching the width of wheel to 255. Even if the difference as per the tyre size calculator is <0.5%

3. What could be the overhead cost incurred in exchanging the tyres and wheels in this case?

4. Which tyre should one choose from the above? Please add if there are any other recommendations.
D_Security_Guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 12:46   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
I would suggest if you're going for all 4 tyre change, you can get it shipped from BM Lal tyres in Chennai as their prices are 800-1k lesser per tyre than in Bangalore. Yoko Earth 1 is really good but hard compound and tyre noise on cement roads is the only gripe.

Conti UC6 is like a Michelin in an affordable price band. Price difference between UC6 and earth 1 is about 750-800 per tyre.
Thanks Jithin! That makes it really clear on the best choice of footwear for my car especially the EcoSport. Since I am not really worried about the tyre noise as it would be fine when windows are rolled up (and its always so in my case), I only want long life and less punctures (though one cannot help it in our roads even with a new tyre).

Planning for a big drive up north in April and want to have brand new set of rubber for the nearly 10k of pure pleasure of a road trip. If that materializes then will make the tyre changes soon else will pull on for some more time on the old ones itself
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:12   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunildn View Post
Basis the suggestion from fellow BHPian's, yesterday I changed my car tyres with Yokohama Earth1 (195/55/R16) and it feels good with new tyres.
The new tyres really look cool sunildn. Let me know how they ride.

My car is Elite I20 sports with non alloys (185/70 R14) and the tyres have developed flat spots as it was parked in the basement for the major part of 2021.

Currently the car has Goodyear Assurance (manufacturer provided) and based on the discussion here seems like Yakohama is the most popular choice. My driving is 50% city and 50% highways. The current Goodyears are a decent set of tyres but there is a lot of road noise on concrete surface especially. I guess that fact is true for all hard compound tyres.

Planning to change the front 2 set now followed by the rear 2 after 2 months. Spare tyre is barely used and plan to keep it for emergencies only.

Looking for feedback/suggestions
Old 6th March 2022, 23:42   #830

Hi everyone,

I drive i20 and its relatively brand new. It came equipped with CEAT Secura Drive 195/55 R16 tyres. I am looking for increased stability at high speeds (both straight line and cornering) and also in comfort if possible.

Shall I upsize to 205/55 R16?

Which option is preferable please? Michelin Primacy 4ST, Continental UC6, or any other option to suit my need?

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th March 2022 at 17:20. Reason: Fixing numerous spelling and language errors.
ViperCDX is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th March 2022, 21:29   #831

Hi all, My father's 18 years old Zen petrol needs a new set of tyres. The rims are stock steel ones and its not a daily runner.

Its mostly city driven with occasional high speed runs nearing 100km once every 4 months on highway. The current Ceat Milaze are almost seven years old and for peace of mind want to change all the tyres.

I would prefer stock tyres without any upsizing or fancy spacers etc. Request you to please suggest which brand and type would be most suitable. Any pointers to decent tyre dealers in Hyderabad would be most welcome

Current Odo reads 50,000kms

Regards,
irs_2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 22:16   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irs_2s View Post

I would prefer stock tyres without any upsizing or fancy spacers etc.

Current Odo reads 50,000kms

Regards,
With your running, no change in size, (fancy spacers don't even come into the picture LOL) just get any tyre that is OE size that fits your budget
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 18:37   #833
BHPian

Guys, its time for changing new set of tyre for my Nissan Kicks which has done 47k on stock apollo apterra Hp tyres. They came in the size 215-60-R17.

I am confused in choosing between Michelin Primacy and Continental UC6. I have used michelin XM2 twice in my Chevy beat which is at 185,000 kms on odo and recenly changed to MRF as I have planned to retire it. I was so comfortable and satisfied with michelins and decided to opt the same for my kicks. But to my surprise almost 4 of my known dealers are telling me both Michelins and UC6 are equally good, but suggesting to go with UC6.

Now my question is does any of the tyre brands provide some kind of demo or test drive so that customer like me can decide based on the drive experience ?

Last edited by jeganatu : 16th March 2022 at 18:42.
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:57   #834
BHPian

Hello friends

Can I upsize tires on a Celerio CNG from 14 in to 15 in? What might be the negative implications and will it be worth any ensuing performance improvement, if any?

Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 22:39   #835
BHPian

I am not much aware of what tyre brand or particular series of tyre is good for a car. The go to tyre brand that is used and has not given any sort of problems is Bridestone.

What set of tyres would be good for Slavia 1.5 which comes pre equipped with Ceat Securadrive or Goodyear Assurance if I am not wrong.

Firstly, should the tyres be changes in hope for better of everything (Ride, Comfort, Handling) ?

If yes, then can someone please suggest a set which would be grippy, offers a smooth and comfortable ride while being quite too? Basically, the best balanced set of tyres. Some brands that I have read are good on the forums are Michelin, Yokohama, Bridgestone and Continental.
Old 10th May 2022, 13:01   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post

Planning to change the front 2 set now followed by the rear 2 after 2 months. Spare tyre is barely used and plan to keep it for emergencies only.

Looking for feedback/suggestions
I had replaced my Goodyear Assurance with Yoko Earth1 tyres and there is huge difference in car driving dynamics post change. The Yokos are very silent (tarmac & cement) and also absorb small bumps better than Goodyear. Since replaced just 2 months back cant comment on wet handling but i guess it should be equally good. So far have driven 3k kms post change and have not faced any issues (i have same profile tyres).
autoweirdo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:14   #837

Hi all!

Bit of a newbie here. Typing this as I await delivery of my new Skoda Kushaq Style 1.0 TSI AT in Carbon Steel! Happened to visit the car at the yard yesterday to do my PDI and noticed that the cars from this batch come shod with MRF Wanderers in 205/55/R17.

I am a firm believer in moving to the best possible compound of tyre for my usage as soon as I take delivery. I'm completely sold on Michelins but have come to realise that the closest spec I can find to the stock tyres is a 215/55/R17.

As someone who has opted for the optional Extended Warranty, I'd like to know if upsizing to the Michelin's would void my warranty or extended warranty. Logic suggests that that a tyre swap shouldn't matter but manufacturers tend to get a little fastidious on details and I would appreciate if anyone here could shed some light on this scenario.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 28th May 2022, 11:42   #838
BHPian

Hi All,

Just replaced the tyres of my Ecosport titanium, after a lot of research. My choices were narrowed to UC6, Yokos Earth1 & Ceat securadrive.

UC 6 was my first choice as I was already using the MC5 & was happy with the overall performance. However, tyre life in these are pretty short. After driving about 40k kms, they started feeling hard with increased noise level.

Finally after much thought, opted for the securadrives for 4 wheels & manufactured between March & April 2022. Got a good deal, costed me 23k including balancing & valves. Also chose to upgrade from the stock 205/60/16 to 215/60/16. Need to see how that is going to pan out. The initial driving impressions are good. Noise levels are very low.
iamsai_iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 11:48   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasmudumbai View Post
Hi all!

Bit of a newbie here. Typing this as I await delivery of my new Skoda Kushaq Style 1.0 TSI AT in Carbon Steel! Happened to visit the car at the yard yesterday to do my PDI and noticed that the cars from this batch come shod with MRF Wanderers in 205/55/R17.

I am a firm believer in moving to the best possible compound of tyre for my usage as soon as I take delivery. I'm completely sold on Michelins but have come to realise that the closest spec I can find to the stock tyres is a 215/55/R17.

As someone who has opted for the optional Extended Warranty, I'd like to know if upsizing to the Michelin's would void my warranty or extended warranty. Logic suggests that that a tyre swap shouldn't matter but manufacturers tend to get a little fastidious on details and I would appreciate if anyone here could shed some light on this scenario.

Thanks in Advance!
Had the same doubt!, My Kushaq 1.5 also came with the wanderers which are not great. Got them changed to Michelin Primacy 4 ST 215/55/17. When I enquired people, most of them said it's not a big deal as the manufacturer has to prove that the tyre change caused a fault which is really unlikely. But please do your research as well.
dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 22:55   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
Had the same doubt!, My Kushaq 1.5 also came with the wanderers which are not great. Got them changed to Michelin Primacy 4 ST 215/55/17. When I enquired people, most of them said it's not a big deal as the manufacturer has to prove that the tyre change caused a fault which is really unlikely. But please do your research as well.
Thanks for this! I ended up going the same route as you, coincidentally. Utterly in love with this tyre. Massive difference from the MRFs. Worth every buck.

Most Viewed