Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Project Yamaha Rx

I am planning to build a Rx, without any technical knowledge and a budget of about 30/40k to spend.

To put it simply what i need to know are the following points.

1.) Buying a Rx 100/ 135/ Rxg /Rxz (4sp or 5sp).
2.) Converting a Rx100 to 5 speed ..or 135 to 5 speed.
3.) Whats an oversize or porting is beyond me all i need to know is how will it justify the work. (i.e will it increase speed/performance).
4.) Getting all stock parts from the market or repairing the old ones. (Including the engine barrels or pistons).
5.) Even if the engine is in running condition, buying the barrels, pistons and working on them is better or modifying the old ones is better.
6.) Performance enhancements which suit the bikes image too. (imho the proton silencers on yamaha look yuck to me).
7.) To convert it to a CDI for hassle free startups.
8.) Have read a lot of negative comments for Rxg, basically why not the RXG?

I am basically a nostalgic owner of a 1979 Royal Enfield Bullet and have changed the theme on the bike 3 times in last 10 years since the day i acquired it from my dad. So Rx is the only other bike that fascinates my imagination as building a bike from scratch or getting a bike in mint condition is my passion.

The search for one is on but your valuable advices will help me bring a better baby in my garage.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Project Yamaha Rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I am planning to build a Rx, without any technical knowledge and a budget of about 30/40k to spend.

3.) Whats an oversize or porting is beyond me all i need to know is how will it justify the work. (i.e will it increase speed/performance).
4.) Getting all stock parts from the market or repairing the old ones. (Including the engine barrels or pistons).
5.) Even if the engine is in running condition, buying the barrels, pistons and working on them is better or modifying the old ones is better.
6.) Performance enhancements which suit the bikes image too. (imho the proton silencers on yamaha look yuck to me).

I am basically a nostalgic owner of a 1979 Royal Enfield Bullet and have changed the theme on the bike 3 times in last 10 years since the day i acquired it from my dad. So Rx is the only other bike that fascinates my imagination as building a bike from scratch or getting a bike in mint condition is my passion.

The search for one is on but your valuable advices will help me bring a better baby in my garage.

That is a decent budget you have for a quality rebuild. Here are some answers to your questions:-

You first need to decide which one you want. Everybody has his own preferences.

Its a waste of time and money. Just buy the right model you want. Too much of work required on the engine to convert it to a 100.

Oversize is the next size of a piston of what the bike is currently running. Forget about porting. Dont even fall for mechanics or people boasting their special skills and results.

Market is full of fake parts. you need to know the right source for them.

Again, running a stock engine is the best bet for you. Dont modify any part.

Which performance parts are you looking for? A stock RX can still be made faster and peppier by adding a bigger carb, UNI filter, fiber reeds, expansion chamber etc.

It already has a static CDI. You can have a digital CDI as you save on other not so recommended mods.

The RXG had some problems in their port set up which used to give some jerks while decelerating but later it was solved. I am myself having a 1997 RXG and am quite happy with it.

Start with deciding on which model, body styling you need. Search for a good mechanic prolly who has done some rebuilds for your friends. Get someone who knows about the bike and can identify you parts. Stay away from guys telling you big stories about their rebuilds and how fast they are etc. and who dont have their own workshop.
A good rebuild involves sandblasting the chassis, block etc. , good quality stove enamel [bhatti paint] , High quality chrome plating, zinc plating, Crank rebuild, Block boring, attention to detail and collecting all the necessary parts beforehand. Where in Mumbai are you located?
yamdoot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 13:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Good to see another RX fan and you are on the right budget for a RX project

as yamdoot said, decide on the model first. This beast can be restored to glorry from scrap condition, have your eyes open in checking the availability of documents
If 5 speed is your requirement, stick to RX135 / RXZ 5s rather than converting a 4s to 5s
Beware. Fake parts are available in Genuine Yamaha Packs. Find a reliable source first
Touch the engine only when there is a problem. Else NO NO
I am not an expert in this area.
For a digital CDI your budget to be stretched (depends on the cost & condition of bike you get, I may be wrong, experts please correct me)
Again I don't have clear idea on this part. I have driven my friends RXG and I don't find anything different.

Hi,

Please refer my comments in bold.
Hope to see a new beast in this forum soon.

All the very best for this wonderful project.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 14:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

The RXG and RXZ were good enough. But without the cult status of the RX 100. And yes, they could not match it's raspy, throaty exhaust note either.
Old 26th April 2011, 14:10   #5
BHPian

Thnx for the start, actually i am unable to decide which one to go for.

The Rx 100s or the Rx135. Budget is not a problem. All i am looking for is to rebuild a good one to mint condition and use it for my satisfaction.

I have read a lot of stories (half of which went like a bouncer) about porting the engine and stuff but i believe that getting a stock engine would be much better than modifying as per your suggestions.

I stay in matunga, in mumbai. I know of Lucky Scooter in sion koliwada who seems genuine with the parts or will have to find someone at Operahouse.

Bike mechanic will probably be either, Nilesh in Parel or Rajesh/ Suresh in Sion koliwada.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMO only the RX 100 is worthy of restoration to mint condition. Great bike to own and should you decide to sell it at some point, will fetch a very good return. The RXG and RXZ were only so-so even in their heydays.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 15:22   #7
BHPian

Firstly you need to decide what is the purpose of this build i.e do you need the bike in stock condition or you are looking for a fun setup.

Based on that you can decide what you want to do and respectively you can choose a model.

For stock you would need to collect the right parts OEM recommended though there are issues with getting them right now due to limited supply for barrels.

For performance options, you may choose what kind of performance you want..ready to go for porting, bigger carbs, filters, digital cdi, chambers, reeds. The options are endless and depends on the budget and intent of usuage. Look for someone who can work on your bike with right temprament and does not work through the bike hastely.

All the best for your project.

Last edited by invincible7 : 26th April 2011 at 15:24.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 15:26   #8
BHPian

decide and act ASAP

RX100 project will incur less money compared to the 135.s

Parts are getting rare, piled up with few making 200% profit. market flooded with chinese, taiwanese stuff, some good Indonesian also !! So put your act together and start the hunt

Good luck
georgev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 16:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
RX100 project will incur less money compared to the 135.s
+1
Ease of parts availability

I had an completely restored RX100 for which I did not face any issue in sourcing the parts (of course only the Engine & GB parts are OEM and other cosmetics were fake) Total cost - 22k (But bike had expired documents)

AFAIK spares for 5s & RXZ are bit difficult to source.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 16:26   #10
BHPian

I recently bought a used Rx135 and have got a full restoration done. Ill give you my views:

1.) Buying a Rx 100/ 135/ Rxg /Rxz (4sp or 5sp).: Its your choice. Take test rides of a few bikes and decide. Rxg and Rxz are not so common. 135 would be relatively easy to find. 100s are the most abundant (easy to find in Mumbai) and cheaper and easier to source parts. Also, I personally love the exhaust note of the 100. Other Rxs can be tuned to sound similar but lack the crispiness of the 100. Caution: check the papers thoroughly. I came across bikes with incomplete documents and some with none. Also, prefer bikes within the same RTO range as yours.

I would suggest you not to fidgit with this. The job can get especially complecated if your mechanic is not competent. Advice: Stick to original specs.

YamD has explained what oversizing is. I'd suggest not to fidgit with this. If the engine is running fine, be happy. Depending on the oversize the bike is already running, you could also consider a new block-piston kit. Might have to stretch your budget a bit but worth it.

You budget should be good for a full restoration with genuine parts. Also, if you intend to keep the bike for a longer duration, this decision will save you a lot of trouble.

I too feel that proton really spoils the look and the fun. I like my bike stock. There are quite a few options available for performance enhancements. Look at what yamD posted. Also, I suggest you to run the bike and get the stock feel before you go for performance enhancements of any sorts.

Not aware

Dont konw of the exact problems.

In addition, you need a good and trustworthy mechanic and a good painter. Strip down the bike completely. Get the parts chromed and buffed if you want that stock look. In any case, to ensure that the job is done well, be around when getting the job done.

The budget you have should be good enough for a restoration with genuine parts. But if you are using all genuine parts with an engine block-piston and crank change, you will mostly overshoot your budget.
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 18:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Firstly you need to decide what is the purpose of this build i.e do you need the bike in stock condition or you are looking for a fun setup.

Based on that you can decide what you want to do and respectively you can choose a model.

For stock you would need to collect the right parts OEM recommended though there are issues with getting them right now due to limited supply for barrels.

For performance options, you may choose what kind of performance you want..ready to go for porting, bigger carbs, filters, digital cdi, chambers, reeds. The options are endless and depends on the budget and intent of usuage. Look for someone who can work on your bike with right temprament and does not work through the bike hastely.

All the best for your project.
Thanks a lot sir...

I am looking for personal usage with the xfactor. What i mean to say is that i was always a Rx fan and so i dont mind modifying or getting it into stock as far as it satisfies the ride. I am ready to go for any enhancements that are basically required to keep the bike in great shape as well as fun to ride.

As i mentioned earlier budget is not a problem as i really find it passionate to use it like my possession and not as a pure transportation machine.

Reading all your reviews i think i am still not sure weather to go for the 100 or 135. RXG has been omitted from the search as i find most of the comments in the whole forum too frightening for the same. Also same for RXZ as personally i dont like the sporty look.

So hence either 100 or 135 (4/5 spd) is shortlisted in my hunt.

Will keep the post updated with my search.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:51   #12
BHPian

On a lighter side, If I was in your position, I would have loved to go for a big bore setup with stock looks. Wolf in sheep clothes .

Start gathering information about the RX series through this and other forums, how to build them, mod them and the parts required for performance and their usuage.

Also you can start looking out for bikes which are clean in papers and near to good in terms of cosmetics so that you dont have to work too much on cosmectics at least if the engine isnt right which in most cases wont be.

Then start working on building the engine to stock form in the first place.

Enjoy it for some time and then you can probably start your journey towards adding performance if you get bore of the stock one.

Make sure your bike first runs right in stock performance, before jumping the gun and moving to performance.

Whatever you do , I would recommend get yourself an RDD Digital CDI if your going to build an RX. Its an absolute must for enjoying your RX.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 16:00   #13

Being a long term owner(13years) of Rx135, here are my thoughts for your project:

This is your choice.

I would say stick with the one which is available rather than conversion is possible but its only as good as your mechanic.

3.) Getting all stock parts from the market or repairing the old ones. (Including the engine barrels or pistons).
Ensure you can source it from the right people so you get genuine parts and also it might stretch your budget. the 5 speed barrels are becoming expensive costing somehwre between 7~9K.

4.) To convert it to a CDI for hassle free startups.
You can get RDD Digital CDI in Mumbai, Joshua and rajesh used to be the contacts for this, I am not sure if they still are, this alone will give you a performance boost also

Hope to see your Beast roaring in coming days.

Last edited by manson : 27th April 2011 at 16:51.
karu_mys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 20:01   #14
BHPian

@ THE GREAT. Saw your post on the other forum too. Id say you meet up, have a look at mine and my friends bikes if you are having probs in deciding. Im at Chembur.
yamdoot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 00:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
On a lighter side, If I was in your position, I would have loved to go for a big bore setup with stock looks. Wolf in sheep clothes .

Start gathering information about the RX series through this and other forums, how to build them, mod them and the parts required for performance and their usuage.

Also you can start looking out for bikes which are clean in papers and near to good in terms of cosmetics so that you dont have to work too much on cosmectics at least if the engine isnt right which in most cases wont be.

Then start working on building the engine to stock form in the first place.

Enjoy it for some time and then you can probably start your journey towards adding performance if you get bore of the stock one.

Make sure your bike first runs right in stock performance, before jumping the gun and moving to performance.

Whatever you do , I would recommend get yourself an RDD Digital CDI if your going to build an RX. Its an absolute must for enjoying your RX.
Absolutely makes sense.

I guess i am getting a great headstart here.

Running the bike to stock condition first and then going for enhancements.

Righteously makes sense.

Somehow i dont know why the mechanics in sion are totally discouraging Rx 135 4 or 5 spd dont know why.

Is the engine sound on Rx100 so much so that it overshadows the 135s? or is it that the Rx100 Performs better than the 5 speed ?

Most Viewed