Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2020, 18:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Your favourite movies on motorsports

The movie RUSH is G.O.A.T when it comes to movies based on motor sports. I watched it countless times especially the last race scene where James Hunt drives in the rain with a broken gear knob bleeding his hand for his championship points. The background music by Hans Zimmer is haunting.

I'm a huge Formula 1 fan ever since I was a kid, for me the greatest racing rivalry in my age was Mika Hakkinen vs Michael Schumacher, Kimi Raikkonen vs Fernando Alonso vs Lewis Hamilton. I only used to follow F1 of my time, back then in late 90s and early 2000s, internet was not so popular, so all I know is Mika vs Michael. Later on I learnt the rivalry between Ayrton Senna vs Alian Prost. I watched Ayrton Senna's documentary but I really wish if someone makes a movie like RUSH on his career. I did not know anything about James Hunt and Niki Lauda, as they raced 2-3 generations before I was born. But after watching RUSH, I was blown away by the raw rivalry in F1 in those previous decades. Loved it to the core and my respect for F1 as motorsport increased multifold.

Also Born to Race series is good, they race Toyota Celicas in these movies.

Other Non-Motorsport car movies which I like are

1. Gone in 60 seconds (Nicolas Cage), my all time favorite.

2. Fast and Furious series

3. Need for Speed

4. Cars (Animated movie)
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:18   #32

Not a motorsport movie but I do like Torque, features more Superbikes than cars

Also, the animated Cars movie series is a good watch especially with kids.
Old 28th October 2020, 19:35   #33
BHPian

By far, the best movie for me would be ROAD. It's a documentary narrated by Liam Neeson and mostly concentrates on the Dunlop family for the IOMTT. Just watching the trailer was enough for me to start tearing up.

Was unable to find the movie anywhere so had to use a friend who deals with the shady underworld of Torrents and acquired the movie.

Old 28th October 2020, 20:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is my favorite. Grand Prix

Your favourite movies on motorsports-grand-prrix-movie.jpg

Saw it as a 8 year old in 1967. Since then the thrill stays with me even after Marshaling at 20 ++ F1s

As if the thrill of seeing a Grand Prix 1st time ever by the above wasn't enough, I got hooked to it again by the following in 1969

Your favourite movies on motorsports-grand-prrix-winning-movie.jpg

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 28th October 2020 at 20:43.
Old 28th October 2020, 22:28   #35
BHPian

Here's my list, while I'm not a really big fan of motorsports:

Ford vs Ferrari just for their performances alone. I mean you need not be car enthusiast or understand even a bit to watch this movie.
Rush
Big fan on animation, so CARS (1,2,3) make the cut
Too many Hypercars in a movie, otherwise poorly executed IMO: Need For Speed: The Movie. Just watch it for drooling cars

Nobody mentioned our bollywood's contribution in this genre. It was a decent watch, decent attempt made.

Old 28th October 2020, 23:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosem123 View Post
Also, there are several interesting facts about many of these movies.

For example, the yellow Mustang used in 1974 Gone in 60 seconds had actually been bashed that many times during the entire movie. The last scene in which the car jumps over a whole pile of wreckage was actually true. Also, the one in which it hits a car on the Golden Gate Bridge came as a surprise for the person driving the other car!

Apparently, the same car is available for visitors to see in some museum in the US.
HB Haliki the actor was a renowned stuntman. Gone in 60 seconds was his second movie . The car still resides in his estate is what remember reading
Old 29th October 2020, 00:27   #37
BHPian

Whenever I drive beyond a hundred kmph, i can hear 'Lost but won' soundtrack from the back of my mind that ends with Niki saying 'still living every day like his last'. It has and always will be Rush for me.

I am not sure anyone has mentioned, but i also consider Death race (2008) to be a motor sport film, and I like that one too. Well, of course, nobody should be motivated to drive like Jason statham does in the movie, but hey, i am not gonna participate in formula 1 either.
Old 29th October 2020, 00:39   #38
BHPian

As much as I liked Ford vs. Ferrari, Rush remains my all time favorite motorsports movie. The storytelling and Character Development was in another league altogether. I am still undecided which character I liked more, Hunt or Lauda

Cars has a special place in my heart and I have watched it umpteen times. Its a thoughtfully created dream world where every person is an automobile!

Another notable entry is Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift, even though it was illegal street racing. I thoroughly enjoyed the drift sequences.

Lastly, Will Farrell's Talladega Nights makes goofy fun of the whole NASCAR business and deserves a spot if you watch mindless comedies
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:31   #39
BHPian

My favorites would be-Ford vs Ferrari(awesome soundtrack too), Rush, Born to race part 1, Dirt( its about dirt track racing), Senna, The fastest Indian, The Italian job, Gone in 60 seconds( for the last car chase sequence), Need for speed, Torque ,The fast and furious movies, Transporter 1 ..wait - actually I watch any movie which has anything to do with cars or bikes.
Old 29th October 2020, 12:07   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

There is one that I remember from the days of DD Metro, when there used to be an english movie broadcast on friday nights.
Silver Dream Racer. Its about a guy who inherits a motorcycle design/machine that his brother was making, and he goes on to take that project up after the brother's death. After some struggles he manages to take the bike grand prix racing but both the bike and the man die at the end of the race. Apparently there are two endings to movie, but this was the one that was aired on DD.

It is a shoddy movie by today's standards, heck even by the standards from 20 years ago, but it was pretty brilliant way back in the 90's.
Its available on Prime, i think.

Also, has anyone here seen Love the Beast, Eric Bana? I have been wanting to see it for a long time. How is it, and where?
Old 31st October 2020, 21:07   #41
BHPian

While 'Fastest' (Boy! The opening sequence!), 'TT3D: Closer to the edge' (Still can't forget the first time I watched this in 3D), 'Faster' and 'Hitting the apex' had all made me fall in love with Motogp and brought me more closer to the Sports bikes than I already was.

I'll also, always, cherish the gems like 'Senna' and 'Rush' which made me look at F1 cars in a completely new light! However, I'd also like to bring to the attention of this thread the below movies which had a real impact on me..

The 24 Hour War

I started respecting Ford as a company more, from this point. The original 'Ford vs Ferrari', IMO.

On Any Sunday

Your favourite movies on motorsports-images.jpg
Old 1st November 2020, 13:50   #42
BHPian

I also want to add the HyperDrive and Fastest car series on Netflix and west coast customs and wheeler dealers on discovery turbo I think.
Old 8th November 2020, 21:42   #43
BHPian

BIG Steve Mc Queen here and will rate the car chase in Bullitt the best in history.

O.T: I have a huge framed poster of the scene from McQueen's Great Escape on a WH motorcycle standing 400 m from the Swiss border. I've had it since my teens and probably the only piece of that time that has survived my marriage and kids phase as well :P.

I'll sneak in that movie too into this list just for this scene.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
The background music by Hans Zimmer is haunting.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Whenever I drive beyond a hundred kmph, i can hear 'Lost but won' soundtrack from the back of my mind
If you have liked the Hans Zimmer track, I'm sure you will like this one by Tomanddandy from the documentary Hitting the Apex.

Rush and Hitting The Apex are my favorites till now.

Watched Ford vs Ferrari in the wrong spirit and didn't understand anything, heck, don't remember any scenes either.

OT: Favorite non-motorsports related automotive centric TV series is Streethawk. The hyperthtrust scenes still give me goosebumps. And that theme music is awe..

five46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:32   #45
BHPian

Not a motorsport movie per se, but a touching montage of Audi's journey from being underdogs in the DTM to conquerors, beating legends like Mercedes and BMW on the way.

The DTM is to ( an extent) German motorsport fans what rallying is to Finns in terms of passionate following:

Last edited by octane1002 : 11th November 2020 at 22:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks