Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 19:44   #1
BHPian

Issue with my Suzuki Fiero (Street Spec 187cc bike)

Hi,

MODS: If this not the right place or an existing thread exists detailing this issue. Please move it there.

I have a 2001 Suzuki Fiero which is modified to a Street Spec 187cc bike. Lately I have been facing a weird issue with it. It all started after I took the bike for a nice pressure wash.

The engine switches off when rear break pedal is pressed on idle. It does not die when there is slight acceleration.

Other things I have noticed are:

The battery suddenly seems dead. With the Engine off, the green N(neutral) light does not glow immediately. After a while it does come on, but fluctuates in a slow sine wave motion. Indicators do work well. Horn has been silent for a long time, never bothered cos the free flow exhaust did the job. Once the engine is started, the neutral light comes on.

Would be taking the bike to the mechanic, hoping its a minor electrical issue. Posting here, to get an insight as to what the issue could be.

Regards,
MaSh
Old 26th April 2011, 01:31   #2
BHPian

re: Issue with my Suzuki Fiero (Street Spec 187cc bike)

mashmash - Nice ride you have there.

Nothing to worry, wiring seems messed, cant say for sure, but as a safety measure once it comes back fixed, please ensure you follow this to not face such issues in future:

1. Dont pressure wash your bike, if need be, use the pressure wash for wheels and the mud guards avoiding seals and parts which are greased (it will just get washed away thereby causing more damage)

2. For the rest of the bike, use an ordinary water pipe at your home with some shampoo (I use a sachet of clinic plus mixed with a tablespoon coconut oil...this, after trying out every possible product in the market, found it keeps the paint shiny and newer than anything else) and follow that up by buffing it with a quarter mug of water mixed with 2 cap fulls of waxpol.

3. For the engine and other mucky parts use a toothbrush and diesel (rather than use diesel in a mug like the mechs do, just buy a colin spray, empty it and fill it up with diesel so its easy to spray/reach troublesome parts such as under the carbs and let the toothbrush do its job.

4. NEVER get water close to exposed wires, the battery, coil casing, filter, carb, plugs etc.

If you do, dismantle those parts and lay them out in the shade (direct sun is again harmful) and fit them back so you dont have problems of stalling or rough idling or anything related).

Hope this helps!
DevilsOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 11:18   #3
BHPian

Water in the fuse box below the seat is the culprit, Have it checked.
Else check ignition Asssembly for lose contact
s.prashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Yes a loose wire is what I also assume. The lose wire could be the reason the battery is draining. I pressure wash the bike once in a month, usually after a long ride. Hoping its nothing major. Have had her with me for 10 years now and I do follow the suggested steps to keep her clean.
Old 27th April 2011, 01:27   #5
BHPian

Re: Issue with my Suzuki Fiero (Street Spec 187cc bike)

That's her soon after the wash. Taking her to TVS tomorrow morning to rectify what ever is wrong.

That's the pulsar 220 projector doing head light duties.

The regular service is also due. Items on my mind for the service apart from general servicing items:

1. Change rear shocks to new HH CBZ ones. No other bike comes with non gas shocks which would be hard enough. Its currently got TVS Star City shocks which are amazing when ridden single, but with a pillion on board, they bottom out on smallest of undulations.
2. Remove Side Studd box and Saree Guard.

MaSh
Attached Thumbnails
Issue with my Suzuki Fiero (Street Spec 187cc bike)-bike.jpg  

Last edited by mashmash : 27th April 2011 at 01:32. Reason: Content
Old 27th April 2011, 01:32   #6
BHPian

MashMash - If you have some dough to spare, I recommend you pick up another one (they go quite cheap these days) and have it handy for a time when spares for this become an issue. This machine is a classic and it would be more an investment than an expense Cheers!

ps - I forgot to mention in my last post to have the wash guys wrap plastic around the key parts to avoid such hassles in future..
Old 27th April 2011, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Nothing to spare at the moment. All dough soft booked for something else. I have not faced any parts issue so far as a whole lot of parts are common to the Apache family.

Yes the delicate parts always taken care of, this is the first time in 10 years such a thing happened. I feel a wire whole insulation was getting worn out, finally came in contact with a metal part on this day. That could also be the reason why the battery is draining.

What does a slow pulsating N (neutral) light with Ignition ON - Engine OFF say?

Last edited by mashmash : 27th April 2011 at 11:52.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:56   #8
BHPian

Hi Mashmash, you got a nice bike. I became nostalgic seeing it. I had a Suzuki Fiero which my Dad gifted in 2001. My very own first bike. Same colour too. It was such a wonderul bike. I had her totally transformed with these fibre-kits 4 years back and then she was lost. She wasn't the same again and I faced braking issues with her since the whole riding postion had been altered with. Keep her well. I miss my bike, I named her Shelly. Escuse me for that!

Senti-yours
Champion
Old 27th April 2011, 14:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

the earthing cable below the headlight console undergoing thru the tank is short/loose. just fix it properly and everything will be all right. even the blinking console lights and other lights will be alright.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 16:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
the earthing cable below the headlight console undergoing thru the tank is short/loose. just fix it properly and everything will be all right. even the blinking console lights and other lights will be alright.
Ahh could that be the reason why my fuel meter suddenly went dead last week? This is a great tip, will surely get this one checked.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:56   #11
BHPian

Mashmash,

Going OT, What are the modifications you've done to the bike, what is a Street Spec Fiero. How did you bump up the displacement to 187? IIRC Fiero was a 150 CC bike.

Cheers

MP
Old 28th April 2011, 12:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Mashmash,

Going OT, What are the modifications you've done to the bike, what is a Street Spec Fiero. How did you bump up the displacement to 187? IIRC Fiero was a 150 CC bike.

Cheers

MP
A street spec is a setup that is as reliable as a stock setup, but a lot more fun. Modifications done to Engine, suspension and head light. Its been almost 8000 kms and 2 years on this setup. She is my daily ride. No issues what so ever. Due credit goes to Joel Joseph from Bangalore.

Maybe I should start working on my ownership report.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 02:56   #13
BHPian

After ignoring her for almost 2 weeks, I took her to TVS.

The two issues identified were:

1. Fuel Meter not working: A wire connected under the fuel tank had come lose. It was plugged in again and the fuel meter needle came to life.

2. Bike dying when rear break pedal is depressed on idle. This did not happen today. The Neutral light fluctuating was directed towards an old and dying battery. My battery is about 4 years old.

Mechanic says, there is no issue with wiring. Fingers Crossed.

Bike did die when the rear brake pedal was depressed later on. Mechanic still stuck to his Dead Battery reasoning.

Now coming to battery, my bike takes in a 6v battery. Currently I have Exide, however, the mechanic recommended Amron and TVS battery. Since my bike has no self start, horn(FFE does this added duty), dashboard light, or any other battery intensive consumption, I am not going to do too research on battery and go in for the most value for money battery from either Exide, Amron or Base. Any suggestions?

Mechanic did say, that there are maintenance free batteries and are cheaper than the normal ones because they are use and throw as they cannot be recharged like other batteries. I am fine with maintenance free batteries.

Do feel free to provide your feedback and suggestion or even provide contradictory views on what the mechanic has stated.

One thing for sure, it was wonderful riding her again after 2 weeks, the beautiful weather today, here in Hyderabad added to the wonderful feeling. She really brings to life every cell in me.

MaSh
Old 18th May 2011, 13:22   #14
BHPian

No one interested here I guess. Update in any case.

The bike finally went in for service. Err was forced to give it actually. Had a fall about 100 mtrs from the service center.

Damage to bike:
1. Head light dome broke
2. Scratches on the tank fairing(the one that says Di-Fi Logic).
3. Dent on the Custom exhaust.

Damage to Me:
1. Scrape on left palm and right knee.
2. Sprained right foot.
3. A cut lip due to the helmet.

If I did not have the helmet, damage to face would have been severe as I went face down really hard. Not a crack on the Studds Helmet, but now that it's kissed mother earth, it has to be decommissioned from active Duty. What Next?

Wish I was wearing my Cramsters, palm would have been saved.

Alright, bike is back from service and here are the updates.

1. General Service
2. Electrical Issue:
a. Power Coil - No Issues
b. Battery - Dead, would not even charge.
c. Tail light switch near rear brake pedal - kaput and shorting the electrical system. Disconnected.
The SC does not have in stock Battery, tail light switch and head light dome.

Will source the first two from outside.

My Headlight dome was customized to house a P220 projector. But now, with the Dome broken, I need to think of an alternative. Not intending to do the mod again or go in for a Fiero dome.

Options in my head:

1. Round headlight - Which one?
2. Yamaha FZ headlight - Unsure of how it would look on a Fiero.
3. TBHP Recommendation - Most Welcome, looking forward to this one.

MaSh
Old 19th June 2011, 14:50   #15
BHPian

A good Saturday. Treated the Fiero with a new Amron Battery, Round head light and handle bar from Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic.

FZ handle bar was not in stock and the headlight needed a custom bracket for which I did not have the time. So maybe in due course.

Battery:
Amron maintenance free battery. Rs.800/-. On testing my old battery, I was told, that it was dead(I was not surprised) as two of its cells were not working. With the new one in place, Neutral light and indicators are brighter. Horn could not be tested as it had conked off a year ago. It is in any case of little use when there is a free flow singing.

OT: Even the car got a new battery. Amron maintenance free. My used battery fetched me Rs.700/-. So in all I paid 4k for two batteries. The guy came to my apartment and changed both the batteries. Not sure but it could be on the higher side. Bike battery comes with 4 years warranty and Car's 3 years.

Headlight:
Classic Pulsar 150 round head light. Rs. 450/- + 200 for bracket. Another 80 bucks for bulb, rubber washers,etc. The headlight and bracket were a direct fit, beam is quite alright. I would say, does the Job. Can manage with it, till I find a way to add the projector.

Handle Bar:
Pulsar 150 Classic handle bar. Rs. 250/-.Handle bar is not too different from the OE Fiero Classic handle bar. The height is slightly lesser and that sure helps. I can imagine what an FZ handle bar can do.

The bike feels a lot better, after the handle bar change. The reason being, the handle on my bike got bent on her first fall 10 years ago. So have always ridden with a bent handle. Will have to get used to a normal handle now.

Pics: Very soon.

MaSh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks