Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/25959-article-how-modify-tune-your-car-18.html)

I require some advice from my fellow bhpians.
I am a 2nd year mechanical engineering student and wish to learn and go deeper into tuning techniques. My main areas of interest are ecu tuning and remap and also mechanical enhancements to the vehicle for enhanced performance. What are some of the formal courses which I can take up? If anyone has information,will the Pete's Tuning Course fulfill my requirements or shall I look for some other course? I kindly request the bhpians who are into this domain to throw some light upon this.

Thanks
SID2997

May be I should start a new thread but I am finding it tedious to start one.

I was searching for DIY Diesel tuning solutions and kits and I found an India company called Altigreen Propulsion Labs [Altigreen.in]. They are in Bangalore.

They claim to have retrofit kits which can give fuel efficiency of over 25%.

Has anyone tried it or spoken to them.

I am not into Analog technologies since Battery Management and power management is a lot of electronics and Machine learning.

How are these guys doing it. If it is for real, then we can effectively cut back greenhouse gases by that much. Unless I am missing something totally.

Can any person throw light on it.

Socradamus

Hi All,

I own a Hyundai i10 Kappa2 2011 model. Would appreciate if I can get an expert advise on, where can I buy a best quality "Free Flow Exhaust" and get it fitted to my car in Hyderabad.

Requirement: Free Flow Exhaust for Hyundai i10 Kappa2
Brand: Please advise
Store: Where in Hyderabad (Please advise)
Get it Fitted At: Please Advise.

Thank you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajparikh (Post 4423386)
Would appreciate if I can get an expert advise on, where can I buy a best quality "Free Flow Exhaust" and get it fitted to my car in Hyderabad.

If you ever come to Pune, you can go to International Exhaust Systems :)

https://www.facebook.com/internationalexhaust/

Check out their FB page for more info.

I would also like to ask advice on the mods I'm about to do on both cars.

The Sonata is running a Dual Channel Race Dynamics Box at 190Bhp... Did the Dyno run with RD about a month ago and they said it's the best Sonata they have come across till date as there was barely any power drop and the engine and car is in pristine condition.

Next is CAI BMC Filter and a Complete SS Header and Exhaust, this is what I need advice on, Met Praveen Kumar of BMC 2 days ago and he briefed me on the Filter, He landed up directing me to Pro Race Customs on Hennur-Baglur road for the Filter installation, it's close to where I stay so landed up speaking to Johnathan who owns the place and while we talked on Filter installation I spoke about the exhaust plans as well, he told me that he's into custom exhausts as well and said he could get the job done.

Before I commit I thought I'd swing the idea here and then take a decision.

The esteem has been a pleasure from Day 1, I've always maintained it stock. But now I'm gearing up to do a stage 1, I'm thinking Headers + Full Exhaust... Filter... Maybe even port and polish. What do you guys think?

Do let me know...

Cheers !!!

Hello mods and fellow BHPians..require a bit of advise from you. I am a satisfied owner of a Hyundai Elantra 2.0 SX(O) VTVT AT which will be completing 3 years this July.

The itch for upgrade is getting stronger and I wanted to go the 330i way, however, owing to the current exigency we concurred that being a little prudent with Vitamin M might be wise. So the next option in line was to have a mid life update for my ride.

I am based in Delhi and am looking for some suggestions for:
a. Graded Performance Upgrade- What are the best options for this body engine gearbox combo?
b. Any recommended places worth visiting.

Thanks a bunch

Found this thread after quite a search.
Given the new rules passed by the SC, will it be sensible to modify one's car?
Living in Mumbai, I can attest that the traffic cops wait for any small window of opportunity to ground you.

Mod note: Please use Search to find a relevant thread before opening a new one. Post merged with an existing thread. Thanks.

Hello guys!
I bought a pre worshipped Audi a4 (177bhp) last month. I absolutely had no idea about modding until that point but I met some people while getting ceramic treatment done to my car. I was told that stage 1 ecu tuning would bump up the bhp to around approx 210 while stage 2 would bump it to around 225. Now stage 1 tuning costs 25,000 while stage 2 costs 30,000 so it seems like stage 2 is good value for money. But the mod guy warned me that stage 2 might cause issues with my insurance. I asked my insurance agent and he seems to have no clue.. He just told me as long as it's not some heavy body change, it shouldn't matter.

So I'm confused and I want to take a second opinion. Are these bhp gains (30+) realistic? Can I notice the difference with these gains? If I go with stage 1 which doesn't void the insurance, is there any drawback like low mileage? Is it worth going for stage 2 and hope the insurer doesn't object to it if I have to make a future claim?

Also I feel like I'm missing something. Is there a reason why anyone who spends 20+ lakh on a car wouldnt spend 1% to improve the bhp by 20-30%?? This feels too good to be true like why wouldn't the car manufacturer do this himself to make the car specs look better compared to their competition

Quote:

Originally Posted by docprashant (Post 4814041)
Any recommended places worth visiting.

Thanks a bunch

Hey Doc
GT Tunerz, look them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly99 (Post 5069207)
Also I feel like I'm missing something. Is there a reason why anyone who spends 20+ lakh on a car wouldnt spend 1% to improve the bhp by 20-30%?? This feels too good to be true like why wouldn't the car manufacturer do this himself to make the car specs look better compared to their competition

You have to remember that you have other components that must match the extra power. The clutch and gearbox would take a beating.

