Team-BHP > Motor-Sports

Old 5th November 2015, 22:44   #1

Default Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

Hey Guys,
Im thinking of applying for uk and usa universities for a degree in motorsports engineering. What i want to know is that which country is better and has better job security? I also need some advice on how to pursue motorsports as i am very passionate about the sport. Any advice would be helpful
Old 5th November 2015, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

I would say Germany but i have no valid data points to back up that claim. To me its lot of engineering and there is no better place to master it than Germany.

And knowing that language definitely helps to find suitable positions.

The last place i would do anything in Motorsports engineering is in US but again thats a personal take.
Old 6th November 2015, 01:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Which country to pursue a career in motorsports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDragonChaos View Post
Hey Guys,

Im thinking of applying for uk and usa universities for a degree in motorsports engineering. What i want to know is that which country is better and has better job security? I also need some advice on how to pursue motorsports as i am very passionate about the sport. Any advice would be helpful

I think UK should be your best bet seeing how almost all the big Formula1 teams are based there. And I remember reading somewhere that they do have some big university encompassing it in their curriculum.
Also, I remember this topic being covered elsewhere on the forum. Try looking it up.
All the best for your career ahead! Godspeed.

Last edited by shyn : 6th November 2015 at 01:38.
shyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 13:43   #4

Default re: Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

Thanks. But I also want to know the job opportunities for immigrants after completing your masters there.
Old 9th November 2015, 12:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

UK - That's it.

UK is where you'll have the most course options, as well as the most practical opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I would say Germany but i have no valid data points to back up that claim. To me its lot of engineering and there is no better place to master it than Germany.
Germany is better for a Masters in Engineering than a Bachelors. And they do have lots of programs in English now.

Quote:
Thanks. But I also want to know the job opportunities for immigrants after completing your masters there.
Honestly, the opportunities for motorsport engineering in ANY country will be very poor / challenging. Be prepared to work hard to get a placement and your salary will be peanuts when starting off too. It's a long, uphill climb. Not trying to discourage you, but only those with true passion & skill make a decent living in motorsport.

What I'd recommend to you instead is automobile engineering (again, UK has excellent programs). With automobile engineering too, you can enter the motorsports field. However, auto engineering will also give you a good shot at placements within car companies (more jobs + more money). Someone I know graduated from Coventry UK and landed a fairly good position with Toyota Belgium in just his 2nd year of working.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 13:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any advice would be helpful
Though they are not directly related to your question, you might find some clues in these threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-industry.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ve-career.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ce-thread.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 16:35   #7

Hello Vikram, my son is studying motorsport engineering BSc at Stafford University. I live in Birmingham where Birmingham City University (BCU) also do the same course no doubt there are other universities offering the same. I would say that Birmingham City University (not to be confused with Birmingham University) have the slight edge.
My son couldn't get into BCU (left it too late) but if you are interested I can help point you in the right direction, I also did a diploma in automotive engineering from the same university (BCU).
I can say that Birmingham has a vibrant Indian community and is a great place to stay and study (lived here most of my life). As for the other countries I know there isn't much F1 work out there other that in the UK but I don't know much about their educational offerings – look into it contact the various engineering faculties.
Regarding Jobs it is very hard to be able to break into the motorsport industry but with good skills and knowledge it should be possible, don't forget your skills are transferable. I know student job prospects in England aren't great but you can get limited work – check for yourself as my knowledge on this subject is most likely out of date.
I hope all this helps, but the best person to decide how and where you want to pursue your ambitions and career is you. If I can help any further please let me know and I will assist the best I can.
shindha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 17:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
UK yes for the courses BUT DEFINITELY UK NO for your career.

There is no post study work visa, you will complete your course and will have to leave, unless of course someone offered you a job for which they are going to sponsor you as well as pay you 35 thousand pounds salary right from the start (Highly unlikely)

How do I know this? I am a BE in Automotive Engineering from Coventry University with a Hons and 2:1 (Some companies ask for a 2:2 and very few a 2:1) and an MBA in Engineering Management also from Coventry University with a Distinction ( Most companies ask for a Merit to let you get in, a Distinction in a class of 100, say 5 will get)

So with the 2:1 and a Distinction, where did my life come to ? Back to India because of the lack of PSW. Why did I go to UK then you ask ? I got to know of them shutting the PSW in April 2012, I graduated in November 2012, in between my course, I could not leave.

Go anywhere but not UK, you will want to work after your course to get the much needed experience and with the lack of PSW, highly unlikely you will land a placement, on the other hand companies in India without you having a campus in India, won't entertain you much, actually wont entertain you at all, been there, done that, I work for a Netflix like company in India now, my dreams were just like yours.

