Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 20:14   #181

ECU Remapping DIY

Hi
Looking at ECU remapping DIY.
Any inputs on the following will be helpful
1. OBD2 bluetooth or USB for remapping? Where to purchase from online?
2. Best ECU flasher - Opensource or commercial product
3. How to get ECU tuner files from for the following cars -
Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI, 2008 model
Hyundai Verna 1.6 VTVT, 2006 model.
Old 13th May 2014, 01:05   #182
DWC
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car

Here's a quick question to all the guru's out there:

Would it make more sense to buy a polo tdi and get a tuning box fitted to it instead of going in for the gt tdi?

I would end up saving a bit of cash in the process, but what would the difference in performance be like? Would a tuning box be at par or close to the gt tdi?

Is there anyone out there who has driven both and can shed some light on the same?
Old 13th May 2014, 07:21   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post

Would it make more sense to buy a polo tdi and get a tuning box fitted to it instead of going in for the gt tdi?
IMO, Buy a Polo GT TDI and drive it in stock setup as it is naturally powerful enough without a need of tuning box/remap. Once you have the cash to spend buy a tuning box/remap to enjoy the car further.

The 1.2 TDI is no match with the tuning box to the GT TDI in stock setup.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 16:18   #184
BHPian

Advise Needed - The Cosworth End can that was doing duty in my Fiesta 1.6 is now lying unused. Can I get this fixed in my Ertiga 1.4 without removing the resonator?
Old 5th June 2014, 15:58   #185
BHPian

Hi Friends,
We have an EON at home. My brother finds it very difficult in the second gear to troll in the traffic. We feel that the drive ability needs a significant improvement to troll in the dense traffic conditions.
Is there a solution for this? Will replacing stock air filter by K&N will improve in-gear acceleration? We are open for any suggestions as apart from this the EON seems to tick all the boxes for us.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 21:51   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Hi Friends,
We have an EON at home. My brother finds it very difficult in the second gear to troll in the traffic. We feel that the drive ability needs a significant improvement to troll in the dense traffic conditions.
Is there a solution for this? Will replacing stock air filter by K&N will improve in-gear acceleration? We are open for any suggestions as apart from this the EON seems to tick all the boxes for us.
I assume you mean you have to frequently resort to half clutch/ changing gears.
Frankly I dont think a K&N will assist you in any way in tackling dense traffic conditions. You need an automatic gearbox.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 23:38   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Advise Needed - The Cosworth End can that was doing duty in my Fiesta 1.6 is now lying unused. Can I get this fixed in my Ertiga 1.4 without removing the resonator?
Yes,you can fix the Cosworth end can to your Ertiga without removing the resonator,with slight fabrication of the piping if necessary.

Thanks&Regards
KN
Old 11th September 2014, 14:55   #188

Modifying my Mitsubishi Cedia

Fellow bhpians,

I have a 4.5 year old Mitsubishi cedia. I am looking to modify it, specifically for power. I am looking to improve the acceleration of the car at low speeds and in gears 1, 2 and 3.

I have a budget of 30-35k for the same.

I did some research and identified the red Rooster power drive as a potential solution. It includes a free-flow RRP exhaust system, a BMC cold air intake, and a Malpassi fuel pressure regulator.

However the total cost is going beyond my budget.

The cold air intake is about 15k. The exhaust system and the fuel pressure regulator together are close to 45k.

I want to know if I need all 3 of these. Or can I just go with 1 or 2 of these modifications?

I have read reviews of Red Rooster and they seem to be pretty good. Anyone has had first hand experience?

And finally, if you have better suggestions in terms of alternate modifications or alternate vendor, please do share.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 11th September 2014, 23:04   #189
BHPian

re: Modifying my Mitsubishi Cedia

Hi,

I would suggest going step-wise and seeing the performance gains prior to spending more of the moolah. Why don't you start with the cotton filter (green) and add on the Pete's box. This should come within your budget and is again the preferred way to start with performance increases.if you then see perceivable benefits in terms of in gear acceleration, you can add more.
adnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 01:44   #190
BHPian

Genghis -

#1 .Do not waste your money on a cold air intake, it is not going to do any noticeable improvement in power, a drop in K&N will do almost the same effect to the engine. So, please save that 15k ( and spend whatever it costs for a drop in K&N filter). Note: I have done extensive research on the cold air intake option while I was tuning my Audi, finally settled in with the drop in filter and its working great with my other engine tunings I have done.

#2.The next best thing you can do is install a downpipe ( if it allows, do a 3 inch pipe). Replace the exhaust also if you want the car to be louder.

#3. The 3rd option is to go for ECU tune, but I strongly recommend doing #1 and #2 before going to step-3.

#4 . Install a turbo charger (this will be outside your budget), however, this will bring in some serious power.

PS : If you haven't changed the spark plugs yet, you should do that first. Get a set of NGK or Denso spark plugs and stay away from Iridium spark plugs.

Raneesh
raneeshvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 01:50   #191
Senior - BHPian

it takes a lot more money to make a naturally aspirated beauty more powerful. I thought the Cedia always had pretty good low-end torque.
A cold air intake and free flow exhaust I think would be enough for you, however you can try also adding a lightweight flywheel and then running a clean remap

I might know of another place in B'lore that can get you all this stuff for a lot cheaper than big names like RRP. PMing you my number so we can discuss its possibilities further.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 11:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hello Raneesh, Could you elaborate on the issue with Iridium spark plugs. I just bought a set of NGK Iridiums and was going to install them over the weekend. BTW this too is for a Cedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneeshvijayan View Post
PS : If you haven't changed the spark plugs yet, you should do that first. Get a set of NGK or Denso spark plugs and stay away from Iridium spark plugs.

Raneesh
Old 12th September 2014, 12:05   #193
BHPian

Cold Air Intakes increase the performance in a car as much as the Fake Turbo/Whistle add-on to the exhaust tube.

There are tons of videos showing how adding CAI did nothing or in best case very negligible change on the power/performance of the vehicle. You can safely keep CAI out of your mod list and save up money on the real serious stuff.

The cheapest/guaranteed mod would be to remove your back and passenger seats, empty out your boot with spare wheel, and drive without the AC with windows closed!
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 13:00   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis_on_road View Post
Fellow bhpians,

I have a 4.5 year old Mitsubishi cedia. I am looking to modify it, specifically for power. I am looking to improve the acceleration of the car at low speeds and in gears 1, 2 and 3.

I have a budget of 30-35k for the same.
RRP is a good place to visit for the mods. They do a lot of Cedia's (including their rally vehicles).

I got a BMC DAI from Red Rooster recently having had a open K&N in my previous car. Since you are in Bangalore I think this could be relevant. With the amount of dust in the city, it is slightly better to have a closed filter. But as many said, if you are looking for a performance gain from the two. It isnt noticeable. They both get dirty but the closed one lesser than the open one if you ask me.

RRP will help you in doing things stagewise. You arent compelled to take their stage 1,2 or 3 packages and can do each thing individually. The only difference being the overall value may increase if you do the mods one by one.

I would recommend going with RRP. Do PM me if you need any assistance.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:06   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hello Raneesh, Could you elaborate on the issue with Iridium spark plugs. I just bought a set of NGK Iridiums and was going to install them over the weekend. BTW this too is for a Cedia.
If I may answer,
Iridium plugs makes sense on a race prep'd engine than a stock one. In fact, on a stock engine, I don't think it makes any negligible difference.
The best ones if you want to upgrade your plugs are the platinum ones. They are reasonably priced and may slightly better your torque. The link below will give you a better understanding,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Cold Air Intakes increase the performance in a car as much as the Fake Turbo/Whistle add-on to the exhaust tube.

There are tons of videos showing how adding CAI did nothing or in best case very negligible change on the power/performance of the vehicle. You can safely keep CAI out of your mod list and save up money on the real serious stuff.
A CAI or a performance filter is part of a Stage 1 mod. If you are going to get a CAI done on a stock engine with everything else stock, it will just make it howl.
Along with the performance filter, the exhaust needs to be done which is what make the engine breathe free. It is more about getting the engine to breathe free so its revs easier than actually a huge performance gain which is what usually people think of when they hear performance filter or CAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
RRP is a good place to visit for the mods. They do a lot of Cedia's (including their rally vehicles).
I agree with this. RRP works on Cedia's since that was their rally car when they were in the championship and will know the car in and out and also stands by any after sales issues on their fitments.

Only downside being, they are expensive.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed