Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2020, 22:42   #736

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

I have a Baleno 2015 alpha. Till now I have made 1,00,000 kms on Baleno with stock tyres Apollo Alnac 4G 195/55/R16. My impressions are not good as these tyres are not comfortable enough for car like Baleno which has a very stiff suspension set up. Though I enjoyed it on highways, but on bad roads its not a good feeling. Now I am looking to change tyres and also looking for upsizing it to 205/55/R16, may some one please suggest a good VFM from the following tyres
Yokohama Blue Earth
Yokohama Earth 1
Continental MC5
MRF Perfinza
Hankook Kinergy
Old 20th January 2020, 09:22   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybella View Post
Now I am looking to change tyres and also looking for upsizing it to 205/55/R16, may some one please suggest a good VFM from the following tyres
Yokohama Blue Earth
Yokohama Earth 1
Continental MC5
MRF Perfinza
Hankook Kinergy
Yokohama Earth 1 and Blue Earth are both good tires. You can try any of them. I personally have been using these for the last seven years, and have found them to be good for Indian conditions. However, if it is ride comfort that you are looking for, I would suggest you look at Michelin P4ST as well. Though is a marginally higher price range, the ride comfort and general reviews are very good. Currently use them on my City and the experience has been good so far.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 10:46   #738

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Yokohama Earth 1 and Blue Earth are both good tires. You can try any of them. I personally have been using these for the last seven years, and have found them to be good for Indian conditions. However, if it is ride comfort that you are looking for, I would suggest you look at Michelin P4ST as well. Though is a marginally higher price range, the ride comfort and general reviews are very good. Currently use them on my City and the experience has been good so far.
Thank you so much for your advice, I have heard that life of Yokohama tyres are not good, so a bit confused. What are your thoughts on MC5 and perfinza?
Old 20th January 2020, 10:59   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for your advice, I have heard that life of Yokohama tyres are not good, so a bit confused. What are your thoughts on MC5 and perfinza?
Yokohama is perfectly fine, in fact, they are made for Indian roads and therefore quite hardy. However, they are not as great as the Michelins on comfort but the does the job well at a great price point. Durability wise, I have not faced any issues with the Yokos.

Do not have firsthand experience with either the MRFs or the MC5s, so would prefer not to comment on these. Do have a look at the Michelins though - it is a good investment for the slightly higher price you pay.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 11:24   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Baleno 2015 alpha. Till now I have made 1,00,000 kms on Baleno with stock tyres Apollo Alnac 4G 195/55/R16. My impressions are not good as these tyres are not comfortable enough for car like Baleno which has a very stiff suspension set up.
Yokohama Blue Earth
Yokohama Earth 1
Continental MC5
MRF Perfinza
Hankook Kinergy
Please avoid the Earth 1s if you are looking for comfort. These tyres have a stiff sidewall and hard compound rubber which make the ride quality further stiff. My friend upgraded the stock Alnac on his Baleno Alpha to Earth 1 and I find the ride to be harder after the tyre upgrade. Please look for Michelin or go for Perfinza if you want comfort.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 11:27   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I am inclined towards XM2s. I am a sedate driver, the car doesn't run daily..... With my 'less running' pattern, kms are not an issue, but will the soft XM2s at least last 3-4 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
My running is very less - 30,00kms in 6 years, and 99% city driving. ..... Reading our forum I had almost decided on XM2's until I read that they are not suitable for cars with so less running. !
I've been using XM2s for a while and assuming you meant 30,000 kms (and not 3,000 kms) in 6 years then we're in the same boat. My XM2s still have excellent tread depth, ride quality is still supple, and I haven't faced any major puncture issue. Just fill air regularly and these will last you for 3-4 years without an issue.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 13:40   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They last long, in fact I would say longer than the Apollo's. They provide good grip and are not that noisy. But, they are low on comfort when compared to Bridgestone, Michelin and may be Apollo Alnac's as well.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 16:29   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Baleno 2015 alpha. Till now I have made 1,00,000 kms on Baleno with stock tyres Apollo Alnac 4G 195/55/R16. My impressions are not good as these tyres are not comfortable enough for car like Baleno which has a very stiff suspension set up. Though I enjoyed it on highways, but on bad roads its not a good feeling. Now I am looking to change tyres and also looking for upsizing it to 205/55/R16, may some one please suggest a good VFM from the following tyres
Yokohama Blue Earth
Yokohama Earth 1
Continental MC5
MRF Perfinza
Hankook Kinergy
I would suggest Conti MC5. They are right mix of comfort and grip.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 16:56   #744

Hi all, I have a SWB Mitsubishi Pajero, want some guidance whether I should up size the tyres. Currently it has 265/70 R15. I also want to increase the alloys, say 16" or 17"...whatever is practical. Also uploading some pics for your reference.

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-dsc_0009.jpg

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-dsc_0012.jpg

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-dsc_0015.jpg

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-dsc_0007.jpg
harshmirani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 17:02   #745
BHPian

I am looking to upsize the stock 205/65/16 wheels of my Creta VTVT to possibly a 225/55/17's. I have a few questions in this regards, and it would be great is you guys can help me answer them.

1. Will the upsize hamper my existing ride quality as there will be a decrease in the sidewall thickness?
2. Since mine is a Petrol model and the current average I am drawing in mixed driving conditions is around 12-13 KMPL; will there be any significant drop in mileage?
4. Is the upsize good enough, since I am going for a +1 rim size which anyways is available in the SX(O) spec. The only concern here is the section width increase from 205 to 225.

It would really benefit me if you guys can throw some light on this and also provide some info on the tires to go for and the alloys alike.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2020, 02:01   #746
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, The Jeep compass comes with 3 different tyre sizes. The top limited plus with 18 inch wheels, the Trailhawk with 17 and the Sports variant with 16 Inch.

Does this mean that if you plan to do offroadi you could swap out the 18 inch wheel and the 225/55 R18 tyres with 215/65 R16 tyres?

Will this work and is it okay to do this.
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:39   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I am looking to upsize the stock 205/65/16 wheels of my Creta VTVT to possibly a 225/55/17's. I have a few questions in this regards, and it would be great is you guys can help me answer them.

1. Will the upsize hamper my existing ride quality as there will be a decrease in the sidewall thickness?
2. Since mine is a Petrol model and the current average I am drawing in mixed driving conditions is around 12-13 KMPL; will there be any significant drop in mileage?
4. Is the upsize good enough, since I am going for a +1 rim size which anyways is available in the SX(O) spec. The only concern here is the section width increase from 205 to 225.

It would really benefit me if you guys can throw some light on this and also provide some info on the tires to go for and the alloys alike.

Thanks!
1. Ride quality will be hampered a bit but not too much. You can try a creta with 17inch rims and compare with yours if you feel a difference.

2. From 205 to 225 along with bigger wheels on a petrol will definitely cause a mileage drop. Maybe around 1-1.5 kmpl.

If comfort and mileage is a concern get 16 inch rims with 215 width tires. The venue alloy wheels also are a straight fit on a creta if you want OEM only. Else plenty of brands in market like Momo, Plati, Neo, Inforged, HRS etc.
Old 2nd June 2020, 21:38   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
1. Ride quality will be hampered a bit but not too much. You can try a creta with 17inch rims and compare with yours if you feel a difference.
Hi Mr. Nobody, thanks for your reply.
I did get a chance to check the wheels today at a tire shop. Checked a few tire brands ranging from the Michelin's, Yoko's, Conti's and also a few chinese brands like Kenda, Triangle and others. But the overall recommendation were for the Mich's and Yoko's. I also tried inquiring about the Momo tires, but none of the tire shops were keen on selling them stating a lot of customer complaints of tire bursts. Heck, they don't even stock them and only get on order.
The tire guy recommended me the Yokohama BlueEarth-A (guess these are better then the Earth-1), and costing around 10,500/- per tire. The cheaper chinese brands are in the range of 6 - 7k per tire. Quite a difference I must say! This prices are for the size that I am looking for i.e. 22/55/R17.
Additionally, the alloys I am looking for cost Rs. 41,000/- a set. So the total cost of swap I am looking at is around 83K!
Old 2nd June 2020, 21:55   #749
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The tire guy recommended me the Yokohama BlueEarth-A (guess these are better then the Earth-1), and costing around 10,500/- per tire. The cheaper chinese brands are in the range of 6 - 7k per tire. Quite a difference I must say! This prices are for the size that I am looking for i.e. 22/55/R17.
I think he suggested you Yokohama BlueEarth AE-50. Other than this tyre options you have are: Continental ContiPremium Contact 2, Michelin Primacy 4ST, Pirelli Cinturato P1 & P7, Bridgestone Potenza S001.

Out of all these options, I feel Michelin is the best.
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:27   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I think he suggested you Yokohama BlueEarth AE-50. Other than this tyre options you have are: Continental ContiPremium Contact 2, Michelin Primacy 4ST, Pirelli Cinturato P1 & P7, Bridgestone Potenza S001.

Out of all these options, I feel Michelin is the best.
Yes sir, Yoko BlueEarth AE-50. Michelin's are 1500/- more(per tire) then the Yoko's. I am already on a stretched budget to get the Yoko's. Over and above, my running won't be more then say 40k KMS in coming 3-4 years for which I intend to keep the car. Hence, don't want to spend much on the tires.
Michelin's and Bridgestone's are both above 10k. Not sure about the Pirellis though. Having said that, I just went through some reviews about the BlueEarth's and that inspires some confidence.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 2nd June 2020 at 22:47. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks