Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 18:51   #871
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Hi everyone. What upsize options do we have for a MG Hector 2023. The current size the vehicle comes on is 215-55-18. I would like to upgrade to preferably 225-55-18 or better 225-60-18. Some queries as below-
1. Would it be advisable to upgrade considering warranties.
2. What would be the best size for the upgrade.
3. What tyres do you recommend.

With better road grip, I would also like to have a better overall look of the car with the wider shoes. My running would be around 12k Km’s per year.
Thanks in advance.
Old 17th April 2023, 18:59   #872
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quick queries:.
My Feb 2021 Manindra Thar P AT HT is 99% driven by me. 90% usage is in city and on highways. 10% is trails and estate roads and mild off road.
I am on the stock OEM CEAT Czar AT tyres. These have run 22000 od kms in these 26 months. I typically balance them and align the wheels and rotate the tyres every 5000 kms or 6 months. And I am careful about maintaining the correct air pressure.

1. How long, considering the above, will these be likely to last?
2. I am thinking aloud about what tyres to consider at the next change.

Inputs and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 17th April 2023, 19:48   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

1. How long, considering the above, will these be likely to last?
2. I am thinking aloud about what tyres to consider at the next change.

Inputs and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I'd say they will last about 3 years and 40K kms or ~ 30K with some trail use. Once the siping is gone, it won't perform as well when the roads are wet, that would be your clue to replace them.

Replace with the same set or Crossdrive or Wanderer AT - make sure they all are OWL so that the looks are maintained. You won't complain when you damage them on trails , you won't feel bad when you do wilfully drive them spiritedly over rough terrain, it's a Jeep after all , let it run free.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 21:27   #874
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
3 years and 40K kms or ~ 30K with some trail use. Once the siping is gone, it won't perform as well when the roads are wet, that would be your clue to replace them.

Replace with the same set or Crossdrive or Wanderer AT - make sure they all are OWL so that the looks are maintained., it's a Jeep after all , let it run free.
Great pragmatic inputs as usual. thanks a lot!
Do you think, that when the time comes to change, which basically will very probably be around 1 year or 18 months from now, I should ‘lightly’ upsize to 265’s? And is it worth going for those Maxxis 980 AT’s?
Old 18th April 2023, 22:36   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Great pragmatic inputs as usual. thanks a lot!
Do you think, that when the time comes to change, which basically will very probably be around 1 year or 18 months from now, I should ‘lightly’ upsize to 265’s? And is it worth going for those Maxxis 980 AT’s?
See if you can borrow a friend's vehicle fitted with larger and more aggressive tyres , if the steering feel is okay and not feeling heavy or it's a bit late to respond to your inputs , the accelerator and brake inputs too should be as per your expectations, in an ideal scenario the upgrade should not make it's presence felt, vehicle should feel as quick and agile as it is right now, else for your use case the spirited performance of the vehicle will be lost - that is Thar's DNA.

Keep the upgrade as close to original tyre + wheel weight combination while opting for a more agressive-looking yet highway friendly tyre. Some tread pattern references would be - Geolandar G015, LTX force , Dueler AT. 5 grooves, plenty of siping and open shoulder.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 04:55   #876
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Keep the upgrade as close to original tyre + wheel weight combination while opting for a more agressive-looking yet highway friendly tyre. Some tread pattern references would be - Geolandar G015, LTX force , Dueler AT. 5 grooves, plenty of siping and open shoulder.
Thanks!

I appreciate the ‘softness’ of the Michelin LTX Trail and Force. And the Geolandar G015/G016. Have not considered Bridgestone. Wondering about MRF Cross Drive and Wanderer (apart from the Ceat Czar), thought about Apollo Apterra AT2, Continental Cross Contact and perhaps even the normal sized BFG and/ or Maxxis. All of these are pretty expensive.

I am not at all one for upsizing just for the sake of upsizing and I am also not interested in the ‘show’. Just want equal or better cushioning and toughness and ‘pliability’ as well as longevity. (My OEM stock Czars are in excellent shape right now and I ll keep them that way as best I can, but I have to allow for some level of age and wear which is why these questions.)

Since the Thar comes with 255/65/18 AT I wanted only to explore the ‘light’ upsize to 265/60/18 AT in order to enhance comfort and performance.

I am not keen to go for the real big oversize like 285 and 305 and all that, though many Thars which I see around, have such sizes mounted. Yes it looks wicked and mean and aggressive. I know that such an upsize will eat into articulation, driving and steering dynamics and stress the suspension and the tailgate mount and increase fuel consumption, none of which I want to do.

