Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 08:32   #1
BHPian

Need a comfortable, easy to ride two wheeler for new rider in Bangalore traffic

Hi everybody

I am a BHPian who is confused about my which bike to get as my first bike, (as I have never driven a two-wheeler before). Hence I need your expertise on recommending a new bike.

Facts: I am 25 and have never learnt to drive a two-wheeler, though I can drive a car and have a LMV license. My new place of work entails commuting about 10km one way during rush hour traffic. Also, I will have to carry some books/laptop in my backpack almost every day, which will add to the weight. I am 5'7" tall. Also, can I learn driving after buying the vehicle or is there any way I can learn to drive a two-wheeler, get a license first and then buy the vehicle.

My budget is max 55-60k (OTR Bangalore). BTW, I think prices are higher by a few thousands here compared to other cities.

P.S. Need a reasonably reliable vehicle, as I can't go to the mechanic every week.

I initially narrowed down the choices:
1. TVS Wego:
+ It's a scooter, so no gears (a boon in stop and go traffic).
+ Can carry more stuff and be used for the weekly shopping.
+ Probably best for a new rider
- Small fuel tank means visiting the petrol bunk every 10 days
- Fuel Efficiency of a scooter will be around 40kmpl (and with petrol prices in Bangalore set to touch 72kmpl, it will be more expensive to run).
- Not very good at pulling up slopes (e.g. Flyovers) (Is this true).
Note: I have shortlisted Wego as Activa is as usual a 100 day wait, and I wanted the better ride quality.

2. Honda Twister:
+ Looks great
+ Got good reviews
+ Fuel Efficiency
+ Honda quality
- Is a bike (clutch-gears)
- Probably not the most comfortable in heavy traffic?
- Honda Service?

3. Yamaha SS125:
+ Built tough
+ Smooth engine
+ Comfortable bike
- Still a bike (gears)
- A bit too much of a left-field option?

4. TVS Jive:
+ Comfortable bike
+ Best of both worlds (FE of bike + No clutch)
- FE lower than 100cc bikes
- Still not as practical as a scooter

Will take a bit of time to make the purchase decision, as I need to save up a bit more. Would really appreciate your useful expertise.
Old 1st May 2011, 09:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need a comfortable, easy to ride two wheeler for new rider in Bangalore traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Hi everybody

I am a BHPian who is confused about my which bike to get as my first bike, (as I have never driven a two-wheeler before). Hence I need your expertise on recommending a new bike.

Facts: I am 25 and have never learnt to drive a two-wheeler, though I can drive a car and have a LMV license. My new place of work entails commuting about 10km one way during rush hour traffic. Also, I will have to carry some books/laptop in my backpack almost every day, which will add to the weight. I am 5'7" tall. Also, can I learn driving after buying the vehicle or is there any way I can learn to drive a two-wheeler, get a license first and then buy the vehicle.

My budget is max 55-60k (OTR Bangalore). BTW, I think prices are higher by a few thousands here compared to other cities.

P.S. Need a reasonably reliable vehicle, as I can't go to the mechanic every week.

I initially narrowed down the choices:
1. TVS Wego:
+ It's a scooter, so no gears (a boon in stop and go traffic).
+ Can carry more stuff and be used for the weekly shopping.
+ Probably best for a new rider
- Small fuel tank means visiting the petrol bunk every 10 days
- Fuel Efficiency of a scooter will be around 40kmpl (and with petrol prices in Bangalore set to touch 72kmpl, it will be more expensive to run).
- Not very good at pulling up slopes (e.g. Flyovers) (Is this true).
Note: I have shortlisted Wego as Activa is as usual a 100 day wait, and I wanted the better ride quality.

2. Honda Twister:
+ Looks great
+ Got good reviews
+ Fuel Efficiency
+ Honda quality
- Is a bike (clutch-gears)
- Probably not the most comfortable in heavy traffic?
- Honda Service?

3. Yamaha SS125:
+ Built tough
+ Smooth engine
+ Comfortable bike
- Still a bike (gears)
- A bit too much of a left-field option?

4. TVS Jive:
+ Comfortable bike
+ Best of both worlds (FE of bike + No clutch)
- FE lower than 100cc bikes
- Still not as practical as a scooter

Will take a bit of time to make the purchase decision, as I need to save up a bit more. Would really appreciate your useful expertise.
Since you are already familiar with road rules etc. you can learn to ride the two wheeler (I am assuming you can ride a bicycle) over a weekend.

FE will be poor for all automatic transmission two wheelers (compared to manual transmission) for stop and go traffic. However if you can maintain 30+kmph speeds most of the time then there will be not much of a difference.

Scooters are more hassle free than bike and provide you with some storage space too, you may not have to carry your stuff in a backpack. This is important if you are going to ride for 10km in Bangalore in rush hour (I believe it can take as much as 1 hour - will be tough on your shoulders)
Old 1st May 2011, 11:09   #3
BHPian

Re: Need a comfortable, easy to ride two wheeler for new rider in Bangalore traffic

go for the wego , you will be able to use it to carry stuff and reduce load on shoulders plus weekend shopping etc . if mileage of this scooty a concern then the jive .
Old 1st May 2011, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you need to carry a bit of luggage often, you are better of with those auto tranny scooters. Slow and less frugal, yes, but their utility is unmatched. Carrying luggage will be much more easy. I own a bike and every time I need to carry something ,its always a pain. I hate shopping because of this.

But on the brighter side, I can accelerate hard n fast and red line too
Old 1st May 2011, 14:48   #5
BANNED

In Bangalore, A scooter is absolutely fantastic with all the stop and go traffic. Go for the the Honda Aviator or the ever so popular and legendary Honda Activa. But as my extended family owns 2 Honda Activas and a Honda Avaitor. I suggest you go for the Aviator. Do not buy any other scooter except for these two.
Old 1st May 2011, 15:18   #6
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like a scooter seems to be unanimous choice.

So which one to choose; The Activa's waiting list won't go below 3 months. Is the Aviator ok for someone of my height (5'7"), i.e. not too tall.

Else the Wego is available quick, but then, it is not as tried and tested as the Honda's.

Not considering the Suzuki Access or Mahindra scoots.
Old 1st May 2011, 15:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like a scooter seems to be unanimous choice.

So which one to choose; The Activa's waiting list won't go below 3 months. Is the Aviator ok for someone of my height (5'7"), i.e. not too tall.

Else the Wego is available quick, but then, it is not as tried and tested as the Honda's.

Not considering the Suzuki Access or Mahindra scoots.

Why are u not considering the Suzuki access, its a great scooter. believe me take a test ride and you will know.

My friend uses for more than a year now and its hassle free.

Second option i would suggest would be the Aviator, looks classy, has a front bigger tyre (hence better road performance), better mileage than activa although engines are same. (overdrive current issue)

Or else wait for Activa which is tried and tested product.
Old 1st May 2011, 16:06   #8
BHPian

avi: Get a used Activa (2 years old with low kms on the clock should set you back by about 30k). It will save you money and the heartache of nicking a new bike while parking or while learning to ride.

Once confident (asy in 3-6 months), sell it (Activas have good resale value, you may lose 2-3 k while gaining ownership/riding experience) and get yourself a new motoscoot (you can explore the market then).

Let me know if you need help procuring one.

All the best!
Old 1st May 2011, 16:13   #9
BHPian

First decide between a Scooter/Bike.

People will have different opinions about the ease of use of scooter over a bike. It is completely based on individual tastes. Scooter, yes just twist the throttle and she goes, but a bike will get you out of a traffic signal faster (not initially, but later on). For a beginner, yes scooter might be better IF YOU HAVE NEVER DRIVEN a two wheeler. BUT Please keep in mind that you won't be a 'beginner' all throughout your life.

A Bike is a BIKE. A scooter to me is, IF YOU DON'T LIKE a BIKE.To carry just a backpack u dont need to take a scooter. And since u r 25 i expect u to be a bachelor and hence no question of weekend shopping! then y the heck do u need a scooter? Men riding scooter to me is, typical family men!!!

And if scooter, anyday for the last 7 yrs if you asked me, even in sleep i would say Honda.... Activa. I dont see any scooter beating the activa yet.

