Team-BHP > Motor-Sports

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 15:10   #1
BHPian

If your city hosted a street circuit F1 race..

After drooling over the Monaco track, I started day-dreaming of F1 races and how it would be have one in Bangalore. With some really nice long straights, Bangalore can definitely be a high-speed street circuit in an ideal world. I fooled around in MSPaint and did this little diagram.

If your city hosted a street circuit F1 race..-bangalore-gp-routemap.jpg

Starting in Silk Board, its a straight run to the St. Johns / Hosur Road junction. Going through the Madivala underpass is sure to enhance the noise decibels / music. A sharp right into the Sarjapur road and then on with a small wiggle near Krupanidhi college (where the pit lane exit is), through the straight onto the left of Agara lake. Slight curve near Trident Hyundai and onto a long straight reaching the HSR 27th Main Flyover. A hairpin turn here and then its a straight run back to Silk Board over the HSR BDA Flyover.

Anyone else game to put up their preferred street circuit in your city? There is no need for exact distances etc. This is just for fun.

MODS: Not sure if this fits into this forum or in the Shifting Gears forum. Please move thread accordingly

Last edited by Mad Max : 24th May 2012 at 15:13.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: If your city hosted a street circuit F1 race..

With so many straight lines, it would be boring for the drivers. Its better to have near MG road, Cubbon road, Vidhana soudha area.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

You should have ear marked some bylanes/service roads (famed bangalore ones) for by passing signals and traffic jams. Poor F1 cars would over heat sitting between 5 bikes, 3 autos, 1 bus and may be 3-4 beggars. What am I missing?! hmm...

Oh, and the 1-way roads, flyovers, signals-not-working junctions too.

PS - and with the recent 7.5Ltr hike, put out a note to race directors to fill petrol in Hosur (2.5Rs lesser in TN) on the way to the track.

PPS - tell them to take the ECity Flyover - the only place they can truly touch 300Kmph provided it is closed for public and they can also ask the INTERCEPTOR Tavera mamu to check if his speed camera will register that speed
Old 24th May 2012, 16:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think if you come to think of it, Lutyen's zone in Delhi has some interesting possibilities. Wide, undivided roads. No speed breakers. Large circles to go around. Nice straights. Take the cars to the Dhaula Kuan Clover Leaf, and then back into the Lutyen's zone via the Ring Road.
Will the Security Establishment allow something like this? :-D
Old 25th May 2012, 12:16   #5
BANNED

@Mad Max; A new innovation. People will prefer to drive through the pit lane, as it is far shorter than the track!
Old 25th May 2012, 12:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
After drooling over the Monaco track, I started day-dreaming of F1 races and how it would be have one in Bangalore. With some really nice long straights, Bangalore can definitely be a high-speed street circuit in an ideal world. I fooled around in MSPaint and did this little diagram.
Appreciate your creativity there Boss!

MG Road - Kasturba Raod - Residency Road - Richmond Road - Trinity Circle - Back to the MG road Straight with the Pitlane on the MG Road would be my pick!

Personally, I hate street tracks for F1 and I would vote against it
Old 25th May 2012, 12:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice imagination!
Although I am having a tough time visualizing it because no matter what, every scenario i think of ends up with F1 car balanced on a speed breaker.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 13:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

F1 in Bangalore - nah!

Dirt track in Bangalore - yes! And best part - 0 initial set up cost. Just pick up any random street! And if you want to increase the difficulty level, just give our over-eager friends in BBMP to dig up roads.

Jokes apart; wondering, why haven't street tracks really picked up in F1?

The Monaco GP is quite a delight to watch anyway.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 14:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Narain came to Tvm to check city roads for a demo of F1 car. Said 300 can be done on some stretches!

F1 track in Kerala will boost tourism: Narain Karthikeyan | Deccan Chronicle
Old 25th May 2012, 14:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Appreciate your creativity there Boss!

MG Road - Kasturba Raod - Residency Road - Richmond Road - Trinity Circle - Back to the MG road Straight with the Pitlane on the MG Road would be my pick!
Thank God you didn't route it through all the Purple Haze joints in Blr. When coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Nice imagination!
Although I am having a tough time visualizing it because no matter what, every scenario i think of ends up with F1 car balanced on a speed breaker.
- good one! I tried my best to clarify that this is an ideal world!! I guess you are saying that even in an ideal state, Bangalore will still have mini-Nandi hills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
F1 in Bangalore - nah!

Dirt track in Bangalore - yes! And best part - 0 initial set up cost. Just pick up any random street! And if you want to increase the difficulty level, just give our over-eager friends in BBMP to dig up roads.
Can you imagine the speed of that setup? Time taken to lay a new stretch of road - 1 year. Time taken to prepare a challenging road track - 1 day!

What I wanted to see was, in your city, which would be your preferred street circuit. Come on, post up a diagram or map of your imagination!!
Old 25th May 2012, 14:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Interesting thought… but I doubt if it will be a workable option in Bangalore (even in the ideal world)

My current city already have a street race in the F1 calendar, and even in a well managed place like Singapore it’s not an easy task to have a street race on. It’s much more than roads to race. Erection of stands for the spectators, track planning to cover places of interest / historic importance at various turns, traffic regulation for the whole weekend etc.

But with good stretch of sea side roads and historical buildings, Mumbai will be my choice for a street circuit in India.
Old 7th June 2012, 16:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

OK, this thread got me day dreaming and gave me a nice break from the monotony of reviewing documents ...

So, if it has to be Bangalore, then we must provide the track some nice gradient changes. Those who have been to/live in Banashankari 3rd Stage and its environs will know what I am talking about. But lets not go there, lest our F1 drivers complain about "challenges"!!

How about a route around Lalbagh? See attached map. Black is the pit lane. Cars drive in counter-clockwise direction.
Attached Thumbnails
If your city hosted a street circuit F1 race..-blr_f1.jpg  

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 7th June 2012 at 16:57.
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
But with good stretch of sea side roads and historical buildings, Mumbai will be my choice for a street circuit in India.
I guess a street circuit is difficult in my city (Pune), but neighbouring Mumbai sure has the potential. F1 is not just about the cars or the track - it is about the whole experience. And Mumbai sure ticks all the right boxes (ala Monte Carlo or Singapore) - it has good roads, it has glamour (heck, its got the whole entertainment industry based there!), its got a coastline, and with a population close to 14 million, will surely generate enough revenue to make old Bernie laugh all the way to the bank!

Can't exactly picture a track right now, but wherever it weaves through, Marine Drive is a must-have section.

Most Viewed