So the specific size and type I am interested in is 265/60/18 AT. But I want to ask if there are any further and better recommendations and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_9896.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th April 2023 at 05:02.
Old 5th May 2023, 15:14   #877

Hello BHPians,

Need your suggestions for my first (kind of) tyre purchase for i20 Diesel car (2017 model). The car has Goodyear Assurance 195/55 R16 tyres. A few weeks ago, one of tyre got damaged beyond repair. So, I need your help with 2 main questions:

1. Tyre qty.: Some of my friends suggest to go for purchasing 2 tyres instead of 1. Since, the remaining 3 tyres are ~2.5-3 years old, they said getting only a single one will make it it's tread worn-off much quickly. So, I should get 2 for front side and push the front tyres on the back. Moreover, if I go with 2 tyres, should I just keep the spare one out of original 3? I have heard the used tyres degrade without use, maybe their rubber tends to get harder or so, not sure.

2. Tyre Brand: Since the existing good-years haven't given any issue, I thought to get a similar one. However, the majority of vendors are promoting Ceat and/or highers (Yokohama, etc.). The good-years are almost non-existent. Even the dealers listed on Good-year's website didn't have their stock and asking to go with a different brand.

Some of the things I asked/listed may appear like coming from a total newbie. Apologies for that.

Thanks!
Old 24th May 2023, 09:14   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatin21 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Need your suggestions for my first (kind of) tyre purchase for i20 Diesel car (2017 model). The car has Goodyear Assurance 195/55 R16 tyres. A few weeks ago, one of tyre got damaged beyond repair.
Have the same year i20 Active SX Petrol. Was in the same boat. Decided to go with Yokohama BluEarth GT and for the front two tyres only while rotating the rest with the best tread. Good tyres, totally worth the money.

If you want slightly cheaper and decent options, why don't you check out the MRF Perfinza? Heard good reviews of it.
Old 25th May 2023, 21:36   #879
BHPian

My ScorpioN Z8L 4WD just came home. In two minds regarding tyre change to A/T. Is an A/T tyre upgrade right now absolutely necessary? I plan to do touring in this vehicle, which would also comprise of some snow driving in things like winter Spiti (once in a year) and some slush/mud in the western ghats region (3 times a year). No plans of doing hardcore off-roading.

The vehicle is currently shodded with Apollo Apterra HT2 tyres which also has M+S markings on it, which I suppose means its an all season tyre.

The issue is that the least available All Terrain size is 265/65 R17. And there might be speedo error, more tyre noise on highways, lesser mileage, etc.

Really need your help with this.
RevvMusic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 09:32   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
My ScorpioN Z8L 4WD just came home. In two minds regarding tyre change to A/T. Is an A/T tyre upgrade right now absolutely necessary? I plan to do touring in this vehicle, which would also comprise of some snow driving in things like winter Spiti (once in a year) and some slush/mud in the western ghats region (3 times a year). No plans of doing hardcore off-roading.
I recently switched out the tires on my Tata Hexa from Bridgestone HT tires to Continental Cross Contact ATs and the difference in comfort, ability to handle bad roads/no roads and road noise is significant!

The Conti CC ATs come with an aggressive tread pattern with very tall treads, and that is immensely helping with navigating bad roads and with overall comfort.

One side effect of the tall/wide treads is that the tires now pick up loose gravel from the road and fling them onto the wheel well and underbody, causing banging noises inside the cabin! Perhaps some underbody insulation is in order...

Based on the use case you've described, I think HT tires are pretty much ruled out, and you need to consider a good AT tire. You can also consider Yokohama Geolandar G015, though there were some reports of weak sidewall issues with it. I have personally used them in my XUV 500, and had no sidewall issues, but did have a bunch of regular punctures due to nails, screws etc., on the roads.

Upsizing: Upsizing by one size is usually ok, as long as the wheel width can handle it. Look for the width rating - it's mentioned as 6.5J, 7J, etc. Check with any online tire sizing calculator.

Of course, you need to make sure the upsized tire will not scrape against the wheel well on full turn.
vijaysrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 10:20   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
Upsizing: Upsizing by one size is usually ok, as long as the wheel width can handle it. Look for the width rating - it's mentioned as 6.5J, 7J, etc. Check with any online tire sizing calculator.

Of course, you need to make sure the upsized tire will not scrape against the wheel well on full turn.
Thanks for your insights.
The problem here is that the upsizing is by two sizes (from 245/65 R17 to 265/65 R17). The least available size in the market as of now is 265/65 R17. This is why my concern for the speedo error, lesser mileage, road noise of AT tyres and also under full articulation, sidewalls will touch. Also, I am in Bangalore, so once in a year trip to the Himalayas will be a 2500Km one-way highway drive first.

I was looking at Apollo Apterra AT2 tyres, but then the official TBHP review of the Gurkha states that they are noisy even at 60kmph.

Last edited by RevvMusic : 26th May 2023 at 10:32.
Old 27th May 2023, 01:29   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Thanks for your insights.
The problem here is that the upsizing is by two sizes (from 245/65 R17 to 265/65 R17). The least available size in the market as of now is 265/65 R17. This is why my concern for the speedo error, lesser mileage, road noise of AT tyres and also under full articulation, sidewalls will touch. Also, I am in Bangalore, so once in a year trip to the Himalayas will be a 2500Km one-way highway drive first.

I was looking at Apollo Apterra AT2 tyres, but then the official TBHP review of the Gurkha states that they are noisy even at 60kmph.
I understand your dilemma and here's my take.

In view of your usage, I wouldn't really recommend an AT tire for all the reasons that you've listed and are very well aware of already. Even if you do make this annual trip to the Himalayas, there's no need for an A/T tire (I was born in Shimla and have spent all my adult life in the Himalayas driving Petrol Mahindras (CJ-3B) and Gyspys (410, 413, 413W) and most of the time these vehicles came with cross-ply tires and not even radials).

If you were to upgrade to a 265/65R17 in addition to all the downsides that you've listed your overall rolling diameter will go up by 3.7% (slightly more than recommended tolerance of 3%) and the odometer will be off by 3.3% which is not a huge deal (a lot of SUV owners do upgrade to one size bigger) however the reasons that are making you uncomfortable and preventing you from pulling the trigger is what should drive your decision. Your point about the tires rubbing with the wheel well at full articulation is not quite correct as most manufacturers do provide enough clearance keeping in mind the fact that a few owners will go in for larger tires and honestly on how many occasions is this likely to happen and even if it does that's not a huge issue. The construction of modern tires is quite robust.

I have been driving for almost 39 years in all sorts of conditions from the deserts of Rajasthan at 47C to bone-chilling Alaska highway at -38C and yes tires do play a very important role in your ability to keep the vehicle and the occupant safe however given your driving conditions you would do very well to stick to HT tires.

I would recommend though, switching to Bridgestone Dueler D840 or a Michelin Primacy SUV that are available in 255/65R17 size and have a softer rubber compound, this will provide a quieter ride in addition to tackling the rough stuff with ease.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 27th May 2023 at 01:35.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 00:10   #883

Hello. I am looking to replace tyres on my 2016 Baleno Delta (Petrol) as the OEM fitted tyres (185/65 R15) have completed almost 49k kms in last 7 years. The tyre noise is very high now, especially on highways.

My requirements are low tyre noise/silent ride, good wet and dry grip, comfort and not prone to punctures.

Also, please guide if I can upsize to 195/65 R15 tyres on the current rims (OEM).

My shortlisted tyres are:
1. Yokohama BlueEarth GT AE51 - 185/65, 195/65
2. Bridgestone Turanza T001 - 195/65
3. Bridgestone Turanza T005 - 185/65
4. MRF Perfinza - 195/65
5. MRF ZLX - 185/65

I have gone through a lot of threads here on TeamBHP after which I have shortlisted the above tyres.
Old 30th May 2023, 16:44   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dhruva View Post
Hello. I am looking to replace tyres on my 2016 Baleno Delta (Petrol) as the OEM fitted tyres (185/65 R15) have completed almost 49k kms in last 7 years. The tyre noise is very high now, especially on highways.

My requirements are low tyre noise/silent ride, good wet and dry grip, comfort and not prone to punctures.

Also, please guide if I can upsize to 195/65 R15 tyres on the current rims (OEM).

My shortlisted tyres are:
1. Yokohama BlueEarth GT AE51 - 185/65, 195/65
2. Bridgestone Turanza T001 - 195/65
3. Bridgestone Turanza T005 - 185/65
4. MRF Perfinza - 195/65
5. MRF ZLX - 185/65

I have gone through a lot of threads here on TeamBHP after which I have shortlisted the above tyres.

Here is what I know about the sizes, Dhruv. You can always get an expert's opinion before taking the leap.

You are switching from 185/65/R15 to 195/65/R15.

So,

A. The tyre width is changing from 185 mm to 195 mm.

B. The rim size stays the same at 15 inches.

C. The aspect ratio stays unchanged at 65%.

Now, the aspect ratio of the tyre is the ratio of the height of the sidewall from the rim to that of the width of the tyre.

Thus, in your case, as the width changes and the aspect ratio remains unchanged, the sidewall height will increase. This increases the overall height (which can also be called the diameter or the running radius) of the tyre as well.

Now here comes the problem: since your vehicle's speedo and odo are tuned to its OEM specs, an increase in the tyre diameter will lead to an incorrect reading in your speedo and odo. It happens by a small percentage.

Due to the above error margin being introduced, it is always recommended to upscale or downscale tyre sizes in such a way that the change is between 0 and 2%.

In your case, the change is above 2% but it is by a very small margin, so just a heads up on that.

The rim width also plays a role in the size of compatible tyres. You can get that information from the below thread by yaseenar:

227878-understanding-alloy-wheels-width-pcd-offset-etc.html (Understanding Alloy Wheels (width, PCD, offset etc.))

You can also use these for reference:

tyrestore.in/upsizing

mycarhelpline
Old 30th May 2023, 21:52   #885

Hello Ankur, Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, calculation wise, it's little over 2% (but less than 2.1). So that's why I am considering it. I am fine with slight error in odo/speedo meter, but if any implications are there handling wise or any other thing, I would request tyre masters here to advise on that.

I wouldn't want the driving dynamics of the car to change too much.
SC Dhruva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed