Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 20:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Netflix to air Michael Schumacher documentary on September 15

I grew up watching Schumi winning consecutive championships for Ferrari. The documentary revived my memories - me sitting with my brother waiting for the qualifying and race to start and Michael to finish on the podium. When he retired (not officially) we had stopped watching F1 until our champion was back with Mercedes though the car wasn't up to current standard that time and eventually he signed off.

I liked the documentary infact I like everything thats associated with cars. Being a schumi fan I liked every bit and so much wanted to see or know atleast the current status of Michael but I guess personal space was more important for the family.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:30   #32
BHPian

If anything, my respect for Michael Schumacher has increased after watching the documentary. Though a fan, I did not follow his career to that detail. Did see a few new things.

That said, all biopics and documentaries are obligated to show the person in a positive light. That is how it works. I expected that and was not disappointed.

Last edited by Mafia : 23rd September 2021 at 12:32.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Found it a bit boring to be honest. I guess Drive to Survive has me addicted to the mirch masala of the F1 world
Hahaha, true! Any idea when S4 comes out?
BennyA23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:10   #34
BHPian

I have been one of those hardcore anti-Ferrari brigade (probably because Schumi kept winning everything) and my team (Mclaren) just couldnt win

But this thread has piqued my interest. Even if its half as good as Senna (who is my all time fav), I think it will be worthwhile.
Old 24th September 2021, 18:15   #35
BHPian

I have just finished watching it. For those who have followed Michael's career over the years, it doesn't have much to offer. Except maybe about his childhood that we get to learn from his father.

For others, who aren't aware of who Michael is, this is a nice introduction to the great man. Make no mistake, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

It needs to have at least 4 episodes though, starting from his early years in F1, struggle with Ferrari and subsequent record-breaking years, and finally his retirement politics and his second coming. That would have been apt for the man.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 21:06   #36
ais
BHPian

I chanced upon an F1 race with no prior interest or knowledge about F1 or racing. It happened to be the 1994 Spanish Grand Prix with a driver (Schumacher) stuck in 5th gear and still making the most of it. There started my interest in F1 and I watched almost all races, until he retired.

After he retired, I was playing Flash (Teen Patti) during Diwali with 10-12 of my friends. I've never been lucky in cards or gambling, but that night was different. For 3-4 hours, I won almost every hand and bankrupted each other player! Towards the end of the session, I exclaimed- "now I know why Schumacher retired"!

And after he retired, I just lost interest in F1.

The documentary is a must watch. Senna is a must watch too, and Schumacher is as good as it can be.

I pray that he gets back to normalcy soon. The coma must be traumatic to his near and dear, and it is sad for us fans too.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:33   #37
BHPian

As a big Schumacher fan, this came as a surprise and I finally got to watch this over the weekend. I was a bit disappointed though as I was hoping to see a bit more content. I used to follow F1 from time to time in the 90's and watching the documentary brought memories of the times - the people running the teams, the liveries, the sponsorship names, the colour schemes and so many things. Especially Imola '94. Watching Schumacher drive was simply mesmerizing, the way he controlled the car and made it do things was just poetry. I remember my mom asking back then how does this "shoemaker" manage to win every time?

I liked the fact that the human side of him came out pretty well - the part where Schumi did some soul searching after the passing away of Senna, the part where he stayed up late nights with the mechanics trying to sort the car, the part where he broke down in the post race interview after being asked how it felt to have equaled Senna's record and if it meant anything to him.

Overall, this is a good one time watch.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 12:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
I chanced upon an F1 race with no prior interest or knowledge about F1 or racing. It happened to be the 1994 Spanish Grand Prix with a driver (Schumacher) stuck in 5th gear and still making the most of it. There started my interest in F1 and I watched almost all races, until he retired.
This mirrors my reason for following F1.

About the movie, it does touch on the part of Michael that i admired which was his focus, determination and fighting spirit.

My whole family including my kids enjoyed it which was surprising given it's somewhat documentary feel. it may have also sparked some interest in F1 in my kids.
Old 15th April 2022, 08:32   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Saw the documentary. Am a big Michael fan, so was eagerly waiting for the release. Will give it a 3.75 / 5 rating. Not in the league of Senna or even a movie like "Rush", yet I will recommend all petrolheads to watch it. After all, documentaries & movies on cars are such rare affairs.
Saw it a second time yesterday and somehow, enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. One reason could be that expectations were lower and also, you notice a lot of smaller details in a repeat view of films. Loved all the insights on Schumacher from his family, friends, managers & team members. But will stick to my original rating. Good documentary, not great.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks