Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 17:45   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What exactly is a triphase module? and how does it work in petrol vehicles?

Are there any negative effects of using it?
Answered in thread opening posts:

Quote:
Temperature signal modifiers:
These devices are fairly simple to install and result in marginal (if any) performance gains. They modify some signals that are delivered to the ECU, which results in altered fuel / ignition maps. Approximate cost = Rs.900 – 9,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Do Bolt on End cans do any good apart from creating sweet noise?
what are the side effects on an engine?
Get a bolt-on end can for the sound only. Hardly any effect on the engine or performance.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:53   #92
BHPian

Performance mods that don't sacrifice efficiency

Hello, I searched and searched but could not find a thread or post that addressed this topic.

I have a recently acquired used 2002 MPFI esteem. I am interested in performance mods but I don't want to sacrifice fuel efficiency even a little bit. Stuff like better compound tyres without upsizing them, etc. Now the thought itself might be an oxymoron and sound like a contradiction, or not but I just wanted to get a final experts opinion. Thanks in advance
Old 18th December 2008, 23:56   #93
BHPian

I am NO expert but a free flow exhaust along with a performance filter wouldn't cause any decrease in fuel economy, provided you don't drive like a maniac after the mods. Infact, you might even get a bit on increase in mileage!

Nevertheless, the experts know well than I do!
Old 17th March 2009, 17:10   #94
BHPian

Headlight bulbs for Alto

My new Alto headlights are quite ordinary. The problems I face are

1. The beam hits the road very close to the car, maybe around 15 feet, when in low beam. How do I get it to hit farther ahead? There are headlight settings near the steering wheel but they don't help much. Same case when put on high beam. In the city, the high beam is ok but on highway I think it will be insufficient.

2. The light is too weak. What kind of bulbs should I replace the original ones with? Please let me know the brand and specs. Can I have additional lights put up on the grille or some place? Any flip side to this?
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2. Air-Filter:
  • A stock replacement performance filter requires no modifications and is very simple to install since it fits exactly in place of your factory filter. The performance gains are marginal. Approximate cost = Rs.2,000 – 7,500.
  • A Cold air intake (CAI) is the more serious of performance air-filters. With a CAI, proper installation is very important and it should not suck in hot air. The colder the air available to it, the better will be the gains in performance. A true CAI sucks in outside air, while short rams and most CAI applications take air from under the hood. Even if it's 35 degrees outside, that is still significantly cooler than the air under your hood. You can also opt for a good conical / universal filter without CAI. The plumbing needs to have minimum restrictions with most experts recommending mandrel bent aluminium pipes. The diameter of the pipe through its entire length should be uniform and greater than that of the throttle body. Do note that the sound levels with significantly increase with a CAI, and some precautions must be taken when driving in the monsoons. K&N recommends a shroud for use in dusty conditions. Approximate cost = Rs.5,000 – 17,500.
Could someone throw light on this.
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:26   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
Could someone throw light on this.
the chances of water entering your air filter and messing it up are high in monsoons. This is more true if you have a cold air intake which draws air from the front bumper or grill.
To avoid issues, go slowly through puddles and water logged roads to prevent splashing.
Old 3rd June 2009, 03:54   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
the chances of water entering your air filter and messing it up are high in monsoons. This is more true if you have a cold air intake which draws air from the front bumper or grill.
To avoid issues, go slowly through puddles and water logged roads to prevent splashing.
So its only a case under above circumstances eh. It won't be a problem when there are huge downpours.
Old 12th June 2009, 06:53   #98
BHPian

Well unless you're driving with your bonnet open in rain.. You can get a custom cover made for your CAI.. I've got Trust CAI in my 350z and never had issues at all but i didn't cover it.. Slow down in water logged roads..
Old 29th June 2009, 11:18   #99
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of references about K&N Air filters in TBHP. Will it really improve performance if I replace the stock air filter of my new Alto with it? Will it affect my 4 year warranty? I am interested because it seems to be the simplest and cheapest modification possible!

Last edited by Gansan : 29th June 2009 at 11:20.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:28   #100
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I see a lot of references about K&N Air filters in TBHP. Will it really improve performance if I replace the stock air filter of my new Alto with it? Will it affect my 4 year warranty? I am interested because it seems to be the simplest and cheapest modification possible!
Gansan, NO, it does not improve performance. Atleast not noticeably. The stock replacement filter should not affect your warranty.

Note that the CAI K&N sounds awesome though (many of us chose an install just for the intake sound). Please search through the forum for further K&N information.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:32   #101
BHPian

Viva CRDi and mods

I have a 4 year old Viva CRDi, done 73 Kms with it. Want to go for a new car now. I am not able to decide whether to sell this one off or keep it for mods. I understand from various T_Bhp posts that Pete's has lot of stuff for Viva CRDi. Please give your valuable opinion on the subject.
Old 21st July 2009, 18:07   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shabash, do search through the forum. Plenty of Verna modification threads.
Old 21st July 2009, 21:32   #103
BHPian

You can go for Petes tunig box, and green cotton CAI, also add a FFE (Freeflow exhaust), with some custom paint job and body kits. NTW hows the engine of the car after 73K?
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:56   #104
BHPian

Engine is pretty ok, ofcourse it smokes a bit more that it used to, but my feeling is that it can do another 50K without any issues.
Old 24th July 2009, 00:27   #105
BHPian

Why dont you go in for the vitamins package form OWS and then check for the smoke? I have tried it in my Swift and smoking has reduced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks