Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 16:23   #106
BHPian

Hey Vasudeva,
Even though your tyres are only nearly 10K kms, it also depends on how old your tyres are. You see, you have mentioned that your tyres do only about 2K kms per year.
As a rule of the thumb, tyres should be changed every 3 to 4 years irrespective of their mileage as the rubber on the tyre loses its properties (Softness, Grip, etc.).

So if your tyres have done 3-4 yrs of service, even if they have hardly done 10K kms, changing them will definately improve ride and comfort as well as grip.

Another thing worth mentioning here is that given the usage and speed, i would say you can go in for cheaper tyres as well without any hassles. MRF ZVTS and the likes are good tyres and cheaper (Bridgestone as well). Then it depends on you. Michelin XM1s are very good tyres as well. If you dont mind the slightly higher price, id recommend Michelin. But suffice to say, any other tyre is fine for your wife's usage.

Another noteworthy point here would be to go in for tubeless, as they are less prone to puncture. And dont get cheated by the dealers on this, some pass of tube-type tyres as tubeless. Tubeless tyres have clearly mentioned on the sidewall that they are tubeless.

Also, always insist on a warranty and warranty card. These are of immense help should anything go wrong with the tyres.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Xehaust : 29th February 2008 at 16:29.
Old 29th February 2008, 16:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey Vasudeva,
Even though your tyres are only nearly 10K kms, it also depends on how old your tyres are. You see, you have mentioned that your tyres do only about 2K kms per year.
Not 10K but 37K so far. The question is not that they still have some life, but whether by changing tyres, ride and comfort will improve. I can spend 10-12K on new tyres provided there is a benefit in replacing them 10K earlier than expected. This is because in another 10K kms, the car would have been sold (2-2.5K/year and 3-4 years). Do let me know, if yes, it is worthwhile, and then Michelin XM1/.... (other brands) 175/70-13.
Old 29th February 2008, 16:42   #108
BHPian

Vasudeva, you still havnt mentioned how old your current tyres are. But anyways, you have said they are already 37K done. Avg. Lifespan of a set of tyres is anyways approx. 30K so suffice to say you can change them and will definately see benefits like ride, comfort and even grip. All these will improve and very significantly improve.

Your budget is fine. Just ask around he price of your size in this thread and also read this thread as well from the second last page onwards. I think it will help. Cheers to your new tyres
P.S. - Go in for the Michelin XM1. They are very good tyres.

Last edited by Xehaust : 29th February 2008 at 16:47.
Old 29th February 2008, 16:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

They are 37K old/4.5 yrs (OE fitment on new car bought in 10/2003). Then Michelin XM1 seem good enough? Very good tyres for comfort? (good for me). performance (not so important if it means compromises on price and comfort).
Old 29th February 2008, 16:57   #110
BHPian

Read the link i provided in the previous post. It will help a lot in the buying process.
Yes, Michelin XM1 are very very good enough They are comfort tyres and fit the bill perfectly. And since your tyres are 4.5 years old, changing them is advisable and will result in significant comfort.

Also, when buying the new tyres, ask the dealer to give you a good price for the old ones. Yes, you will get some return even for the old tyres but dont expect too much. Haggle to get the best price.
Also, like mentioned in the link, he should do free of charge alignment and balancing after putting the new tyres. This is very important.

Last edited by Xehaust : 29th February 2008 at 16:59.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:00   #111
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Xehaust. I have changed tyres on my previous cars, and so know there is a resale value of old tyres, and also about all warranty, etc issues. Then it is Michelin XM1 175/70-13 tubeless tyres. My income tax has gone down post budget and I thought better spend some money on my wife's car.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:06   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Thanks a lot Xehaust. I have changed tyres on my previous cars, and so know there is a resale value of old tyres, and also about all warranty, etc issues. Then it is Michelin XM1 175/70-13 tubeless tyres. My income tax has gone down post budget and I thought better spend some money on my wife's car.
Great. Happy Buying Hope you and your wife enjoy your new found comfort.
Do post your experience on this thread later about the tyres.
Old 20th March 2008, 23:07   #113
BHPian

If anyone is buying only 2 new tyres then please make sure to mount the new tyres on the rear axle and the old ones on the front axle. This will ensure that during monsoons you are safe and aquaplaning does not take place.

To understand it better, see this link. Go to the end of the page and also do not forget to see the short video to understand this properly and put things into perspective as to how important this is.

@Mods, if possible, shift this post to the beginning of the thread as more people will come across this small but very valuable piece of information.
Old 20th March 2008, 23:23   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
If anyone is buying only 2 new tyres then please make sure to mount the new tyres on the rear axle and the old ones on the front axle. This will ensure that during monsoons you are safe and aquaplaning does not take place.
Errr. I think it's the other way around. New tyres up front and old tyres at the rear. Cars in india are front wheel drives and your streeing control is also at the front wheels. So you dont want your front wheels to aquaplane, which will happen if you use old tyres at front.
Old 20th March 2008, 23:52   #115
BHPian

Hey praveen,
see the video more carefully. You see, it does'nt make a difference whether the car is FWD or RWD.

The point is that older wheels are more prone to aquaplane. Correct.
So if they are in the front, in event of loss of control, the driver will feel the loss of traction and steer accordingly and hence prevent an accident while the new tyres at the back will have enough grip.

But if the old wheels are at the rear, even if it loses traction, nor will the driver realise and even if he does, he cant do anything to correct it and will lose control even if the front wheels have traction as the rear of the car will sway out of control.

The video clearly demonstrates this with the two cars on the wet track and the lady explains this as well. And thats exactly why there is no mention of RWD or FWD in the video as it doesnt matter because all cars have the steering on the front wheels of a car
Xehaust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2008, 18:01   #116
BHPian

Hi Xehaust,
I have a problem for which I need some expert advice.
I have just bought a new Wagon R Vxi. Upgraded the wheels to Neo 13" alloys (5") tyres from the OEM Jk's to Michelin XM1's after reading the rave reviews about Michelin on this site.
I quite agree with all the reviews. Excellent ride quality.
The only problem is that I have fitted 165 x 65 tyres on the alloys and if I have two adults in the back, the rear tyres are touching the inside of the rear wheel arch.
I went back to the dealer where I bought the tyres from and he suggested tapping the sharp edge of the wheel arch in to avoid it touching the tyre.
Did this very carefully with no effect on the body and there has been an improvement but on large "dips" in the road the rear tyres sometimes still touches the wheel arch.
What do you suggest I do? Do I change back to 155 x 55 tyres? Will that solve the problem? What if the dealer refuses to change the tyres as they have been used for about 800 Kms? Is he liable to change them as I had told him when fitting them that I did not want them to touch the body - common sense really!!
Would really appreciate a quick response to the above as I want to get this issue sorted out tomorrow.
Many Thanks,
Suzuki San
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2008, 21:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Xehaust,
I have a problem for which I need some expert advice.
I have just bought a new Wagon R Vxi. Upgraded the wheels to Neo 13" alloys (5") tyres from the OEM Jk's to Michelin XM1's after reading the rave reviews about Michelin on this site.
I quite agree with all the reviews. Excellent ride quality.
The only problem is that I have fitted 165 x 65 tyres on the alloys and if I have two adults in the back, the rear tyres are touching the inside of the rear wheel arch.
I went back to the dealer where I bought the tyres from and he suggested tapping the sharp edge of the wheel arch in to avoid it touching the tyre.
Did this very carefully with no effect on the body and there has been an improvement but on large "dips" in the road the rear tyres sometimes still touches the wheel arch.
What do you suggest I do? Do I change back to 155 x 55 tyres? Will that solve the problem? What if the dealer refuses to change the tyres as they have been used for about 800 Kms? Is he liable to change them as I had told him when fitting them that I did not want them to touch the body - common sense really!!
Would really appreciate a quick response to the above as I want to get this issue sorted out tomorrow.
Many Thanks,
Suzuki San

i don't think he will change. as 800km is a lot. you have to work around other options, like tweaking the suspension system, etc.

use this tyre calculator!!
Tire Size Calculator
Old 13th April 2008, 21:30   #118
Team-BHP Support

I drive a swift VDI and thinking of upgrading the puny,stupid and idiotic JKs that have come with the car. I will retain the stock rims for sure. No chance of any alloys yet.
What size and which ones should I go for ? 185 ? Michelin.
Major expectation: - Road noise should be as low as possible.
I am not a very hard driver so cornering abilities and handling are not the major requirements, low noise is.
In other words which are the quietest tyres that I should go for ?
Old 13th April 2008, 21:32   #119
Team-BHP Support

On stock rims 185/70-14 is the only size available. If you are planning on upgrading to alloys at a later date then you may try 195/65-14 but on your stock rims the steering will become loose and handling wont be affected much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Mine is a VDI and I dont have alloys. Its normal rims, if that changes something ? What about the road noise part ? Any quieter tyres available ?
edited my post. That was a typo I did mean rims and not alloys. 185/70-14 you have Michelin XM1+ which are very quiet and have good ride.

195/65-14 not many options available. I know of bridgestone potenza G-III but they are more performance based. You can also tyre goodyear venturas.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th April 2008 at 21:46.
Old 13th April 2008, 21:36   #120
BHPian

Rehaan ,

One of the most well drafted and informative posts seen . It provides brief and requisite information . The ppt is also good and does gives good insight .

Most Viewed