Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 21:30   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
First two of your choices looks nice. XL tyres charges bit premium over other dealers, but considering the differential cost for this size of transaction, go with anyone whom you are comfortable with. Please do ensure that you get right prices for the tyre exchange. I have PM'd you a used tyre dealer contact, please do check with him before you put your tyres for exchange. I got 3X prices for my used tyres than what XL tyres offered me.

Also, if possible take a look at Haute Car Zone on OMR road next to CARS India as they have variety of alloys collections (though prices are on higher side)

PS: You can also check out Apollo Acelere
Thanks surprise for the info. My work place is in OMR only, will visit haute car zone as well. shall check there and post update.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:33   #287
BHPian

We have recently purchased a Tata Indigo Manza Safire Aura. Now, as is already known Manza doesn't come with any alloys and I am actually relieved since OEM alloys are frankly quite bland (FIAT being an exception).

Now I am a newbie to tyre upsizing. I do know that manza comes with 15" wheels with 5.5J x 15 configuration. I also understand that 108PCD alloy will be required.

Tyres on the vehicle are 185/60 R 15.

Now, I really want to go 16" on my car. Reason: The wheel arches are quite big and spoil the vehicle stance to some extent and I want to minimise this with a tyre upsize.

So, Could you people please advise me on :

1. The correct tyre upsize for this vehicle. Aesthetically, I would like reduce tyre profile to 55-50. Is it advisable?

2. The alloys that are compatible with my vehicle.

3. Some deviation in FE, Handling, and comfort is acceptable but large deviations need to be avoided.

4. Which are the best companies for Alloys. I need my alloys to be elegant, sophisticated and yet stand out.

5. Best Tyre company for the recommended upsize.

6. Price is not a major concern. (Not major concern but not totally unconcerned. )

Any help in this regard will be absolutely great. I do need to sort this out early though since the car is due for delivery in coming week. Also, colour of vehicle is Noir Grey in case it would help on deciding the alloy choice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:07   #288
Senior - BHPian

Hey Akhilesh , you could easily upsize to 16 inchers. The tyre size you could look at are 205/50/16 or 205/55/16. Another thing you could do to fill the wheel arches is to stick to 15 in alloys but get a slightly higher profile tyre say 205/65/15.The brands I would reccommend are continental or michelin. As far as alloys are concerned its a personal thing and depends what style and colour you looking at. Go to you local alloy shop and short list a few and then decide.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:24   #289
BHPian

Hello Friends ....... I need some help from you guys regarding the tyre upgradation of my friend's honda jazz. He has recently upgraded his stock tyres from 175/70 R15 to 195/60 R15 Michelin. He's just concerned that is this the right upgrade for his jazz or not ?? The reason for this change was he felt the car had skinny tyres wich resulted in lot of body roll while cornering. Plz suggest.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:07   #290
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 View Post
He has recently upgraded his stock tyres from 175/70 R15
The stock tyres are 175/65/ R15

Quote:
to 195/60 R15 Michelin.
Only a 1% difference in diameter. There is nothing wrong in the upgraded tyre size (though I personally think a 185 patch is enough for the Jazz).
Old 31st March 2010, 13:20   #291
BHPian

@ Gto

thanx for the reply GTO, this will make him feel relaxed .
And yes the stock tyres are 175/65/ R15 ..... my mistake.
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:56   #292

tyre prices

hi everyone,

i recently (1-Apr-2010) enquired about the continental cpc2 195/60 R14 at madhu enterprises in bangalore. They quoted Rs 4350. Is that the correct price?

They also quoted XM1+ -> 4700
and Advan Neovas -> 5500

I plan to upgrade the stock tyres on my Palio 1.6

pls help
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:54   #293
BHPian

[quote=Nikhilb2008;1557765]See this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/497430-post3.html

My small contribution to this thread in addition to the fantastic work done by KPzen and iraghava.

HONDA

ANHC and Jazz: Both come with 175/65 R15 tyres. Goodyear, MRF and Michelin are OEM suppliers. If you book yiour car, ask the dealer to give you your car with the Michelins. Even if you know you are going to change the tyres within minutes of taking delivery of the car, get the Michelins. You will get a better price for those tyres than you would for the GYs or the MRFs. The MRFs are MRF ZVTV. They dont mean anything. The name is just a random collection of alphabets picked out of a scrabble bag. The Goodyears are GPS2s. Pretty much the worst tyres available. Worse than most MRFs, JKs, etc.... They develop wobbling problems after 10-15 thousand kms and no amount of balancing will solve the problem. Highly susceptible to uneven wear. Dont get these tyres even if you are getting them free.

Upsize options: You have 185/65 R15. This is a size introduced only recently. You have few options. Michelin XM1+. That is pretty much it.

185/60R15. Totally useless upgrade. You get the Acelere in this size.

195/60R15:

Best possible upsize. Good ride comfort and decent grip as well. The ANHC is pretty powerful and so, I will recommend the CPC2s or the ES100s(for the enthusiastic driver). If you are the uncle types(not the Elantra Uncles... they are crazy! ), then the Primacy LC would be very good as well.

205/55 R15: If you want a wider than 195 tyre. Look above for options.

A friend of mine recently purchased a Jazz and wanted to change the tyres to Michelin because He thinks he would get a smoother ride but the tyre dealer he has been going for the last 5 years suggested that it wouldn’t make a difference if he changed the tyre to Michelin as the compound that MRF was using in their new tyres was the same as what Michelin is using. Is that true?? So therefore should he be changing my tyres to Michelin. Also, u have mentioned that increasing the size was to 185 is useless. While upgrading he is concerned about the fuel efficiency which is important for him as he will be driving the car in the city 95% (Mumbai) of the times.
So my question is should he still change the tyres to Michelin, should he upgrade the size. If yes, which Michelin tyres would you recommend for the Jazz ??
Old 1st July 2010, 17:31   #294
Senior - BHPian

Hi guy's, I am owing Verna since 2 year's and driven 40000 Km. Currently I am happy with my car's tyres performance (No Alloys for me till now, only tube less) but still I have doubt that should I change them since they are driven 40000 Km.? If yes then which is the good option for me? These are company fitted tyres, What is the age of these tyres?
Old 7th July 2010, 17:57   #295
BHPian

Im purchasing my Swift LDi this week. Dealer has come up with a strange offer. he says the Zxi alloys can be fitted along with the stock JK tire of ldi! is it possible/advisable? Will the tire look broader? Any benefit?

Please advice. And he quoted a 24k for it (Just for the OE Alloys)!!!
Old 7th July 2010, 18:07   #296
Senior - BHPian

If you are getting the Zxi alloys, get at least 185/70-14 or even 195/65-14.

165/80-14 is too thin for the 5.5j Zxi alloys... It will look ugly too..

24k for Zxi alloys is daylight robbery. Ask around with tire dealers they will have a new set of same alloys for 10~15k.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:22   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Hi guy's, I am owing Verna since 2 year's and driven 40000 Km. Currently I am happy with my car's tyres performance (No Alloys for me till now, only tube less) but still I have doubt that should I change them since they are driven 40000 Km.? If yes then which is the good option for me? These are company fitted tyres, What is the age of these tyres?
Generally, in terms of time, the ideal lifespan for tyres on our roads should be about 4 years (from date of manufacture which can easily be checked by reading the sidewall markings) after which you should change them irrespective of mileage & tread left.

In terms of of mileage, there is no particular mileage as there are many variables that affect tyre life like driving style, roads driven on, etc. which are generally different for every individual.
Hence even though you say you have done 40K kms (and IF the tyres are less than 4 years old), check the condition of your tread. If its yet good, then there shouldnt be a problem in using them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Xehaust : 7th July 2010 at 18:23.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:51   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Generally, in terms of time, the ideal lifespan for tyres on our roads should be about 4 years (from date of manufacture which can easily be checked by reading the sidewall markings) after which you should change them irrespective of mileage & tread left.

In terms of of mileage, there is no particular mileage as there are many variables that affect tyre life like driving style, roads driven on, etc. which are generally different for every individual.
Hence even though you say you have done 40K kms (and IF the tyres are less than 4 years old), check the condition of your tread. If its yet good, then there shouldnt be a problem in using them.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the reply...
Mine car is just a 2 year's old so I think I will wait for some time and then think to change the tyres.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:52   #299
BHPian

Dont go purely by time (i.e. in your case 2 yrs), do check your tread as well since you have covered 40K kms.

Only if its still deep enough should you keep on using them. If not, then there are chances of aquaplaning in our already set in monsoons.

And your welcome
Old 8th July 2010, 20:12   #300
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rjvora, Any tyre that has run 40,000 kms is at the end of its useable life. You can continue to use the tyres, but the grip levels will be severely compromised. Additionally, the tyres would have "hardened" which leads to poorer ride quality.

My suggestion : Get new tyres. I typically change mine anywhere between 35,000 (lower limit) - 40,000 kms (tops).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks