Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 14:17   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Modifying my Mitsubishi Cedia

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the various plugs etc. My query is on the negatives of using Iridium plugs. Except for the extra money involved and the reported shorter life compared to standard or even the platinum plugs I have never been given a specific negative observation on these. However it is never too late to learn and reading Raneesh's post gave me a feeling that he might have faced some issue(s). Of course if someone else has had problems with these plugs, I would appreciate if the same were shared here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If I may answer,
Iridium plugs makes sense on a race prep'd engine than a stock one. In fact, on a stock engine, I don't think it makes any negligible difference.
The best ones if you want to upgrade your plugs are the platinum ones. They are reasonably priced and may slightly better your torque. The link below will give you a better understanding,

Last edited by khoj : 12th September 2014 at 14:18.
Old 12th September 2014, 14:54   #197

Guys, thank you all for the answers. The suggestions i have got so far are -

Filters -
1. Green Cotton Filters
2. K&N drop-in filters
3. BMC CAI

Other things -
1. Pete's box
2. Installing a down pipe
3. NGK or Denso spark plugs
4. ECU tuning
5. lightweight flywheel and a clean remap

I am leaning towards getting green cotton filters and NGK or Denso spark plugs. But I need to do more research about the other options as I am not familiar with most.

Will RRP be able to do this? Are there any recommendations for places in Bangalore where I can get these done?
Old 12th September 2014, 15:56   #198
Senior - BHPian

LOL, RRP will be able to do this and a whole lot more. In fact the stuff you want to do at the moment can be done in your drive way.

There are other garages in the country who could do this stuff but RRP is the best and you are lucky that both of you are in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis_on_road View Post
Will RRP be able to do this? Are there any recommendations for places in Bangalore where I can get these done?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 16:31   #199
Senior - BHPian

We have thread on a brand new Cedia that went to RRP for performance mods. Yes, you read it right. The car was brand new.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tsu-cedia.html

Though things didn't go according to plan, that thread will help you a lot. All the best with your project.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 17:16   #200
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modifying my Mitsubishi Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis_on_road View Post
Guys, thank you all for the answers. The suggestions i have got so far are -

Filters -
1. Green Cotton Filters
2. K&N drop-in filters
3. BMC CAI

Other things -
1. Pete's box
2. Installing a down pipe
3. NGK or Denso spark plugs
4. ECU tuning
5. lightweight flywheel and a clean remap

I am leaning towards getting green cotton filters and NGK or Denso spark plugs. But I need to do more research about the other options as I am not familiar with most.

RRP only deal with BMC. They also will not work on Pete's tuner box I would feel since they are competitors.

If you are insistent on Green Filter, you may go to Hot Tracks and get it installed as they are sub dealers of Petes. They could also supply you with a K&N as they also deal with Methods Automotive. You can come back to RRP for the ECU tuning, spark plugs, down pipe and your remap. Do let me know when u intend on visiting RRP. They are set-up really close to my residence.
Old 12th September 2014, 19:46   #201
BHPian

you do not need a fuel pressure regulator.
get the exhaust, the intake , I prefer a short ram intake , it offers more than a drop in filter.
A cold air intake will reduce throttle response due to the long path the air has to travel from the throttle.
paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 20:31   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hello Raneesh, Could you elaborate on the issue with Iridium spark plugs. I just bought a set of NGK Iridiums and was going to install them over the weekend. BTW this too is for a Cedia.
Khoj - I learned it the hardway, before tuning my car to stage2, I thought it would be great idea to put the Iridium spark plugs, got them installed by a reputed mechanic.

The car drove better initially for first 5 miles, then the car started shaking really bad, it turned out to be a ignition coil failure in cylinder-2. Got the ignition coil replaced.

Next day, the car was fine for another 10 miles or so, then the horrible shaking started, this time 2 more ignition coils failed. Finally, I got all coils replaced along with a new set of NGK platinum spark plugs. The car is running just fine ever since, also did the stage-2 tune, she runs great. Total damage to the bank was 600 dollars !!!

Later I found out what "Tharian" has mentioned, modern spark plugs are more than enough for street car. If someone is looking to churn out 800 BHP from an engine, yes, you may want to put an Iridium spark plug with ton of other modifications.

If I were you, I would exchange the Iridiums for Platinum spark plugs.

And once again, I can't emphasis enough on the down pipes, it makes a good difference.

Cheers.

Last edited by raneeshvijayan : 12th September 2014 at 20:33.
raneeshvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 21:22   #203
Senior - BHPian

Woah $600 is a lot of money to spark away, will change with the platinums. BTW could you share which vehicle was this, just curious. Will also explore the down pipes, thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneeshvijayan View Post
Khoj - I learned it the hardway, .........

If I were you, I would exchange the Iridiums for Platinum spark plugs.

And once again, I can't emphasis enough on the down pipes, it makes a good difference.

Cheers.
Old 12th September 2014, 21:26   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Genghis -

#1 .Do not waste your money on a cold air intake, it is not going to do any noticeable improvement in power, a drop in K&N will do almost the same effect to the engine. So, please save that 15k ( and spend whatever it costs for a drop in K&N filter). Note: I have done extensive research on the cold air intake option while I was tuning my Audi, finally settled in with the drop in filter and its working great with my other engine tunings I have done.
Would certainly disagree on this part. An Audi might not show a noticeable improvement per say, but my esteem felt much more easy and the throttle response(rev) was much better with a Green Cotton CAI.

Also, OP, at the price you are getting the exhaust and the regulator, isnt that too much?
Old 12th September 2014, 22:37   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Woah $600 is a lot of money to spark away, will change with the platinums. BTW could you share which vehicle was this, just curious. Will also explore the down pipes, thanks for that.
Khoj - The 'victim' was Audi A3, 2L Turbo. See my previous posts if you are curious on the overall work done.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post3451094

And

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-a3-turbo.html

Raneesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Would certainly disagree on this part. An Audi might not show a noticeable improvement per say, but my esteem felt much more easy and the throttle response(rev) was much better with a Green Cotton CAI.

devilwearsprada - Please don't get me wrong, I am totally ON for replacing the stock air filter with something that will send more air to the engine ( K&N or any other 'High Flow' air filter). My point is you don't need that 'fancy' conical CAI which often requires a couple of hours work.

You may have seen almost the same difference on your Esteem with the drop in K&N filter as you are seeing with the Cotton CAI.

Last edited by GTO : 13th September 2014 at 17:36. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 13th September 2014, 17:41   #206
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnair View Post
add on the Pete's box
Pete's box is awesome for turbo-diesels, but we're talking about a petrol Cedia here

Quote:
Do not waste your money on a cold air intake
The typhoon made a noticeable (small, but definitely noticeable) difference to my Civic. A decent bump up in BHP too : related thread.

Of course, this was the typhoon specifically made for the Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I might know of another place in B'lore that can get you all this stuff for a lot cheaper than big names like RRP. PMing you my number so we can discuss its possibilities further.
A PM helps one person, a public post helps 100X more. Request to please share that contact here itself. Exchanging useful information via private messages defeats the purpose of Team-BHP. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 09:04   #207
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the correction. I did think they make ECU remaps for petrols too. However, I think Race dynamics ( Bangalore based) makes remaps for petrols?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 15th September 2014, 17:32   #208
BHPian

Ford Ikon 1.6 Rocam : Performance upgrades?

Hello Everyone,

I own a 1.6 rocam first gen. Ford IKON.
I have done 1,50,000 kms in it already and am very pleased with its reliability.
This is my first car and i have taken good care of it. I do not wish to sell it.

I have been thinking of Tuning this car and do not know how far we can go in an IKON mainly because:

1. Tuners mostly do not recommend an IKON since it is not very tuner friendly like Hondas(v-tech/civic) or suzukis(baleno/esteem/zen)
2. Aftermarket parts not very popular for ford. Again due to reason number 1.

To begin with I already have free flow exhaust with custom Header and a conical filter.

I would like to know if anyone has or has any inputs on how much we can pull out from a 1.6 ROCAM? lets not keep any budget constraint, since I would anyways do it in stages as well. (I plan to keep this car for lifetime)

I have received many suggestions like picking up a more tuner friendly car and doing that up will be more easier. maybe a city/zen/esteem

I would rather spend the same money on a car i already know well (almost turned into a FORD IKON Mechanic now )and know is in good shape and just pull out a bit more from it.

Some things i have learnt from searching the Similar cars (fiesta mk5/bantam/KA /IKON Suth africa) available abroad are:

1. We can fit larger throttle body from maybe a 1.8 zetec/ or even a 2.0 Mondeo available in INDIA.
2. Amazing options for Engine swaps (again Mondeo /Cosworth)
3. Performance Cam which would boost the power by another 10-12 BHP
4. Boost compression since Ikon runs on a pretty low compression
5. Turbo charge
6. Piggyback ECU

Will someone please let me know if anyone has done any of these things mentioned above?

I have read some posts form one of the members (FORD ROCAM)
I could not reach him earlier. I do hope existing members who have tried doing something on the IKON will give me their valuable inputs.

I have already decided to go ahead with the CAM i mentioned. will place an order soon.

Please let me know if anyone has boosted the compression and fit larger throttle bodies. I would love to hear if there are any succesful Mondeo Swaps done here as well.

Hopefully i get to hear some thing good from experts here

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th September 2014 at 13:39. Reason: Post edited. 2 smileys max per post ;)
hiran77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 11:00   #209
BHPian

re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Rocam : Performance upgrades?

I am not an expert but i think turbocharging would be a good option. You could maybe look for forged internals and then bump compression up a bit so you'll benefit from increased power and longevity from the internal modification and run your turbo on low boost till you get your piggyback ecu. I think a 10-15% minimum gain is definitely possible over stock with these mods. Does ikon have space for mounting an intercooler up front?
Old 16th September 2014, 19:46   #210
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Rocam : Performance upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiran77 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been thinking of Tuning this car and do not know how far we can go in an IKON mainly because:
I suggest you to take your car once to rrp bangalore they will give you all the options available for your car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks