Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 11:02   #811

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Dear BHPian,

I have an Elite i20 Asta (O) 2016 which has done 46000+ kms. I am planning to change the tyres to Yokohama Earth 1 (195/55/R16) against existing Bridgestone B250. It's been 5 years and I never used the spare wheel, as a result, have an unused brand new B250 tyre.

My query is that, can I buy 4 new tyres and keep the existing spare tyre/wheel as it is, or, should I buy 3 new tyres and use the existing new spare tyre at rear (someone mentioned that, tyres will also have some life and post that, they will become hard) and use one of the good used tyre as spare.

Would request your advise on this please.
sunildn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:44   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunildn View Post
Dear BHPian,

I have an Elite i20 Asta (O) 2016 which has done 46000+ kms. I am planning to change the tyres to Yokohama Earth 1 (195/55/R16) against existing Bridgestone B250. It's been 5 years and I never used the spare wheel, as a result, have an unused brand new B250 tyre.

My query is that, can I buy 4 new tyres and keep the existing spare tyre/wheel as it is, or, should I buy 3 new tyres and use the existing new spare tyre at rear (someone mentioned that, tyres will also have some life and post that, they will become hard) and use one of the good used tyre as spare.

Would request your advise on this please.
Dear Brother,

Firstly I would suggest that since you have a very capable car i20 please do not go for the Yoko Earth1. Yokos are hard compound tyres. Have a look at Continental UC6, Bridgestone Turanza and Michelin tyres if available in your place, they are the best tyres for i20.

Secondly have you considered upsizing to 195/60R16, upsizing will increase the comfort level of your i20 without having any adverse effect on your car's mechanism.

Since your last tyre on the spare wheel has seen 5 years, it will not be a good idea to use it as a 4th tyre with new set of 3 tyres. Tyres have effective softness and grippy character till the 4th year after which they tend to go hard which affects braking, softness/silence of drive quality and most importantly is harsh on the suspension bushes of your car.

I will strongly suggest you to go for 4 new tyres to run on and you can keep a good looking old tyre as spare wheel.

Have a great day ahead.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 16:24   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunildn View Post
Dear BHPian,

Earth1 is perfect for our roads, get 4 of them and use the old unused tyre as spare.
Old 28th December 2021, 11:10   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Dear BHPian,
Can your share your long term six months' experience with your new Bridgestone Turanza.
Thanks.
Hi Sushil.

Covered close to 20,000 Kms on Turanza in 7 months. The tyre still looks fresh and had no punctures yet. The grip is great on these tyres and the noise level was very low for the initial 5000 Kms. Currently, the noise level is not that great but still better than my previous MAXXIS tyres. Overall an excellent tyre.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 11:53   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Hi Sushil.

Coveroed close to 20,000 Kms on Turanza in 7 months. The tyre still looks fresh and had no punctures yet. The grip is great on these tyres and the noise level was very low for the initial 5000 Kms. Currently, the noise level is not that great but still better than my previous MAXXIS tyres. Overall an excellent tyre.
Wow, that is very high running, you have extracted high benefits from the Turanza
Thank you for the update. I've run close to 1000kms on my Turanza in the past three weeks, level of comfort and silence is good with 3 adults and luggage.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 01:58   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Earth1 is perfect for our roads, get 4 of them and use the old unused tyre as spare.
Basis the suggestion from fellow BHPian's, yesterday I changed my car tyres with Yokohama Earth1 (195/55/R16) and it feels good with new tyres. Got them for Rs.7,000/ per tyre and Rs.1,000 for balancing & new valves (Fitting & alignment was free). The manufacturing date in 47th week 2021 i.e. 26th November 21.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_2591.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_2589.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_2588.jpg  

sunildn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 12:22   #817
BHPian

Hi all, I'm thinking of a tyre upgrade in my EcoSport Titanium+ from 205/50/R17 to 215/55/R17.

I know Yoko Earth 1 is a default choice as I already have it on my 16" Ecosport Titanium and it's been really good.

I want to know has anyone used maxxis or ultramile tyres in a monocoque vehicle.

Could any bhpian please recommend a right tyre brand with good life, performance and less road noise. And if anyone has a whole seller contact in Bangalore, it'd be great! Thanks in advance.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:27   #818
BHPian

Hi All,

Looking suggestions from tyre experts here,
I'm looking for new tyres for Chevy Sail UVA, the existing tyre is almost gone and replacement is needed in next 2-3k km

My 80% usages are within the city and tyre profile is 175/70 R14

1. Which tyre brand and make I should opt for?

2. Does the tyre upgrade improve the ride quality?
Old 31st January 2022, 17:08   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Hi all, I'm thinking of a tyre upgrade in my EcoSport Titanium+ from 205/50/R17 to 215/55/R17.

I know Yoko Earth 1 is a default choice as I already have it on my 16" Ecosport Titanium and it's been really good.

I want to know has anyone used maxxis or ultramile tyres in a monocoque vehicle.

Could any bhpian please recommend a right tyre brand with good life, performance and less road noise. And if anyone has a whole seller contact in Bangalore, it'd be great! Thanks in advance.
+1 as I have the exact same query for my Ecosport 16" Titanium.

Have the stock Goodyears which served me quite well nearing 50k mark and it seems to be giving up now. What would be an ideal replacement given the maximum usage being highway runs. Also the best outlet to change them in Bangalore at a competitive price.
Old 1st February 2022, 13:19   #820
BHPian

Hello All,

I am looking for options to replace the space saver tire (145/60 R20) since the one which came with the car is now unusable, normal tyre shops does not seem to have/aware of such a size and Audi is quoting close to 28k and need to place an order to get the part.

Any leads/advice for an alternative source would be helpful.
Old 1st February 2022, 20:23   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponz View Post
Thank you, I had an option to buy to the Michelin's, but decided on the Yoko RV2.
Hi Ponz, how is your experience with the RV02 so far?

I’m considering getting these for a Jeep Compass which will be driven a lot in subpar rural roads.
Old 2nd February 2022, 14:50   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Hi Ponz, how is your experience with the RV02 so far?

I’m considering getting these for a Jeep Compass which will be driven a lot in subpar rural roads.
I am using Yoko Earth1 on my compass and they are just apt in terms of performance, road grip and also aesthetics. I recommend

The RV2 installed on my Jag XF felt slightly noisy on the highway/ expressway ( cemented roads) beyond 110-120 kms per hour, less noiser on tarmac. Given a chance, I would go back to the Pirelli or the Michelin's.
Ponz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:31   #823
BHPian

Hi, need some expert guidance here for replacment tyres for my new Skoda Kushaq 1.0 AT Style I am about to take delivery of.

I want to replace the stock MRF Wanderer 205/55/R17 with 215/55/R17. Am getting a general sense that the Michelin Primacy 4ST would be the best choice. But how about any options in Yokohama or Continental?

Any inputs please? Thanks!
Old 5th February 2022, 11:25   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponz View Post
I am using Yoko Earth1 on my compass and they are just apt in terms of performance, road grip and also aesthetics. I recommend

The RV2 installed on my Jag XF felt slightly noisy on the highway/ expressway ( cemented roads) beyond 110-120 kms per hour, less noiser on tarmac. Given a chance, I would go back to the Pirelli or the Michelin's.
Thanks! Could you share which Pirelli and Michelin tires you're planning to go back to? Their company sites recommend Michelin Latitude Sport and Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season or ATR. I wanted to look at other options in addition to the Earth1 because I read in a few forums about noise and hardening on Earth1 tires after it ages around 3 years.

Last edited by di1in : 5th February 2022 at 11:31.
Old 5th February 2022, 16:54   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Thanks! Could you share which Pirelli and Michelin tires you're planning to go back to? Their company sites recommend Michelin Latitude Sport and Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season or ATR. I wanted to look at other options in addition to the Earth1 because I read in a few forums about noise and hardening on Earth1 tires after it ages around 3 years.
For the Jeep, Michelin Primacy SUV is something a lot of my Jeep club members have opted ( though very expensive almost 19k a tyre). The feedback from them have been great. I use them on my CR-V and the comfort is unbeatable. Cost aside - I recommend.

I have no experience with Pirelli on the Compass, however my precious set on my XF was cinturato P7, very comfortable. Not sure if they are available for the Jeep!
Ponz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks