Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: RE ThunderBird Silencer Blunder !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
@bblost - Will get to the checks asap. Its killing me to see my bike like this. Imran bhai could you please PM Sudhakar anna's Number. I will take my Bird to him and sort these things out.
done.

Quote:
P.s - Could you tell me whats wrong with the crash guard?
Because i had a very nasty accident when an Santro with out any indication decided to take a u turn after crossing more than 10 feet from the turn radius and knocked me down the crash guard and my helmet saved me from busted leg and a bruised face for sure!
If anything crashes into this crash guard from the front. Then it buckles and hits your leg. I have even seen a case where the crash guard buckled and trapped the riders leg against the hot engine.
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:02   #17
BHPian

Oucchh.
Well in my case it actually stopped the bike from falling on to my legs and i could safely roll away and stand up.
Any other shapes suggested for the crash guard apart from this?
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:02   #18
BHPian

Acclero:

1. Exhaust issues: Not related to your problems unless there has been some interior wear-tear/damage, however you might want to switch to an Indori (I've used some heavily modified versions of the Rocket/Goldie/Indori and stock on mine and found the Indori stubby version to be the best of the lot with no loss of initial and a decent top end).

You can play with the sprocket teeth to fix that anyway..

2. Normal to spend so much on a bike in 6 years? : Yes, it depends on how you ride it. A fairweather rider with low miles with minimal "pushing the limits" may have better luck than other riders who do the opposite.

eg.

Wiring gone: Yes
Bike Siezed: Yes
Entire Crank replaced: Yes

3. To begin with, get your clutch/plugs checked, also check the air filter for oil wetness and inspect the carbs AFTER getting them spray-cleaned thoroughly from jets to wear and tear on the rubber, get the tappets adjusted and the bike tuned by a quality mech post which ask him to go for a test and take one yourself to see if and when the misfire occurs.

99% it will not. If it does, well, feel free to drop in to Bangalore and we'll fix you up!

All the best.

forgot to add, you can check a pic of my 02 TB for the exhaust and crash gaurd... by the way, how tall are you? Depending on that you may want to switch to using RD 350 handlebars, far superior comfort and handling (also visible in the gallery pic)

Can send more detailed ones to your email if you want, I dont usually upload multiple pics of automobiles on the net hence there's just one.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd May 2011 at 12:41. Reason: USE Edit post when available. Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
forgot to add, you can check a pic of my 02 TB for the exhaust and crash gaurd... by the way, how tall are you? Depending on that you may want to switch to using RD 350 handlebars, far superior comfort and handling (also visible in the gallery pic)

Can send more detailed ones to your email if you want, I dont usually upload multiple pics of automobiles on the net hence there's just one.
Even i have 02 TB and i am thinking of changing the handlebar. Can you post a pic in which the handlebar is can be seen properly. BTW i am 5'10" should i go for it?
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@SS-Traveller - Problem with The carburation?? Could you please elaborate on what to do to remedy this.
Imran has explained it already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I would proceed with the following checks.
1. There is a oil overflow container. It will be under the seat on the left hand side. Drain it.
2. Check airfilter. If the above mentioner gets full, the oil overflows into the air filter.
3. The carb has two rubber manifolds on either side, check them. If they have cracks in them, it will cause issues.
4. The carb is a Constant Vacuum one. I don't think you will be able to tune it.
5. Replace spark plug and check.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Ricky : Yes, I would certainly recommend it. I had a tough time cornering this baby over 100kmph because my elbows just wouldnt have room to play (coming from a rally spec RX), all that changed with the RD bars and many years+many footrest rubbers later, the Bars are still there! Perfect ergonomics for someone above 5'10" for cornering/touring/city riding. I wonder why RE didnt have this stock anyway. Looks way better too (the stock unswept, the stock exhaust, the stock crashguard are just not the thing for serious riders)

Pics in my profile garage.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:31   #22
BHPian

Hi,
Since there has been some work done in the clutch case, please check the CDI unit / its soldering and the Ignition coil. I had the same issue twice with two different solutions.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
Ricky : Yes, I would certainly recommend it. I had a tough time cornering this baby over 100kmph because my elbows just wouldnt have room to play (coming from a rally spec RX), all that changed with the RD bars and many years+many footrest rubbers later, the Bars are still there! Perfect ergonomics for someone above 5'10" for cornering/touring/city riding. I wonder why RE didnt have this stock anyway. Looks way better too (the stock unswept, the stock exhaust, the stock crashguard are just not the thing for serious riders)

Pics in my profile garage.
There is only 1 pic of TB in your garage :-(. Anyway how much does it cost? Do i need to change the cables also or the original will work?
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:40   #24
BHPian

Will email you some more. Original RD bars will cost you anywhere between 500-2000.

Ive got aftermarkets on mine which cost me Rs. 350 in 2002.

Everything can be retrofitted with NO modifications. Just plug and play!
Old 4th May 2011, 09:56   #25
BHPian

Thank You every one for your suggestions, Leaving the bike at the workshop and will be back after work in the evening to see what is the work progress, noted all the suggestions made.

@Devilsown - Wont the short handle of rd be a problem for a bike like TB.

And also i would like to ask if anyone has changed the controls of TB i mean the switches used for Highbeam and etc because its a pain to use dipper on Tb, any advice guys?
Old 4th May 2011, 19:59   #26
BHPian

No it wont, and you can use pass switches from a first gen P180/150 as it is easier to fit, easier to use (I had it for a long time).
Old 31st May 2011, 10:10   #27
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in posting the progress guys.
The silencer has been changed and the improvement is drastic, the bike feels good to ride again though it has a few niggles had sorted them out as well.

Thank you for all your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
RE ThunderBird Silencer Blunder !?-18052011325.jpg  

RE ThunderBird Silencer Blunder !?-18052011326.jpg  

RE ThunderBird Silencer Blunder !?-18052011327.jpg  

Old 31st May 2011, 13:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in posting the progress guys.
The silencer has been changed and the improvement is drastic, the bike feels good to ride again though it has a few niggles had sorted them out as well.

Thank you for all your advice.
I can see your bike's timing cover and gearbox cover are chrome. Did you get them buffed or they are of CI bull? If you got it buffed how is the chrome doing? because i heard chrome doesn't last long on an AVL engine.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

misfiring can also be attributed to the air getting seeped near the head or near the join where the silencer sits, get this fixed and your misfiring thing wil vanish.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 18:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Happens when you change over to a freer flowing silencer and forget to jet it right. But that said many bikes run OK with just a silencer change and no rejeting, depends on various factors. Rejetting is recommended with any intake or exhaust modifications, if done such issues would be a non issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks