Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 16:46   #571
BHPian

Tyres&Rims for Honda Accord

Hi Guys,

I need your help here. Actually I should have posted this before doing it.
I recently changed tyres and rims on my 2012 Honda Accord (4 Door)

New rims are of 18 Inches with 225/40/R18 Dunlop Direzza DZ101.
My daily running is not much but average speed stays at 100KMPH and highest I go is 160-170KMPH and all this happens in extremely hot conditions as I stay in Dubai.

I want to know if the tyre/rims upgrade is correct or not and most importantly is it unsafe to drive with these specifications (tyre burst etc.)
Though I have invested significant amount of money in this purchase but I am ready to change the setup completely if the current one is not safe enough.

Please help.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:29   #572
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Need Advise

Currently I am running 195/60/R14 on my 2007 Baleno VXI. I am planning for a Alloy/tyre upgrade to 15" or 16" for my Baleno and am thinking of Below options.

1. 205/65/R15 or 225/60/R15 - Michelins/Continental
2. 205/60/R16 or 205/55/R16 - Michelins/Continental
3. 225/50/R16 or 225/55/R16 - Michelins/Continental

which one would be a better option for a good ride comfort, grip in all seasons and fuel consumption. I am also considering slight increase in height as Baleno tends to have low GC.

Please suggest options and advises even if you have something else apart from the options above.
Old 8th September 2015, 23:51   #573
BHPian

Hi friends,
Request your views. My Fiesta 1.6 S currently runs on Yokohama S Drives - 195/55/R15. It has run 40k kms with this tyres and needs replacement. The S Drives though have great grip have become quite noisy. Is there a better option available currently. Kindly help
Old 9th September 2015, 21:13   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
Hi friends,
Request your views. My Fiesta 1.6 S currently runs on Yokohama S Drives - 195/55/R15....
You may want to check out Michelin XM2, one of my friends is using in his Fiesta for a couple of years with good feedback.
Michelin XM2s in general are rated a notch above Yoko S drives.
Old 17th September 2015, 23:56   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
You may want to check out Michelin XM2, one of my friends is using in his Fiesta for a couple of years with good feedback.
Michelin XM2s in general are rated a notch above Yoko S drives.
Hi deepv,
Michelin XM2 is not available in this size.
I had checked other options and currently apart from S Drives there is Continental MC5 and Maxxis ipro. Not sure whether the grip level of MC5 will be as good as S Drives.
Old 19th September 2015, 05:28   #576

what kind of tires can I put on the stock Thar rims? Bighorns? These seem to be stock rims. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...x#imageGallery

any ideas?

thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 10:24   #577
BHPian

A few days back my brother (staying in Mysore) found that Michelin tyre in his Honda City (Odo at 25000) got deep cuts on two sides after it hit a pothole (I had spent a week in Mysore recently but never found a pothole though speed bumps were all over the city). He discussed with me whether to replace it with another Michelin. I suggested to get Michelin only and get it placed on front right (driver) side.

When he went to the tyre shop, he was told that the newer Michelin tyres have different thread but it doesn't matter. He also said the new tyre should be used on Front left (passenger) side as this side goes off road more than the right side. I am a little with this.

My questions are:

1. My brother got the spare tyre (never used till date) on front right and new tyre bought now on the front left. So, two new tyres in front now but with different threads. Does it really matter if there is difference in tyre thread (same company).
2. Is the tyre shop guy right that the newest/freshest tyre should be on front left due to off road-ing this side has to undergo?
Old 21st October 2015, 23:57   #578
BHPian

I am looking to change tyres for my Brio. It currently runs stock MRF ZVTV with stock alloys. I am looking for a more comfortable ride along with good grip. I don't intend on changing the alloys, just the tyres alone. What would be the best option? I'm fine with premium tyres if its available in the same size. Priority is much more comfortable ride and good grip.
Old 24th October 2015, 18:53   #579
BHPian

Mods: I hope this is the right thread to post this query, kindly move if you feel otherwise.

Gurus, please advise!

Query: Just got delivery of a set of 4 Falken Sincera tyres which I ordered from Snapdeal. Upon checking for the 4 digit date code on each, found two to be of 2014 (Apr-Jun) time frame and rest of 2015.
All 4 seem okay visually but should I be worried about the 2014 ones and insist on an replacement?
Requesting thoughts from anyone who'd ordered online before? Do they agree for a replacement in case of old stock; if so, how to ensure the next lot is from 2015 batch only?

Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 23:03   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
All 4 seem okay visually but should I be worried about the 2014 ones and insist on an replacement?
Definitely YES!!!

Thumb rule is that new tyres should not be more than 6 months old. And the two tyres are nearly 18 months old. If I would have been in your place, I would have definitely asked for a replacement. This week itself, I purchased Michelin XM2 tyres which are just 3 months old.

Haven't shopped online for tyres but, they must be having a return policy just like they have for any other product and whilst communicating for returning the goods, mention that the replacement tyres should not be older than 6 months.

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 24th October 2015 at 23:21.
Old 24th October 2015, 23:40   #581
BHPian

Re: Tyres&Rims for Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hi Guys,

I need your help here. Actually I should have posted this before doing it.
I recently changed tyres and rims on my 2012 Honda Accord (4 Door)

New rims are of 18 Inches with 225/40/R18 Dunlop Direzza DZ101.
My daily running is not much but average speed stays at 100KMPH and highest I go is 160-170KMPH and all this happens in extremely hot conditions as I stay in Dubai.

I want to know if the tyre/rims upgrade is correct or not and most importantly is it unsafe to drive with these specifications (tyre burst etc.)
Though I have invested significant amount of money in this purchase but I am ready to change the setup completely if the current one is not safe enough.

Please help.
The tyre size seems fine, just keep the right tyre pressure and you are safe from any tyre related accidents. Just that the load on your suspension will be more compared to the stock tyre setup but i guess this will be bare minimum in your case as you are in Dubai where the roads are perfect.

Good choice of tyres
Old 25th October 2015, 11:55   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Definitely YES!!!
mention that the replacement tyres should not be older than 6 months.
Thanks! Initiated a return request and have mentioned this condition. The wait begins!!
Old 25th October 2015, 13:12   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Thanks! Initiated a return request and have mentioned this condition. The wait begins!!
Keep us posted on how it goes.
That's something which I was worried about getting tyres through online purchase when I finally bought offline about six months back.
Old 25th October 2015, 21:23   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Keep us posted on how it goes.
That's something which I was worried about getting tyres through online purchase when I finally bought offline about six months back.
Sure, will do so. I'd this concern even before I put down the order; but one call to the local tyre dealer for a price quote of these kind of sealed the deal for me! The price difference is just too much to go the brick & mortar way; and the few product reviews (on snapdeal) helped me take the leap.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:43   #585
BHPian

UPDATE!

Snapdeal folks called back to understand the reason for 'replacement' request. It was bit of a task to convince them; even though there's no 'problem/defect' with the tyres, they are an year old and hence will affect their life; they countered by the mention of 5 yr manufacturer warranty available on the product.
They're still ready for a full replacement but can't guarantee that all the tyres will be off 2015 make. So, I am tilting towards keeping what was delivered and get it installed; unless the installer raises any other flag wrt any manufacturing defect not observed by me so far. Trying to get them installed in the next couple of days so that if there's indeed any defect found, I can still do a full replacement under the stipulated 7 day period.

Cheers!

Most Viewed