Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 09:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help Me with this RX-135-5 speed.

Hey bhpians,
I am really confused,as to what to do with this RX.
She has been with me,for more than 2 years now,and it has had a very bad past,still she rocks.
I tried starting her yesterday,after 10 months.
5 th Kick and she roared to life(I am pretty impressed,my Zma if left idle for 10 days,throws tantrums).

A bit about Bike's History.
She was restored by a Bhpian,and purchased by a common friend,who upgraded to a Yamaha R1,after 3 months,and since then it has been lying with me,or rather i should say,dumped with me,as its RC was lost and i had kept it in a locked room,and hardly ridden her,Now that i have found the RC,i am looking forward to it.

About the Bike.
Its a Year 2000 RX135 5 speed,with a 16" rear and this chamber(Sourced by the bhpian who restored it),it has been tuned for high end power.
it has been ported as well(Not sure about the details again,as the bike came to me,after the above said mods were done).
The bike is pretty fast,as it is,the fastest 220 and R15,dont even come close to it in a straight line.

Issues with the bike.

1)She is insanely loud,the moment she hits the powerband,you can hear her,from at least 2kms(I am not kidding),i can sacrifice a bit of power,but will a little glasswool help???

2)She hasnot been upjetted,and i fear the engine will blow up,should i revert to stock exhaust??

3)She doesnt even have a Keyhole,just kick start it,and you are off
I dont mind,restoring her back to Stock form,but should i go for it?

Need suggestions to get her up and running ASAP,need suggestions as to where should i start from?
Attached Thumbnails
Help Me with this RX-135-5 speed.-photo2.jpg  

Old 1st May 2011, 12:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Help Me with this RX-135-5 speed.

Hmmm its looks similar to one bhpians bike, I maybe wrong though..seen the pics in the forum somewhere long time back,

1)She is insanely loud,the moment she hits the powerband,you can hear her,from at least 2kms(I am not kidding),i can sacrifice a bit of power,but will a little glasswool help???-- Just add glasswool and she would become quiet, though you would need to do it on regular basis after couple of months to keep her quiet regularly.

2)She hasnot been upjetted,and i fear the engine will blow up,should i revert to stock exhaust??

Not sure why you have not upgetted when the chamber was added, its a basic rule. Would suggest to work on the jetting part, check what jets she is running. Also when upgetting keep checking the plug colors to know whether she is running too lean or rich and adjust jetting accordingly. I am sure you would be running some kind of filter aswell with the chamber, if not think about adding a good one to boost performance, I can recommend UNI's.

This is fairly simple, just buy the key lock set from Yamaha and take help from a competent auto electrician and this can be sorted out.

Also please plan to use an RDD CDI for your bike, can make a huge difference to the bike...better for chambered bike....think about it.

Last edited by invincible7 : 1st May 2011 at 12:22.
Old 1st May 2011, 16:18   #3
BHPian

I guess it all boils down to how invested you are in this bike.
I bought a second hand 4-speed 135 a few years ago.
I intended for it to be my daily ride (well at least 2-days a week).
For that to happen, I had to rebuild it to my requirements, not sticking to those tweaks that were already done.
It was a simple enough job for me:
1. New block/piston
2. New wiring harness
3. New tank, unpainted panels, all repainted to the shade I wanted
4. New MRF zappers for front and rear, with new brake pads etc.
5. New rear shock absorbers, sprocket and chain.
6. New exhaust, muffler(from RX100) drilled out to free the flow and make her sound sweet.
7. New handlebar, control cables, indicators, lock set etc.
8. Custom single seat with cowl.
A few years, all of this cost me about 15-20k, today just the block/piston kit would be upwards of 6k.

To get started, I would ride the bike as it is, maybe only swapping the chamber for a regular exhaust, checking the carb tuning and jetting to ensure stock, and replacing the filter element along with oil. For a bike that has been standing without action for a while, I'd clean out the tank, disable the auto-lube pump and use premix (3%).

Ride for a while with this setup, and you will know what you need to add/take away from the entire config. For instance, I prefer bottom and mid-range, as my daily commute requires it.

If at any point in time you want to go crazy, just plonk in the tuned setup and enjoy. The parts are going to get more expensive as the days go by, I'm sure, so again, if you intend to keep the bike around, couldn't hurt to get yourself a block/piston/rings set, plugs, jets, control cables, sprocket/chain kit.
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 22:53   #4
BHPian

my 2 cents

frankly speaking, after riding a ported chambered RX it will be an insult if i tell you to go back to stock rather what you can do is to strip her and give 2 coats of paint before she rust into pieces. go back to the stock look by fixing the mudguards. decarb the cylinder, check and tune the carbs. if the bike is not overheating then i hope the jets are of the right sizes.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:48   #5
BHPian

@Akshay, I feel you should strip her completely and be ready to spend and bring her in stock form. About the loud chamber im afraid you cant do much about it. Try stuffing new glasswool but not too tightly. Jet her properly and even in stock cosmetics, she'll be a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Get OE mudguards, grabrail, rear numberplate holder, lockset etc and you should be good to go. The whole thing should not cost you more than 10k. You can still keep the 16" wheel in its stock form.
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:10   #6
BHPian

Thats a swanky looking bike there, looks more like the Rat-Race bikes of the famed Road Rash PC Game.

Take it back to stock. Keep the exhaust it'll look alright even in stock. Change the front mud guard to a chrome one of a RX-100.

Get a tail lamp, and a rear fairing also change the side panel and fuel tank graphics to replace with the RX 100.

Its an awesome bike to ride to work or a late night ride down the road.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Hmmm its looks similar to one bhpians bike, I maybe wrong though..seen the pics in the forum somewhere long time back,

1)She is insanely loud,the moment she hits the powerband,you can hear her,from at least 2kms(I am not kidding),i can sacrifice a bit of power,but will a little glasswool help???-- Just add glasswool and she would become quiet, though you would need to do it on regular basis after couple of months to keep her quiet regularly.

Not sure why you have not upgetted when the chamber was added, its a basic rule. Would suggest to work on the jetting part, check what jets she is running. Also when upgetting keep checking the plug colors to know whether she is running too lean or rich and adjust jetting accordingly. I am sure you would be running some kind of filter aswell with the chamber, if not think about adding a good one to boost performance, I can recommend UNI's.

This is fairly simple, just buy the key lock set from Yamaha and take help from a competent auto electrician and this can be sorted out.

Also please plan to use an RDD CDI for your bike, can make a huge difference to the bike...better for chambered bike....think about it.
I aint a greasemonkey,and lack of technical know how,and lack of spares up north,is the reason,that it is running on stock Jets.
I wanted to get the RDD CDI,but then i read a few horror stories about CDI blowing up due to incorrect installation.
Lets see,what i can do this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
I guess it all boils down to how invested you are in this bike.
I bought a second hand 4-speed 135 a few years ago.
I intended for it to be my daily ride (well at least 2-days a week).
For that to happen, I had to rebuild it to my requirements, not sticking to those tweaks that were already done.
It was a simple enough job for me:
1. New block/piston
2. New wiring harness
3. New tank, unpainted panels, all repainted to the shade I wanted
4. New MRF zappers for front and rear, with new brake pads etc.
5. New rear shock absorbers, sprocket and chain.
6. New exhaust, muffler(from RX100) drilled out to free the flow and make her sound sweet.
7. New handlebar, control cables, indicators, lock set etc.
8. Custom single seat with cowl.
A few years, all of this cost me about 15-20k, today just the block/piston kit would be upwards of 6k.

To get started, I would ride the bike as it is, maybe only swapping the chamber for a regular exhaust, checking the carb tuning and jetting to ensure stock, and replacing the filter element along with oil. For a bike that has been standing without action for a while, I'd clean out the tank, disable the auto-lube pump and use premix (3%).

Ride for a while with this setup, and you will know what you need to add/take away from the entire config. For instance, I prefer bottom and mid-range, as my daily commute requires it.

If at any point in time you want to go crazy, just plonk in the tuned setup and enjoy. The parts are going to get more expensive as the days go by, I'm sure, so again, if you intend to keep the bike around, couldn't hurt to get yourself a block/piston/rings set, plugs, jets, control cables, sprocket/chain kit.
I am planning to at least get a mudguard and a number plate.
How easy or difficult is it to source Cylinder kit\Piston\Crank for a 5speed?
How does a RX100 exhaust sound on a 135.
My mechanic recommended the same,stock one is too heavy as it comes with a Cat con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
my 2 cents

frankly speaking, after riding a ported chambered RX it will be an insult if i tell you to go back to stock rather what you can do is to strip her and give 2 coats of paint before she rust into pieces. go back to the stock look by fixing the mudguards. decarb the cylinder, check and tune the carbs. if the bike is not overheating then i hope the jets are of the right sizes.
Paint is the first thing,i will do(any suggestions for a color change?,i already have decals with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamdoot View Post
@Akshay, I feel you should strip her completely and be ready to spend and bring her in stock form. About the loud chamber im afraid you cant do much about it. Try stuffing new glasswool but not too tightly. Jet her properly and even in stock cosmetics, she'll be a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Get OE mudguards, grabrail, rear numberplate holder, lockset etc and you should be good to go. The whole thing should not cost you more than 10k. You can still keep the 16" wheel in its stock form.
Instead of OE mudguards i am planning to get plastic one's to keep it light and peppy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post
Thats a swanky looking bike there, looks more like the Rat-Race bikes of the famed Road Rash PC Game.

Take it back to stock. Keep the exhaust it'll look alright even in stock. Change the front mud guard to a chrome one of a RX-100.

Get a tail lamp, and a rear fairing also change the side panel and fuel tank graphics to replace with the RX 100.

Its an awesome bike to ride to work or a late night ride down the road.
Some one else i know,had called it a rat bike
Its a RX135 that too 5 speed,i dont really want to change the panels to those of a RX100.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:15   #8
BHPian

the 5 speed is pretty quick in stock trim itself. the standard engine is pretty peaky and with a chamber, it wont really help much. ideally, get the stock chamber. and get all stock parts. almost everything is available.
i think the key to a good 5 speed is its chassis and suspension. if the suspension is bad, the bike is a pain. try and sort that out first. parallely you can work on the engine if anything is required.
it took me almost a year to sort out the bike. and i still wouldnt say everything is right.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Akshay i thought that you were going to sell it off to me hehe. Anyways.

Just get it back to stock. condittions atleast to Look stock.

no need to get The RDD CDI it is good product but just think do you really need it.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How does a RX100 exhaust sound on a 135.
My mechanic recommended the same,stock one is too heavy as it comes with a Cat con.
The sound from an exhaust is not just dependant on the exhaust. its more importantly a function of the porting of the engine. the RX 100 exhaust port is lower than the 5 speed one. that makes the 5 speed rev happy and the 100 a torquier engine.
thats why, the 100 exhaust has a distinct beat while the 5 speed exhaust is more continuous.
please bear in mind, the exhausts are also different on these bikes and that contributes as well to the different note.
if anyone is planning to junk the stock 5 speed exhaust, i ll be happy to pick it up.

cheers!
nitro
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
The sound from an exhaust is not just dependant on the exhaust. its more importantly a function of the porting of the engine. the RX 100 exhaust port is lower than the 5 speed one. that makes the 5 speed rev happy and the 100 a torquier engine.
thats why, the 100 exhaust has a distinct beat while the 5 speed exhaust is more continuous.
please bear in mind, the exhausts are also different on these bikes and that contributes as well to the different note.
if anyone is planning to junk the stock 5 speed exhaust, i ll be happy to pick it up.

cheers!
nitro
I think i have it lying somewhere.
as of now thinking to install it.
will also try a RX100 exhaust,as the stock one is too heavy.
I am planning to put all stock parts back on,and retain the 16 incher.
along with plastic mudguards.
I am also thinking of a color change,any suggestions???
@Amber,i am planning to get rid of the chamber,and turn it into a fun bike for hill rides
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:02   #12
BANNED

Go back to stock size rim otherwise you are just getting the initial acceleration at the cost of engine life, put the stock pipe if you don't like chambers, I have invested enough amount of time on trying various stock pipes like old RXZ, RX100, RX135 instead of catcon pipes but even after being heavy these catcon pipes works like small chamber and gives the best pick-up with optimum mileage.
Up jet her with filter and CDi you know very well from where to source them.
Disc break from its own sibling will be really great if you can source one.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Go back to stock size rim otherwise you are just getting the initial acceleration at the cost of engine life, put the stock pipe if you don't like chambers, I have invested enough amount of time on trying various stock pipes like old RXZ, RX100, RX135 instead of catcon pipes but even after being heavy these catcon pipes works like small chamber and gives the best pick-up with optimum mileage.
Up jet her with filter and CDi you know very well from where to source them.
Disc break from its own sibling will be really great if you can source one.
I am just wondering,where to source the Jets from,as i have already messed up,quite a few of them by getting them done from local machining guys.
Does Ron provide,Jets along with a UNI Filter???(I have been out of touch from the forum for quite sometime now).
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:17   #14
BANNED

Spot on, I think you got the hint go get it.
BTW I have very bad experience with after market jets specially available in India, initially my RD ran with local CDi and stock RX135 jets which should be ideally speaking of 165 size, my mechanic anyhow tuned it to run the bike, later on when guru measured it came out to be of 400 size, anyway after that I came back to 320 main jets.
Drilling a jet requires a well trained hands as I tried doing it many times and with same drill bit I get various results, so its good to leave this to experts.
I have got one 165 cc big bore for my friend and he started running his bike first with 240 later on moved to 320 and with chambers he is on 400+ not sure about the exact size on 28 mm flat slider carb.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Spot on, I think you got the hint go get it.
BTW I have very bad experience with after market jets specially available in India, initially my RD ran with local CDi and stock RX135 jets which should be ideally speaking of 165 size, my mechanic anyhow tuned it to run the bike, later on when guru measured it came out to be of 400 size, anyway after that I came back to 320 main jets.
Drilling a jet requires a well trained hands as I tried doing it many times and with same drill bit I get various results, so its good to leave this to experts.
I have got one 165 cc big bore for my friend and he started running his bike first with 240 later on moved to 320 and with chambers he is on 400+ not sure about the exact size on 28 mm flat slider carb.
Never tried it with a stroker's jet.
But i had once tried it with a Zma's Jet,and it got Bored out to almost 250+ and bike wouldnt even run

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks