Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:06   #1
BHPian

Touring Mods for a Thunderbird TS

So I picked up my first RE from a very nice gentleman on the forum. Well maintained with only 9K kms on the odo and less than a year old to boot.

I have been looking to do a few things on the bike to make it the ride a wee bit better for me. Nothing insane , so I am looking for advise on how to go about this.

1. A windshield - a small one would be helpful for reducing wind resistance. Does anyone know if we can fit one on the TBTS and where I can get it.

2. Headlight upgrade - the stock lamp is pathetic. Can we fit in a larger wattage lamp and what upgrades to the circuit is needed?

3. Tyres - Don't want to upsize really. Just better gripping tyres. Any recommendations?

4. Brakes - I guess I am still getting used to them and might be able to leave these alone. The front disks aren't really progressive, they start off a little soft and then go bang. Any suggestions or will I get used to them over time?

5. Saddlebags - I've looked at Cramsters and they seem decent. Anyone pointers there?
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:38   #2
BHPian

Pitbull: Send PM. Will help. Congrats.

The brakes actually have excellent feedback and sharpness (am assuming you mean the front), get them checked, lining, pads, bleeding if need be etc...

Forgot to add, whilst there are dime a dozen saddlebags available (cramster and other aftermarketsa), if you are in for touring mods, you need proper panniers. Them bags wont do (although, I've never used either in my days of roaming the countryside on Bullets, usually the backpack with a bottle of fuel, first aid kit, papers, towel, water, biscuits, camera, pen knife, a set of spare clothes, sufficed).

For serious touring requiring accomodation of spare tubes, cooking stove, oxygen, tent etc, a bag falls short.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd May 2011 at 09:22. Reason: back to back posts. Please use Edit if posting again within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Touring Mods for a Thunderbird TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
1. A windshield - a small one would be helpful for reducing wind resistance. Does anyone know if we can fit one on the TBTS and where I can get it.
Don't. The wind shield will get scratches and soon become opaque. Then it sets up a vortex behind it and will attract more dust into your face. Then you suffer from handling issues when its windy and you are riding fast.

Quote:
2. Headlight upgrade - the stock lamp is pathetic. Can we fit in a larger wattage lamp and what upgrades to the circuit is needed?
Check if its a Halogen. Invest in a good helmet with quick swap visors. I carry my only for touring clear visor on all my rides. As soon as its dark I swap the dark visor with the clear one. Since its only for touring, no scratches and I get excellent view.

Quote:
3. Tyres - Don't want to upsize really. Just better gripping tyres. Any recommendations?
MRF. The larger tire profiles may need some shaving of the swing arm. Highly not recommended.

Quote:
4. Brakes - I guess I am still getting used to them and might be able to leave these alone. The front disks aren't really progressive, they start off a little soft and then go bang. Any suggestions or will I get used to them over time?
With Disc's, you get used to the way they behave. Since they are self adjusting, not much manual adjustment is possible. You can try bleeding but its your call.

Quote:
5. Saddlebags - I've looked at Cramsters and they seem decent. Anyone pointers there?
If you like DIY check out
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-yourself.html
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Re: Touring Mods

Although topic is about Mods, one should also be ready to face two troubles- tyre puncture & ignition failure. But how? atleast ride to a safer place (not the roadside on a rainy late evening or inside a national bio reserve area) to do proper repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
.. I have been looking to do a few things on the bike to make it the ride a wee bit better for me. ...
See the one for bajaj Avenger. Get it angled aptly to deflect wind just over helmet visor top. still it can be troublesome at speeds.
Quote:
55/60w halogen, straight fit.
Quote:
4. Brakes - ... The front disks aren't really progressive, they start off a little soft and then go bang. ...
Do an overhaul, refurbish caliper assy with a service kit.
Rennjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 13:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
55/60w halogen, straight fit.
Can you tell me which company should i go for and the cost of it?
Old 4th May 2011, 14:09   #6

When you rode my Bike it was fitted with 55/60w . Its a straight fit.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Can you tell me which company should i go for and the cost of it?
Regular philips/ osram/ halonix costs <100 rs. Then there so called higher output lamps- Osram nightbreaker rs.800+, Philips Xtreme power rs.500+ etc. I use last one & can ride with a lightly tinted (studds) visor at night, at limit speeds though. Haven't done any comparison. Choice is yours. Ref the lighting thread

Last edited by Rennjit : 4th May 2011 at 19:32. Reason: link
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 19:43   #8
BHPian

Ricky : Phillips. That's what mine has on it, bright enough for the highways (I also have fogs but that's OT..)
Old 5th May 2011, 09:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Regular philips/ osram/ halonix costs <100 rs. Then there so called higher output lamps- Osram nightbreaker rs.800+, Philips Xtreme power rs.500+ etc. I use last one & can ride with a lightly tinted (studds) visor at night, at limit speeds though. Haven't done any comparison. Choice is yours. Ref the lighting thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
Ricky : Phillips. That's what mine has on it, bright enough for the highways (I also have fogs but that's OT..)
But there are different models also. By default i think you mean H4 bulb right?
Old 5th May 2011, 19:40   #10
BHPian

Ricky: not sure if its H4/2 But I recall it was either extreme power or vision plus (both phillips).
Old 6th May 2011, 09:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
... By default i think you mean H4 bulb right?
yes H4 p43t. T'birds have had H4 h/l for years now but just see to it before buying, some can be p45t's so never sure of RE mixes.
Old 18th April 2012, 01:04   #12
BHPian

Advice needed on headlight replacement for RE Thunderbird

I got my Thunderbird in Sept 2011, haven't ridden it much, just about 1000km till now. From the day I got it, I've felt that the headlamps are a bit dim, not adequate if you're out at night, so I've been considering changing them.

I'm not a DIY guy when it comes to this kinda stuff, so I'd be going to a mechanic for this.

From what I've read around here & other places, it seems I have two options:

1) Phillips Extreme 55W
2) A 12W or 18W LED headlamp

Which would be recommended on Thunderbird? A number of people have mentioned in forums that Thunderbird comes with 55W wiring & all, its just that RE put a 35W bulb, so a 55W bulb would be just simple to put with no wiring changes etc. Is that correct?

What about the LED? Will it give better visibility? Will it need any electrical modifications? I think I found a link here in the forums - A2Z Motorcycle Superstore | Products | LED | 12 Watt LED Headlight - will this work good?

Any advice, dos-&-donts, tips etc most appreciated.
Old 18th April 2012, 11:40   #13
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on headlight replacement for RE Thunderbird

IMO, the Philips Extreme Vision should do the trick for you or any 55/60 Watt headlamp for that matter. I upgraded from stock 35/35 of my Karizma's to a 55/60 stock of my Ritz and it worked for me without any modification. The light spread is amazing and no strain on the battery considering the DC headlamp in Karizma. Philips Extreme vision maybe definitely better that the stock Maruti bulbs. Also, this modification will cost you much lesser than going for LEDs.
Old 18th April 2012, 11:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
I got my Thunderbird in Sept 2011, haven't ridden it much, just about 1000km till now. From the day I got it, I've felt that the headlamps are a bit dim, not adequate if you're out at night, so I've been considering changing them.

I'm not a DIY guy when it comes to this kinda stuff, so I'd be going to a mechanic for this.

From what I've read around here & other places, it seems I have two options:

1) Phillips Extreme 55W
2) A 12W or 18W LED headlamp

Which would be recommended on Thunderbird? A number of people have mentioned in forums that Thunderbird comes with 55W wiring & all, its just that RE put a 35W bulb, so a 55W bulb would be just simple to put with no wiring changes etc. Is that correct?

What about the LED? Will it give better visibility? Will it need any electrical modifications? I think I found a link here in the forums - A2Z Motorcycle Superstore | Products | LED | 12 Watt LED Headlight - will this work good?

Any advice, dos-&-donts, tips etc most appreciated.

I don't mean to sound disheartening but IMO, whatever the upgrade in wattage that you might do with the bulb, the beam spread of the TB headlight lense by itself is not adequate, all the more when you are doing night highway rides. It simply is not good enough A bulb upgrade may suffice for city use though.

My suggestion would be that if you do long night rides, apart from a bulb upgrade, you should fix an auxiliary light like a Hella. Mount the light on your handle bar or crash guard and night riding problem solved
Old 18th April 2012, 19:01   #15
BHPian

I'm not into going on biking tours (not at present though). The most I'd do is like go to a friend's place in Noida or Gurgaon & then come back at night, usually less than 50km. But what I face at present is that the current headlamp doesn't give ample lighting on the road & it gets kinda freaky to ride at night. :( So for this purpose, should I go with Phillips Extreme 55W then? Or would LED be better?

Also, would like to confirm, if I go for Phillips bulb then it'll just be a bulb swap, right? Or will I need to do any other mod? I've read at some places but not sure if Thunderbird has 55W wiring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks