Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2019, 13:28   #721
USR

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
That size seems too unbelievable. I have heard of only 185 or 195 section tires, not anything between these, like 190 that you have mentioned.

My apologies, Its 195/70 R14

Old 11th November 2019, 14:05   #722
BHPian

Need advice for changing all 4 tires for my Brio, please. Requirements are first and foremost - should be super silent and offer great ride quality - since Brio's NVH and ride quality sucks. My running is very less - 30,00kms in 6 years, and 99% city driving.

The car came with super-crap Goodyears, so would stay as far away as possible from that brand. Reading our forum I had almost decided on XM2's until I read that they are not suitable for cars with so less running. I am inclined towards Continental CC5 now. Will Bridgestone Turanazas also fit my requirements? Tire size is 176/65 R14. Thanks!
Old 11th November 2019, 14:19   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Need advice for changing all 4 tires for my Brio, please. Requirements are first and foremost - should be super silent and offer great ride quality - since Brio's NVH and ride quality sucks. My running is very less - 30,00kms in 6 years, and 99% city driving.

The car came with super-crap Goodyears, so would stay as far away as possible from that brand. Reading our forum I had almost decided on XM2's until I read that they are not suitable for cars with so less running. I am inclined towards Continental CC5 now. Will Bridgestone Turanazas also fit my requirements? Tire size is 176/65 R14. Thanks!
I am using Continental CC5 in my i10 for the last 4-5 years (my usage is also low).

I am satisfied with the tyres, they offer good mix of comfort, grip, durability and are very silent.

They are a little pricey, but totally worth the price.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 14:20   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This might be a good time to upgrade to a size higher. Last year I switched to Yokohama Earth 1 in 185 sized 14 inchers (changed from the original MRF 175mm stock tires) on my Brio,and have had a good experience since then. Braking and grip have improved, and the ride comfort is a tad better. If you want softer material with better comfort, look at Michelin XM2s .
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 12:55   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
If you want softer material with better comfort, look at Michelin XM2s .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am using Continental CC5 in my i10 for the last 4-5 years (my usage is also low).

Rohan
Thanks for the valuable input guys. I am inclined towards XM2s. I am a sedate driver, the car doesn't run daily, but good ride quality and silent tires are the 2 things I'm looking for. With my 'less running' pattern, kms are not an issue, but will the soft XM2s at least last 3-4 years?
Old 15th November 2019, 13:26   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the valuable input guys. I am inclined towards XM2s. I am a sedate driver, the car doesn't run daily, but good ride quality and silent tires are the 2 things I'm looking for. With my 'less running' pattern, kms are not an issue, but will the soft XM2s at least last 3-4 years?
Easily.

I think the softer compound and its pitfalls are overhyped and unnecessary negativity floats around it. My friend has been using the XM2s for the last several years on his Wagon R, and apart from a normal puncture or two which happens on any tyre, they have offered stellar performance. He swears by them and they will be his upgrade on his Baleno as well, when the time comes. Ride quality provided by the Michelins is certainly better than the Yokohamas on my Brio.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:05   #727
BHPian

Quote:

Have been using Continental MC5 on my Ertiga for over a year now. Compared to the stock MRF ZVTV’s, they are dead silent. I heard that Conti CC5 is a bit too soft for Indian roads and the MC5 would suit better. And as the name suggests, MaxContact would offer more grip and overall, I think the MC5 offers the perfect balance, and minimizes road noise.
Pegasus1134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:21   #728
BHPian

I have a 2004 MS Baleno Vxi Sedan:
Stock tyre: 165/80-R13

Because of inadequately-sized stock tyre and underbody getting rubbed very often we changed it to
Current size: 185/60-R15.

Now the car's front lower arm and tie rod end is asking for a replacement, I have few queries and expect expert opinions for the same:

1. Did this happen because of the added load from 15 inch wheels? Is this upsize a wrong one?

2. If yes, what can be the ideal upsize considering that the car has completed 15 years. Any specific tyre and wheel recommendations are well appreciated.
Old 10th December 2019, 12:37   #729
BHPian

Came across this brilliant piece of Journalism. We all prefer value for money brands or the high performance tyres that cost a handful. How about sustainability? Should the manufacturers be pushed for the betterment of living standards of rubber farmers? Such insightful documentary. We should keep this in mind during our next tyre purchase.

Old 10th December 2019, 13:51   #730
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

As some of you know, I ve just bought a 7 year old, low mileage, used Mini Cooper S.

This is the first Genuine Imported “exotic” / “sports car” type vehicle that I have ever owned personally in my life so far, though I have driven and used quite a few cars of this type, on various trips abroad.

As an owner I have mostly been owning and using SUV type things for the last so many
Years. And hence my experience is more attuned to the tyres which are suitable for those types of vehicles.

The only other car we have and on which I have recent, direct experience, is my Dad’s Glanza on which I pulled off the Apollo Alnac OEM tyres of 195/55/16 size and replaced them with Yokohama Earth 1 in 205/55/16 size. This has proven to be a good move, in terms of comfort as well as drive ability and of course, the enhanced looks, because these larger profile tyres fill the wheel arches better.

After purchasing the MINI some ten days ago, I have driven around 600 odd kms in it - largely joy riding inside the city and on the highways, just to get more familiar with the vehicle and its behaviour and characteristics, on our Indian Roads and Road conditions.

The tyres it came with, from the previous owner are;
1.Pirelli P Zero 205/55/16 at the rear - (Tubeless and not RunFlat)
2.Michelin Primacy 205/55/16 in front - (Tubeless and not RunFlat)
These tyres certainly fill the wheel arches very nicely indeed.
There is NO spare, but I do have a small tyre inflator/ compressor in the car at all times.
These are definitely not the stock tyres for the Cooper S. However the tyre profile is nice and fat as well as tall/ sidewalls are thick, which gives me some psychological comfort in that these tyres may be better able to deal with the kind of roads that I drive on daily.

These present tyres perform quite well on the city roads and potholes and speed bumps provided one derives carefully. They are excellent on the highways - real good grippy feel. They are quite new (perhaps 2 years old) and have plenty of tread left in them.

I have also been looking at other newer later model Mini Cooper S cars 2015-2016-2018-2019 and so on in India and abroad.

I note that some of the India cars seem to have Hankook 205/45/17. And of course the cars abroad come with RunFlats which according to me are severely impractical in India.

Now, my questions are, when ought I to change/ upgrade my tyres on this car?
As a driver I am quite sedate inside the city and am very careful with the car. But I am pretty aggressive/ spirited, especially when driving on the better quality highways.
Hence, if I do choose to upgrade, then which tyres should I go for?
I’m not planning to change the alloy wheel size and I am not at all convinced about using those extremely low profile tyres in India. In such a case, what ought I to consider doing?

Any inputs and advice would be appreciated.
Old 27th December 2019, 01:08   #731
BHPian

I am on the lookout for a tyre for my Renault Scala. Our car runs less than 6k annually. There's a side wall crack that came up. It is because of this i need to change the tyre. Have few queries. Looking out for bhp'ians support on this one.

1. If only one tyre is bad should i still replace a pair? Considering this will be the first the change at around 25k kms?

2. I would prefer a tyre with a stronger side wall and i am willing to compromise on the ride quality. Basically would prefer longevity over comfort. It would be great if we can get good side wall with comfort.

I have XM2 in mind but I am not sure how good are the side walls. Is there anything else that i should consider?

Tyre size 185/R15 65
Old 30th December 2019, 10:40   #732
BHPian

ideally all tyres should be of the same tread pattern. Or at least both tyres of the same axle should be of the same pattern. This is due to the fact that both tyres should have similar ride characteristics for a balanced ride. Also, if one tyre is damaged, you could consider bringing the stepney into service and keep the odd tyre in spare.
Due to the typical single ply sidewall carcass of radial tyres, they are prone to sidewall impact failures in bad operating conditions.
Dead Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 10:50   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
I have a 2004 MS Baleno Vxi Sedan:
Stock tyre: 165/80-R13

Because of inadequately-sized stock tyre and underbody getting rubbed very often we changed it to
Current size: 185/60-R15.

Now the car's front lower arm and tie rod end is asking for a replacement, I have few queries and expect expert opinions for the same:

1. Did this happen because of the added load from 15 inch wheels? Is this upsize a wrong one?

2. If yes, what can be the ideal upsize considering that the car has completed 15 years. Any specific tyre and wheel recommendations are well appreciated.

Your upsizing is fairly correct , the 185/60R15 tyres are of OD 603 mm while 165/80R13 are 594 mm so a difference is just 9mm ie the tyres you have fitted are just 4.5mm larger in radius compared to the original tyres. That is if the rim size (flange to flange width ) is as recommended. If the rim is too narrow, the diameter of the fitted assembly will increase. But that apart , it could be more likely that the worn out suspension parts are causing the tyre to foul with the wheel arch.
Dead Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 11:07   #734
BHPian

Got the B290 for my 2006 Corolla, 195/60/15, same as the stock set-up. Noticeable difference in cushioning, handling and braking. There is a discernible hum at speeds above 80kph though, which gets louder as speeds increase. I had experienced this when I had newly upsized my old Ritz to wider rims and Yokohama A-drives, which did mute out over a period of a month. I assume the hum will disappear here too. No complaints, and am happy with the new B290s
Old 8th January 2020, 17:33   #735
sbm
BHPian

My Baleno's left front tyre suffered a damage in the sidewall resulting in pressure loss. I got it repaired at a puncture shop and its running OK but I am planning to replace it. I need advice whether to replace that one tyre or should I go for all four tyres replacement. The tyres have done 32k kms and are in good shape (the rest three of them).If I get one tyre changed, where should the new tyre be put. The spare tyre is on different size and has a steel rim no option using the spare as a regular.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks