Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 10:15   #481

Hi,
Would any one here know where to get MT (mud terrain) tyres in Mumbai ?
Apart from Anand Tyres Shoppe, are there any vendors?
Thanks.
Old 30th June 2014, 23:11   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

CAUTION

The official website of Bridgestone Tyres, India lists some unauthorised dealers, who are in the business of selling their company products. They say these will not come with the company warranty if purchased from these unauthorised sources.
The details are available on this link:

http://www.bridgestone.co.in/Unautho...lesPolicy.aspx

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th June 2014 at 23:14.
Old 7th July 2014, 16:43   #483
BHPian

I need to change the Tyres of my Accent (GLE/Petrol). Existing setup is stock (R13) so would prefer the same. Which ones are good in the market that i can buy?
Old 17th July 2014, 11:01   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinmishra View Post
Hi,
Would any one here know where to get MT (mud terrain) tyres in Mumbai ?
Apart from Anand Tyres Shoppe, are there any vendors?
Thanks.
@vipinmishra You seem to have been fairly active discussing the tires for the Thar and seem to be aware of the trade offs. Can you please summarize them or give me links to what the worthy options are.

Yoko 255/65/16 or Maxxis 762 MT or Maxxis 771 AT. I am thoroughly confused by the myraid of advise I get all the way from Yokos being the safest bet to keeping stock and Bighorns.

Thank you!!
Old 18th July 2014, 18:44   #485

Hi Monkey.
Here is what my understanding and advice is.

Your choice will depend on your off road vs on road use.
MT tyres perform especially well on mud and wet slushy surfaces due to their tread pattern and self cleaning abilities. They also look cooler with their aggressive tread.

Their downside is lesser braking efficiency, which isn't the strongest point of the Thar even with factory fitted tyres and also, MT Tyres perform badly on sand.

AT tyres on the other hand won't perform as well on mud and wet slushy surfaces as the MT, but other than that, will out perform the MT on other fronts such as braking, sand, hard surfaces and even longitivtiy.

The HT tyres factory fitted are suitable only for hard surfaces so they should definitely go out even if you are a recreational off roader, like most folks who own a Thar are.

If off road performance and looks are the priority, go for the Maxxis 762. They fit the 16" hub and the 245 width won't put undue stress on your steering column and assembly.

If all round performance and versatility is a priority and if you plan long drives along with every day city use with occasional off roading, the AT s. Yoko 255/65R s are good.(I hear they have weak side walls though). I don't have an opinion on the Maxxis ATs.

And if you want you jeep to look super cool, throw sense and suitability out of the window, chance extra wear and tear to your steering assembly and the possibility of the inners of the tyres grazing against the wheel arc, then go for the Maxxis 764 Bighorn. But you'll need to replace hubs as well to 15" hubs.

I went for the Yoko ATs but now wish I'd put the Bighorn 764's.
Why? Well...Who in hell buys a jeep out of sense ? It's a crazy decision so I see no reason why "sense" should enter the picture!
But it's always good to make a crazy decision from a well informed standpoint.

Hope this helps.

Happy Jeeping.
Old 19th July 2014, 08:26   #486
BHPian

I have a 10 year old WagonR low mileage, but the 2 of the tyres have developed cracks. These are the stock tires. I have 2 questions:

1. Can i upgrade size to 165/65R13 (OE size 145/80/R13) using the same steel rims
2. Would it be safe to use tubeless tyres in steel rims.

My mom uses the car once or twice a week within city (150-200 kms a month) and is chauffeur driven.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 19th July 2014 at 08:30.
Old 20th July 2014, 01:44   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinmishra View Post
Hi Monkey.
Here is what my understanding and advice is.

I went for the Yoko ATs but now wish I'd put the Bighorn 764's.
Why? Well...Who in hell buys a jeep out of sense ? It's a crazy decision so I see no reason why "sense" should enter the picture!
But it's always good to make a crazy decision from a well informed standpoint.

Hope this helps.

Happy Jeeping.
@vipin thank you for the detailed review. I agree with the last part, I am not buying this out of logic so might as well cross the boundaries of sensible.

Last Q, is there bighorns in some size that can fit on the original wheel hubs?

cheers
Old 20th July 2014, 19:03   #488

If off road performance and looks are the priority, go for the Maxxis Bighorn 762. They fit the 16" hub and the 245 width won't put undue stress on your steering column and assembly.
Old 20th July 2014, 22:59   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I have a 10 year old WagonR low mileage, but the 2 of the tyres have developed cracks. These are the stock tires. I have 2 questions:

1. Can i upgrade size to 165/65R13 (OE size 145/80/R13) using the same steel rims
2. Would it be safe to use tubeless tyres in steel rims.

My mom uses the car once or twice a week within city (150-200 kms a month) and is chauffeur driven.
As you said your wagonr is chauffeur driven in the city 165/65R13 will be of no use,infact wider tyres will give you marginally less FE.

The best upgrade will be 155/75R13 preferably Michelin xm1 they have less rolling resistance and will give more FE

It is safe to use tubeless tyres on steel rims as long as you rims are bent free,
if you feel your rims are in a bad condition get them repaired or replaced before mounting new tyres.A perfect rim is always safe even if you run on tube type tyres also get your wheels balanced and aligned properly after mounting new tyres.

Thanks&Regards
KN
kn09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 23:06   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I need to change the Tyres of my Accent (GLE/Petrol). Existing setup is stock (R13) so would prefer the same. Which ones are good in the market that i can buy?
Get the Michelin XM1 or XM2 if you want more FE and better life,get 175/70R13 if you use your car mostly in the city.If you frequently hit the highway get the 185/70R13 size tyres as they provide the extra grip which always is handy on the highway.Check Bridestone potenza G3 also

Thanks&Regards
KN
Old 21st July 2014, 08:26   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
The best upgrade will be 155/75R13 preferably Michelin xm1 they have less rolling resistance and will give more FE
Are you sure the 155/75/R13 is correct size. I couldn't find that size in Michelin or in changemytyre. I think you meant 155/70/R13?

I will re-check the steel wheels. I stay away from home. Will ask my mom to get the wheels checked before installation.
Old 21st July 2014, 09:06   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Are you sure the 155/75/R13 is correct size. I couldn't find that size in Michelin or in changemytyre. I think you meant 155/70/R13?

I will re-check the steel wheels. I stay away from home. Will ask my mom to get the wheels checked before installation.
Sorry, my mistake I meant 155/70R13 and yes please do the checking.
-KN
Old 21st July 2014, 16:40   #493
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

Am looking for a change for my stock Wagon R CNG tyres soon.

They are running the stock Apollo Amazer 3G(145/80/R13).
There is still some 25% thread left and the tyres look good for another 5K kms.

Recently visited a tyre shop in Thane and checked out the stock and the upgrade 155/60/R13.

Now, the latter will result in lowering the car height to some extent.

The damages:
145/80/R13

I liked the Bridgestone Turanze but they seem to be pricey ar RS. 14.5K per set of 4.
The Apollo Amazer 3G will be approx. 12K for the set but honestly, I would like a change from the Amazers(even an Accelere is ok for me).

155/60R13

The Yokohama Earth 1 is a great choice and my favoured one at Rs. 12K for a set of 4. Michelin XM series will be close to 15.6K and is beyond budget.

-- My query:

1) Shall I stick to the stock sizes? I am getting a good mileage from the WR.
2) Have option of CEAT mileage in the 145/80R13? How are these tyres.
3) How is Dunlop tyres with same spec. They retail lower at Rs. 2.8K for the same stock specification?
4) If I upgrade, will I feel any difference in the driving dynamics(considering WR is not known for great driving feel).

Pls. advice.
Old 21st July 2014, 19:34   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

-- My query:

1) Shall I stick to the stock sizes? I am getting a good mileage from the WR.
2) Have option of CEAT mileage in the 145/80R13? How are these tyres.
3) How is Dunlop tyres with same spec. They retail lower at Rs. 2.8K for the same stock specification?
4) If I upgrade, will I feel any difference in the driving dynamics(considering WR is not known for great driving feel).

Pls. advice.
Hi Arnab,
If you are happy with the FE and the grip from the stock tyres sitck to the stock size,If you are planning to upgrade,the size is 155/70R13 go for the Bridgestone s322 these tyres are factory fitted to wagaonR vxi models right from the begining.

If you upgrade you will only realise you have more grip when you hit the highway,understeer will be marginally less if you opt for wider tyres

Thanks&Regards
KN
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:01   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Hi Arnab,
If you are happy with the FE and the grip from the stock tyres sitck to the stock size,If you are planning to upgrade,the size is 155/70R13 go for the Bridgestone s322 these tyres are factory fitted to wagaonR vxi models right from the begining.

If you upgrade you will only realise you have more grip when you hit the highway,understeer will be marginally less if you opt for wider tyres

Thanks&Regards
KN
Thanks KN.

I believe the upsize is 155/60R 13 and not 155/70R13. Pls. correct me if I am wrong.

Any indications for Ceat Milage or Dunlop?

Also, WR VXI is shod with JK tyres and not BS as you have mentioned.

Most Viewed