Team-BHP - Big Bang v. Screamer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motor-Sports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-sports/)
-   -   Big Bang v. Screamer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-sports/92527-big-bang-v-screamer.html)

I recently read on Ducati's website about Rossi's Test at Valencia. They said that, they tested Big Bang and Screamer configurations. I searched over the internet but did not find any satisfactory explanation.

Can anyone please explain these two configuration and pluses and minuses of the both?

I would be thankful.

If I have posted in a wrong section, moderators please correct.

Regards.

Don't know what it means in this context because i havent seen the article. But generaly in bike terms "big bangers" are the twin cylinder bikes (ducati) and screamers are the inline fours like japanese sports bikes (r1,r6 etc). It is nick named based on the sounds these engines make.

each have their own advantages.. The obivious ones I find are the big bangers have more low end torque and the screamers have better top end speed. Its a bike :) so both are fun to ride..in their own ways.

Big bang configuration in a 4cylinder engine have the firing order and the crank configuration arranged such that power stroke in the engine across multiple cylinders are bunched up close to each other with long gap in between. Cylinders 1 and 3 might fire close together and then......after a gap....cylinders 2 and 4 might fire close together. They don't fire together but close together. Idea is to make the 4 cylinder bikes behave like a V twin as its said to provide more traction (regain traction) than screamers as the power comes in pulses.

Screamers have the firing order spread evenly in a 360degree rotation of the crank, in a 4 cylinder engine it would be 90degrees apart.

I'm sure you will get a better explanation if you search the Internet bit more thoroughly.

In short, big bang aims to provide torque low down (maybe the only -ve of an I-4) while not compromising on its crazy rev-ability to scream to the top.

Yamaha with its production 2009 YZF-R1 did the same as said by Sankar and in Yamaha speak named in cross plane crank.

You may scour the net for more information and when I have time in hand will do so and pour over my founding here.

Not essentially the same thing, but then you really cannot compare an Asian spec (race prepped) bike to a street spec Motorcycle, forget comparing it with WSBK and more so with Moto GP Motorcycles.

Waiting for others to chip in.

As I recall, the bigbang concept debuted during Doohan era in the NSR500 GP machines to increase - essentially firing all the 4 cylinders of the 2 stroke V4 in quick succession as opposed to equally spaced firing. Bigbang gives relaxation time for the tyre to get traction.

It has nothing to do with twin or 4s [or 2stroke 4storke]

Take a look at this article released by Yamaha:

Soup :: Ryder Notes: Big Bang By The Numbers :: 12-17-2007

Krishna