I had my car tuned because of the horrible turbo lag. I asked for the lag to be removed. When he was done he dynoed the car and it showed 136 HP, up from 102. The turbo lag went away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly99 (Post 5069207)
Mod note: Please use Search to find a relevant thread before opening a new one. Post merged with an existing thread. Thanks.

Are these bhp gains (30+) realistic? Can I notice the difference with these gains? If I go with stage 1 which doesn't void the insurance, is there any drawback like low mileage? Is it worth going for stage 2 and hope the insurer doesn't object to it if I have to make a future claim?

1. The gains are very much real and you can of course feel it for yourself.
2. Even the slightest modification which alters the stock figures 100% voids the insurance. Stage 1 is no exception.
3. You are not missing anything. One of the main and most important reasons that a car manufacturer doesn't do it - Every car has a maximum mode and minimum mode - A stock car is in an optimized mode based on the driving conditions, target audience, usage pattern, and others that keep the cost in check. Modifications, enhancements, tuning, etc are done to bring it to the maximum mode. And this mandates the upgrading/change of 1 or multiple parts that increases the cost significantly. And I may be a performance person, you may be a comfort person, someone else may be a person who likes all the bells and whistles, etc, etc.

I hope this clears your doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv (Post 5100219)
3. You are not missing anything. One of the main and most important reasons that a car manufacturer doesn't do it - Every car has a maximum mode and minimum mode - A stock car is in an optimized mode based on the driving conditions, target audience, usage pattern, and others that keep the cost in check. Modifications, enhancements, tuning, etc are done to bring it to the maximum mode. And this mandates the upgrading/change of 1 or multiple parts that increases the cost significantly. And I may be a performance person, you may be a comfort person, someone else may be a person who likes all the bells and whistles, etc, etc.

I hope this clears your doubt.

Completely agree with your views.

Just some added pointers:
1) Another reason for companies limiting performance is keeping in mind fuel economy, various tunes for various models (the 2.0TDi is available in a variety of engine tunes starting from 110bhp!), and more importantly regulatory requirements: From my experience, most remapped diesel engines will definitely pollute more, especially under harder acceleration.

2) Wear and tear will see a little difference, not too much unless it's an aggressive tune pushing the engine beyond it's limits (the 1.4TSi for instance isn't as tuner friendly, and apparently neither is the 2.0TSi doing duty in the Superb - unlike the 2.0TSi in the Octavia vRS). Thankfully the 2.0TDi is a fairly reliable motor and can handle a power bump.

3) Related to point 2: generally a stage 2 tune works optimally with better breathing in the form of a full exhaust & intake system. It is best to stick to a more conservative stage 1 tune.

4) Do your research on the tune brand he has recommended - experience makes a world of difference.

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an S-Cross petrol sigma variant with Auto Transmission.
I am as pleased as punch with her. The only issue is that I miss the sprightly-ness I used to feel with my old Amaze and Swift diesels.
The S-cross is so well made and with discs all around there is a constant feeling that I want to up the power a bit or at least feel a little more energy.

What would you recommend for the same? My budget is around 30-50k
Minimal impact on fuel efficiency is desirable ( I currently get around 11-12kmpl) in my day-to-day usage.
The car has completed just around 7000km so would prefer something plug and play which would not void warranties or involve prolonged visits to workshops.

I am based in Hyderabad and I would be grateful for any recommendations for procuring and installation.

regards
HG

Apart from an ECU tune which itself won't turn an NA 1.5 petrol into a Diesel rivalling torque monster, there is nothing else that 30-50k will be able to accomplish. If you absolutely must have more torque, then sell your car asap since at the moment used car market is pretty accepting of inflated prices and go for something else :thumbs up You could also look into downsizing to 15inch rims with either 205/65R15 or 195/70R15 tyres. The reduction in rotating unsprung mass will drastically improve performance, fuel efficiency as well as comfort. :thumbs up

Hello BHPians.

Hello BHPians,

I currently work as a Project Coordinator in a construction company in Pune. Due to personal reasons, will be shifting to my hometown in 2-3 months and continuing my family business. We presently have two cars- a) Hyundai Xcent (2017) bought new and b) Hyundai Eon (2015) bought used in 2020 for myself. Eon has Petrol and LPG (OEM fitment) fuelling systems and has a current odometer reading of 76,000 kilometres.

Now we will be expanding our paper supply and printing business and our USP will be doorstep delivery of the items we stock. To this day, we transport goods to our customers through passenger three wheelers and using other available means. After I join the business I am planning to personally deliver the goods twice a week for our customers in a radius of approx. 30 kilometres. For customers that are farther than 30 KM, we will use suitable methods.

Herein lies my question; can EON be repurposed for using it as a freight vehicle with appropriate modifications? The car won't have any use when I settle in my hometown and it has some convenience features like AC and power steering which cheap pick-up trucks don't have. The weight the car will have to carry will be that of the driver and 300-350 KG's of goods. I would love the insights of esteemed TeamBHP members on this. Approx. budget for modifications- Rs. 60,000/-.

We are open to buying a separate commercial vehicle however was also toying with the idea of keeping the Eon and using it for business purposes.