Last edited by humyum : 6th April 2016 at 17:43.
humyum is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:48   #9
BHPian

This is an interesting website I came across, and thought I'd post the contents here, for posterity, in case there was some interest going forward ...

https://www.schoolofraceengineering....dQVuxc20fStknU

MIA School of Race Engineering winner announced!
August 16, 2019

For the first time ever, the MIA School of Race Engineering ran an exclusive competition at Formula Student UK, offering students the chance of winning a FREE place on the November 2019 course!

To enter the competition, students simply had to scan a QR code and fill in an online form detailing their engineering experiences/qualifications to date. After receiving an impressive number of entries, a name was drawn from a hat and the winner of this year’s MIA School of Race Engineering competition is…

Andrew Steel!

Andrew has a BSc in Physics and a Masters in Aerospace Engineering. He has spent two years working at Jaguar Land Rover as an engineer which included a six-month placement at the Panasonic Jaguar Racing Formula E team.

We are looking forward to welcoming Andrew onto this year’s course which will take place on the 2nd - 3rd and 9th - 10th of November. Students will be taught by real-world Race Engineers from F1, WEC, Formula E, DTM and F3. These tutors will cover topics such as strategy, tyres, vehicle dynamics, car set-up and much more, all within a relaxed and friendly learning environment.

Students will also get the opportunity to take part in our unique interactive simulator session at Cranfield Simulation, here they will work with a professional Race Engineer and Driver to optimise the set-up of an F1-style simulator.

The course is taught at a variety of exciting motorsport venues which have included the likes of SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team and Silverstone. Students will also get to attend two networking dinners where they will be joined by the tutors and other motorsport guests.

Would you like to be part of the next generation of Race Engineers?

Apply now to guarantee your place!
Old 12th September 2019, 21:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
UK yes for the courses BUT DEFINITELY UK NO for your career.

There is no post study work visa, you will complete your course and will have to leave, unless of course someone offered you a job for which they are going to sponsor you as well as pay you 35 thousand pounds salary right from the start (Highly unlikely)

How do I know this? I am a BE in Automotive Engineering from Coventry University with a Hons and 2:1 (Some companies ask for a 2:2 and very few a 2:1) and an MBA in Engineering Management also from Coventry University with a Distinction ( Most companies ask for a Merit to let you get in, a Distinction in a class of 100, say 5 will get)

So with the 2:1 and a Distinction, where did my life come to ? Back to India because of the lack of PSW. Why did I go to UK then you ask ? I got to know of them shutting the PSW in April 2012, I graduated in November 2012, in between my course, I could not leave.

Go anywhere but not UK, you will want to work after your course to get the much needed experience and with the lack of PSW, highly unlikely you will land a placement, on the other hand companies in India without you having a campus in India, won't entertain you much, actually wont entertain you at all, been there, done that, I work for a Netflix like company in India now, my dreams were just like yours.
Things seem to have changed, regarding staying back in the UK after your degree and working ...

https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/press/ne...Lvkaus9jsGqFRA

Cranfield welcomes Government proposals to extend international students' post-study visas
Published 11 Sep 2019
Press release number PR-CORP-19-114

Cranfield University welcomes Government proposals announced today (11 September) to extend the period of time international students can remain in the UK after their studies to two years.

The Home Office has announced plans to reverse the decision made in 2012 by then-Home Secretary Theresa May that currently forces overseas students to leave the UK four months after finishing their degree, if they have not found a job.

Professor Simon Pollard, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for International Partnerships and Student Recruitment, said: “This announcement is highly welcome. Cranfield recruits high quality international students, many on prestigious scholarships who – as part of their preparations for global citizenship – routinely express the wish to work in the UK.

“We will be augmenting our student support to provide these career-enhancing opportunities for our learners when they graduate.”

In 2018, there were around 450,000 international students studying in the UK.

If implemented, the change in post-study visa will apply to students who start courses at undergraduate level or above from 2020 onwards.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the change would see students “unlock their potential” and begin careers in the UK.

Responding to the announcement, the Chief Executive of Universities UK, Alistair Jarvis, said: “This is very positive news. Evidence shows that international students bring significant positive social outcomes to the UK as well as £26 billion in economic contributions, but for too long the lack of post-study work opportunities in the UK has put us at a competitive disadvantage in attracting those students.

“The introduction of a two-year post-study work visa is something Universities UK has long campaigned for and we strongly welcome this policy change, which will put us back where we belong as a first choice study destination. Not only will a wide range of employers now benefit from access to talented graduates from around the world, these students hold lifelong links with the UK with a recent study showing 77% of graduates want to retain business links with us and 88% would return for tourism.”
Old 6th August 2020, 01:32   #11
BHPian

To keep this thread as a resource for students interested in pursuing a formal education in motorsport engineering, here is another website where information on courses can be found :

https://www.jumpstart-jobs.com/master_degree

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Most Viewed