If you somehow make up ur mind for a bike, I would suggest the Honda Twister or Yamaha FZ for you.Or even the Splendor (what life without mileage for a daily commuter!!!!! and the soaring petro prices).

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 1st May 2011 at 16:24.
Old 1st May 2011, 16:49   #10
BHPian

Well, its not really about the shopping/ other stuff, but I think that any scoot has great utility value (the only reason to choose it over a bike). Personally, the route I will take will go through Majestic side... and via Corporation, MG Road, Residency Road etc... will a scoot really ease riding in such cases (cos' traffic on these routes really sucks). Else am definitely willing to learn a bike, the benefits of style, ride/handling, and most importantly FE, are big pluses in their favour. Even more confused now
Old 1st May 2011, 18:45   #11
BHPian

My two cents : Sinceyou aren't a core biker,go for a gearless scooter, which one is a choice you have to make.
My recommendations are as follows:

1. Wego : Its new, TVS has come a long way in this segment. Looks are good and is a good handler (going by the reviews). Less waiting period to get one.

2. Activa : Its the mother of all gearless scooters, but you have to live with a few things initially. Arrogance of the dealer (mostly) as he sells much more he can everyday. Waiting periods could be anything from a month to 3.

3. HH Pleasure : My personal experience says it is a good scooter. Fun to drive, has a good stance and economical too.

I feel you cant really go wrong with any of the three. I suggest keep away from bikes as being a non biker, you might hate the work done on bikes every day.(For sure its a pleasure I will do anything for). And later if you get married anytime sooner, your better half can use it too.
The very good thing about scooters is the storage space available. Your laptop can stay in your backpack, but the trivial things, they can be accommodated there. And if your helmet fits in too, no way is better. I am telling this with a personal experience of using a bike with my wife as my pillion most of the times.

Just my two (many) cents.

Last edited by justwheels : 1st May 2011 at 18:48. Reason: Added some valuable points
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 18:57   #12
BHPian

Ok, so maybeeee a scooter then? Well, that narrows down the choices a lot. Yes, the storage space on a scoot is an imp factor here (for the books I will need to carry). With rush hour traffic, I think 40kmpl should be a realistic target for a scoot, right? Then it comes down to Activa vs Wego vs Access vs the rest (Aviator, Rodeo, Dio). But petrol prices rising to Rs. 80-90 maybe in a few months is a scary prospect. Groan
Old 1st May 2011, 19:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so maybeeee a scooter then? Well, that narrows down the choices a lot. Yes, the storage space on a scoot is an imp factor here (for the books I will need to carry). With rush hour traffic, I think 40kmpl should be a realistic target for a scoot, right? Then it comes down to Activa vs Wego vs Access vs the rest (Aviator, Rodeo, Dio). But petrol prices rising to Rs. 80-90 maybe in a few months is a scary prospect. Groan
I think the 40 kmpl is quite a realistic target under normal considerations. Also I would suggest, just don't be too finicky about the petrol prices. Firstly you cant really do anything about it, and you don't have a diesel option either. I know the fuel bills eat into the pocket, but then you can only opt for public transport instead, which sometimes eats into a lot many things more.
Go there and test drive all scooters, see the dealerships nearby as that will avoid hassles of long service travels. A good price and you are ready to go. Good luck man!

And if the only thing you are worried of is the petrol price, go for a Bajaj Platina or HH Dawn. Get a FE of 75-80, fit a big side saddle box and you are done with most of your worries. Its not funny as to each his own.
I bought my first bike on the same thought and Platina was my choice. But if you can hanle all that, the scooters are waiting for you.
Old 1st May 2011, 21:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Today, there is no better vehicle than the ACTIVA. You can buy that with your eyes closed. The one in white is the most in demand and the one I think you should go for. It has everything you need and is a real asset. Forget everything else
Old 1st May 2011, 23:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

First off, you have not yet told if you know how to ride a bicycle or not. If yes, you can learn to ride any motorcycle (geared or not) in a couple of days. If not, then its better to go for a gearless vehicle first.

Just my 2 cents...

Most Viewed