Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 01:29   #31
BHPian

Re: My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!

Took Mrs B (that's what I have name her) to the office today. She preformed just fine. There was neck to neck traffic, she managed to keep her form. Didn't get heated up or stall at all. Came back from office just now. Clicked some pics with my cell. Sorry for the bad quality of images. Included my 1978 Bullet aka Bully also in the photoshoot!!!

P.S. I know the saree guard looks horrible. Just kept it for the fitness passing of the bike!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011340.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011341.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011342.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011343.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011344.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011345.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011346.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011348.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011350.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011352.jpg  

Last edited by Leepower : 8th May 2011 at 01:36.
Old 9th May 2011, 18:06   #32
BHPian

Hi!,

Bike Looks good in company with the bull, pics with some flash light and good camera awaited

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 10th May 2011, 00:33   #33
BHPian

My camera died during my trip to North East. Just this cell-phone cam remains. Here goes some day time pics..
Attached Thumbnails
My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011353.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011354.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011355.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011357.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011358.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011359.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-08052011361.jpg  

Last edited by Leepower : 10th May 2011 at 00:38.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:33   #34
BHPian

Looks really nice also the spedways tyres have same grip as MRF.
Did u work on the silencors i mean did up open them up do the denting and repack them?

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 10th May 2011, 12:08   #35
BHPian

B looks really nice good restoration dude also the speedways tyres have exactly the same grip as that of MRF. Did you work on silencors i mean open them do denting and repack them?

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 10th May 2011, 14:24   #36
BHPian

Firstly, congrats on getting it done. Glad you got what you were looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Exhaust note is okay okay. Have to change the exhaust the tinny sound is missing. She preformed pretty well, went up a hill in 3rd gear and stuff.
What do you mean 'tinny sound'? I'm guessing you mean the opposite because a 'tinny sound' means a thin, high-pitched metallic sound (tinny - definition of tinny by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.). You actually want exactly the OPPOSITE. It should NOT be tinny man. It should be a loud rumble with a nice deep bass. Today too many Jawas and Yezdis sound tinny because their pipes have been cut to take out dents. Its a crying shame!

Quote:
It didn't cost me much, under 30K, excluding the cost of buying the bike. Most money went for spares cos I was buying them in bulk. Now, I have three sets of MRF 3.25 16 inch tyres, three pistons, two Pacao (is the spelling correct???) carbs etc, etc...
I have never checked her FE, like I never check my Bullet's FE. But my friend says she gives around 30 km per litre. I know of roadkings which give FE of around 35-40 which is considered very good!!! And I have personally seen a Jawa running on kerosene!!!
Yezdi is not a city bike. Compared to them, Bullets are a breeze to ride in city traffic, thanks to the neutral finder.
Finding the neutral before stopping is a real pain. May be it's just cos I have only been driving her for two months or so... Then if the bike stalls in the traffic, kickstarting it while sitting is a real toughie for me, I am 6 feet and have to stand up to kick start it!!!
But she never heats up like my Bull is neck to neck traffic and on open roads she rules.
Actually it shouldn't be difficult at all to find neutral on a Yezdi and certainly not if you have been riding it for 2 months (2 weeks should suffice to get used to it). Besides, there are two neutrals - one between 1st and 2nd and the other between 3rd and 4th. So actually you can reach it from any gear. And you can actually start off in 3rd even if you like (though not ideally recommended). If you're having a problem then you need to get your gearbox and clutch plates checked. I noticed that in a later post you say this was worked on. Has it helped matters? And no you are not expected to kick start it while sitting. You can do some damage to your ankle while trying to do that. My Dad rode his bike from 1980 and he actually preferred putting it on the main stand to kick start it with his right leg (and he was, and is, in superb shape). The old Yezdis require a fair amount of leg muscle and usually a person's left leg isn't really up to the task. I suggest you increase the idling speed so it doesn't shut off. Or that you keep the accelerator going. Alternatively, if you must shut it off, when you need to kick it, stand and move way back to full stretch of your arms. Thus, when you kick it'll be a forward motion for your leg rather than back and down. This makes it a LOT easier to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
IPL pistons are easily available i also have stocked a dozen may be for my bikes of all sizes you never know when u require them.
If the Jikov (SBD2969) carb is used one; if yes please check for the slide as there may be a play in it also never forget to switch off the petrol cock when not in use as this carb is prone to flooding.
While this seems to be a regular complaint, it is usually because the carb has been tinkered with by an incompetent mechanic. Ideally, it should be set using vernier callipers - something almost no local mechanics will even know! Also, it is unlikely to flood if you keep the bike on the main stand. This complaint is more common when the bike is on the side stand. IPL pistons? Well, I guess these days you can't really be choosy considering the lack of spares but don't really think IPL pistons need to be hoarded. Incidentally, since you said you needed tyres, if you go through Bangalore, MRFs are available now.

@Leepower: One little request. Please remove those awful rear view mirrors man.. You can get really nice, retro, straight-stemmed ones here (like the ones on my bike in the pic) which will go so well with your bike. Also, at some point, remove that Bullet grab rail from behind and replace it with a Yezdi original. They aren't hard to find.

Congrats again.

Cheers,

Rahul

Last edited by RT13 : 10th May 2011 at 14:27.
Old 10th May 2011, 14:54   #37
BHPian

I though Yezdi's have a slight, very slight metallic clatter along with the deep bass and rumble ofcourse!!!.
Anyways, my silencers were a real mess, the former owner has put three mufflers, actually tin sheets inside each of them, in a crude attempt to make them less noisy!!!
Had to open up the silencers to remove them all. But still I don't think, I am getting the original sound!!!
Rear view mirror and saree guard sucks big time man, I know... can't even see anything due to the vibs after going above 40!!! That is just for getting the fitness certificate!!!
The original grab rail is still there on the bike, but it is too small.
Will post a video of the yezdi firing!!!
Even I find it easier to stand and kick start it, a added advantage is that I am a lefty!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-grab.jpg  

Last edited by Leepower : 10th May 2011 at 15:04.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:19   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the update on tyres in bangalore; but i already have ordered tyres from speedways itself.
Coming to pistons i am really chossy about IPL ones as they give good performance and will never use the locals ones in my bikes.
Kindly update the method to to set the carb using vernier callipers

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 10th May 2011, 15:26   #39
BHPian

I find it very difficult to start my bikes using my left leg as my strong side is right side and i m right handed. Anyways i am getting used to starting my bike with my left leg. Pune they really redo up the silencors quite well by opening them up i guess you should wait a bit for the carbon to settle a bit for the original sound .

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 10th May 2011, 15:28   #40
BHPian

RT13, I tried to upload the video. The file is too heavy. But here is a sound clip of the firing. I am fiddling around with the idling to get the firing right. Hope you get an idea of what it sound like now.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Sound clip 11.rar (105.2 KB, 204 views)
Old 10th May 2011, 18:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I though Yezdi's have a slight, very slight metallic clatter along with the deep bass and rumble ofcourse!!!.
Anyways, my silencers were a real mess, the former owner has put three mufflers, actually tin sheets inside each of them, in a crude attempt to make them less noisy!!!
Had to open up the silencers to remove them all. But still I don't think, I am getting the original sound!!!
Rear view mirror and saree guard sucks big time man, I know... can't even see anything due to the vibs after going above 40!!! That is just for getting the fitness certificate!!!
The original grab rail is still there on the bike, but it is too small.
Will post a video of the yezdi firing!!!
Even I find it easier to stand and kick start it, a added advantage is that I am a lefty!!!
Wow, thats a lot of vibration man. if you can't see anything over 40 then your bike is going to need some work at some point I think. At the mo don't touch it. Just keep riding until it all beds down. Did you change the piston and rings? If piston then run it in for a good 1000 kms. If piston then give it 300. A lot of the vibes may just die down. Or you'll get used to it Too bad you had to open up the pipes man... Sorry to say this but you'll never get the same sound again. As I told you when you were headed to Bangalore, your best bet is to shop around for a pair of used pipes (not very difficult) which haven't been opened up and without much rust and get them done up. That's the only remedy. Unless you can locate someone who stockpiled new originals..

Quote:
RT13, I tried to upload the video. The file is too heavy. But here is a sound clip of the firing. I am fiddling around with the idling to get the firing right. Hope you get an idea of what it sound like now.
Wow... This is how it sounds now after all the work on it?? Dude, thats surprising. Then again, considering the state of the pipes perhaps it isn't. I barely recognised them as Yezdis man. If you'd like a comparative, this is a link to a video of my bike when we started it - . Keep in mind that this has had NO WORK done on it, had been sitting in a garage for 20 years, untouched, unstarted, unattended. So (touchwood) hopefully it'll just get better with a full servicing, tune-up and changing of basic parts. The only thing we did was to clean the muck of 20 years out of the carb. If you move forward to the 1 min mark, you'll hear it when it revs. Additionally, the recording was on a point-and-shoot digital camera with a very basic mic. It did absolutely no justice to the bass on it in real life.

You have a lovely bike on your hands. I'd say just keep riding it. Don't do anything major on it. Spend 6 months to a year getting to know her and in the meantime keep your ears open for the finishing touches

All the best.

Last edited by RT13 : 10th May 2011 at 18:10.
Old 10th May 2011, 20:00   #42
BHPian

Awesomeness would be an understatement. The bikes are looking amazing.
Cj3bDog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 00:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Wow, thats a lot of vibration man. if you can't see anything over 40 then your bike is going to need some work at some point I think. At the mo don't touch it

Tried out my friend's bike's mirror. Boss, my flimsy mirror was the main culprint. First of all its stem was short and to top it all I am around 6 and big. So when I grab the handlebar all I can see are my shirt or triceps!!! Managed to see a lot of things behind with my pal's mirror!!!
Changing mirror is the next priority.
Old 14th May 2011, 00:25   #44
BHPian

Where can I get original Yezdi silencers??? I am not too happy with Mr B's roar!!!
Old 14th May 2011, 23:47   #45
BHPian

Hahaha!!!! Hard to find them i mean originals, check your mails for leads.

Regards,
Ranjit

Most Viewed