Team-BHP - Three new race tracks coming up in India!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motor-Sports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-sports/)
-   -   Three new race tracks coming up in India! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-sports/191276-three-new-race-tracks-coming-up-india.html)

Three new Race Tracks are reportedly coming up in Hosur (close to bangalore), Hyderabad, and Maharashtra (between Mumbai and Pune).

This news has been confirmed by Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) President Akbar Ebrahim, who confirmed that 'talks' have started.

At the moment, it is unclear, what grade of Track, would the upcoming ones adhere to.

The two tracks in TamilNadu, MMRT and Kari Speedway are FIA Grade2, while the BIC is FIA Grade1.
FIA Grade1 circuits need huge capital investment to construct, and then to build.

Needless to say, All the three new tracks will be built by Private entities, with very limited/no Govt. funding.

Neverthless, If this materializes, India will have a total of 6 Motorsport tracks, and TamilNadu will have 3 alone!

Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/india-cou...from=home-auto

3 new racetracks to boost Indian Motorsports

In a move that could give a much needed impetus to Indian Motor Sports, the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) is in talks with private entities to build tracks at Hosur, Hyderabad and somewhere between Mumbai and Pune.

FMSCI will be giving support for specifications and homologation. Depending on the investment at each track, it could either be an international level or a national level circuit. Race tracks are classified according to grades - 1, 2, and so on. The Grade 1 circuits are the best, and can host Formula 1 races. Currently, the only Grade 1 track in India is the Buddh International Circuit. The Madras Motor Race Track (MMRT) near Chennai is a Grade 2 circuit.

FMSCI President Akbar Ebrahim has confirmed that they are discussing the construction of these tracks with interested parties. It will be a private corporate investment and the government will not be involved in any way. However, he declined to give further details till everything is decided and the actual construction begins.

Currently, India has a handful of tracks including MMRT, Buddh, Kari Speedway in Coimbatore and international karting tracks in Bangalore and Hyderabad. The other tracks are mostly smaller karting tracks or national level circuits.

Three new race tracks coming up in India!-buddh.jpg

Source - Motorsport.com

Link to Team-BHP News

I really hope to see this come to fruition. Having a track closer to Bangalore will help those in Bangalore who need to travel a minimum 300kms to even do a track day.

Do these new tracks have to be Grade 1? I am not so sure. But, what I am sure is that the country needs more tracks that are affordable to popularise the sport.

Great news :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi (Post 4286387)
what I am sure is that the country needs more tracks that are affordable to popularise the sport.

More than local races (which 99% of us don't watch anyway), what I'm more interested in is the opportunity to drive my own car on the race track. Now, that would be an experience. I really envy the North India folk for the 'BYOC' (bring your own car) days @ Buddh. No better way to enjoy than pushing a car that you're familiar with.

Will also be quite something to take official review cars on a local track. How revealing it would be!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4286733)

More than local races (which 99% of us don't watch anyway), what I'm more interested in is the opportunity to drive my own car on the race track. Now, that would be an experience. I really envy the North India folk for the 'BYOC' (bring your own car) days @ Buddh. No better way to enjoy than pushing a car that you're familiar with.

Will also be quite something to take official review cars on a local track. How revealing it would be!

To challenge the buddh circuit, our cars need a good amount of Horsepower.

MMRT has pay and practice sessions on selected days.
Three new race tracks coming up in India!-capture.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4286733)

I just went for the arrive & drive which was awesome. Shall post a detailed experience in the relevant thread.

But, taking your own car there (unless its a super car) is a big risk if you are planning to thrash it around the track and really push it. The cars just cant handle the punishment and a huge service bill is inevitable.

They guys at the track mentioned someone getting his Verna. Lasted 2 laps and broke down.

A gentle drive is fine ofcourse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatari (Post 4287100)
But, taking your own car there (unless its a super car) is a big risk if you are planning to thrash it around the track and really push it. The cars just cant handle the punishment and a huge service bill is inevitable.

They guys at the track mentioned someone getting his Verna. Lasted 2 laps and broke down.

Yeah. Daily drivers won't last very long on the top F1 spec tracks. Even on the short Kari track, road cars suffer, without some amount of prep.

Can't wait to give it a shot on my bike whenever this materialises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatari (Post 4287100)
I just went for the arrive & drive which was awesome. Shall post a detailed experience in the relevant thread.

A gentle drive is fine ofcourse.

If you read the earlier postings, we, Bangalore folks, used to take our cars to MMSC for the weekend. You need to learn the track first before pushing it!

First time around - I burnt the tyres of my VTEC in 7 laps.
Second time around - Modified the suspension and used part worn tyres for the front and learnt the track properly. Used the normal tyres for the last few laps during the next day
Third time onwards - bought a set new front tyres for track use only and enjoyed

The Honda could take the stress. I then got ambitious and bouth the vRS. However, having seen many vRS's overheat after two laps, I never ventured further.

I must mention that during one of the track days, there were many novices, after being shown the racing lines, they took off (at 2PM on a Chennai afternoon), some lost traction and slid of the track, others merely overheated. I merely practiced the lines, stopped, went out for lunch, returned and drove progressively till sundown.

It is all about understanding the limits of capability of the driver and the car!

Anybody have insider news about the tracks? (length, size, etc.).

This is much needed, but may be too little too late? I was exploring the idea of building one between Mumbai-Pune (30-40 minutes off the expressway) but the financials just weren't convincing enough (land cost+track building+track maintenance+ancilliaries and so on). Maybe a tie up with an automaker could change the scenario.