Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 19:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indian Rally-spec cars, FWD or RWD?

the cars that run in INRC,like the cedias and esteems,are they front-wheel drive?wouldn't a rear-wheel drive car fair better in a rally?and can we convert any FWD car(say a honda city)into a RWD?
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2010, 20:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

All the cars homologated for INRC events are FWD. Exception is the Maruti Gypsy.

Yes, typically a RWD car fairs better but the cheapest of RWD car in Indian market is over 20 lakhs and isn't homologated under FMSCI.

You can convert a FWD car into a RWD car, but the cost and technical expertise required for such a modification is very high. It is not recommended to make such changes to the car layout.

Moreover the cars needs to meet the specified regulations laid down by the motorsports governing body, FMSCI. Any modifications not conforming to these regulations are banned from participating in the INRC.

Last edited by speedmiester : 14th February 2010 at 20:36.
Old 14th February 2010, 21:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
.... the cheapest of RWD car in Indian market is over 20 lakhs...
Unless you want to rally in an Omni, Eeco, Sumo etc

Heres a related thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ars-india.html

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2010, 21:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Unless you want to rally in an Omni, Eeco, Sumo etc
I can add upto that

Amby
Contessa classic
Padmini
or even a Tata Nano
Old 14th February 2010, 21:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
I can add upto that

Amby
Contessa classic
Padmini
or even a Tata Nano
Well i guess the difference is that those were used in rallys once upon a time (barring Nano). I'd like to see an Omni doing the same

Amby :

Padmini :

Source for both images : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...tml#post736380

cya
R
Old 15th February 2010, 20:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Well i guess the difference is that those were used in rallys once upon a time (barring Nano). I'd like to see an Omni doing the same

I didn't know an Amby could do that and what is the next pic Padmini drifting!!!

Good find Mr.Rehaan
Old 7th March 2010, 15:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
I didn't know an Amby could do that and what is the next pic Padmini drifting!!!

Good find Mr.Rehaan
@vaisakhr, you should see this thread (Mr. Niaz Ali) from one of the baap of rallyist in good old days of ambi's & fiat's.

I want to get into this sport, but so sar (from past 6 months) the info I have gained is fairly in meager proportions. Looking for more info & help!
Old 15th September 2010, 00:02   #8
BHPian

My 5 cents would be, buy the cheapest road worthy car possible. Get the underbody examined and strengthened along with the sump guard (not necessary).

Join the adventure trails in the rally and start gaining knowledge. better go gradually than finishing up your accounts in one go.

This way you will have enough money to participate in more than one rally and your aim should be to finish. Having a 4WD all pepped up for rally and not even finishing is the last thing I would like to do.

I myself have bought a palio and preparing it for SJOBA and RAID next year, pepping it just enough that it can participate in the adventure and finish. Will be joining the rally kings and adding the knowledge from then to my experience and see how far I can go without emptying my coffers
Old 15th September 2010, 01:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the cars that run in INRC,like the cedias and esteems,are they front-wheel drive?wouldn't a rear-wheel drive car fair better in a rally?and can we convert any FWD car(say a honda city)into a RWD?
Depends. On loose surfaces, a FWD can sometimes perform better than a RWD.

Shan2nu
Old 15th September 2010, 11:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Depends. On loose surfaces, a FWD can sometimes perform better than a RWD.

Shan2nu
Rightly said Shan2nu, infact to give an example, when taking a turn if the back end comes lose for any reason, proper modulation of the throttle will give the car the grip to pull itself straight out and in the line of driving, contrary to opinion that the front wheels start slipping and sliding.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palio1.6-2002 View Post
My 5 cents would be, buy the cheapest road worthy car possible. Get the underbody examined and strengthened along with the sump guard (not necessary).

Join the adventure trails in the rally and start gaining knowledge. better go gradually than finishing up your accounts in one go.
Also, participate in MSIL's Autocross .. Its courses are pretty tight and are conducted in the cities (on dirt / tarmac). May want to hone your skills here too.. All the Best and keep us posted with your learning experiences !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks