Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 19:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Karizma ZMR: weird starting problem

I had the same problem of display going blank and Trip Meter getting reset in my Karizma R. As soon as i replaced the battery, in January, the issue went away . I too do short distances daily so i try to keep the engine running (there is a railway crossing enroute) and use kickstart occasionally.
Old 1st July 2012, 15:13   #17
BHPian

I had the exact same problem on my P135LS. The bike was relatively new, and whenever I used the electric start, the digital console used to go blank, and after a weird crank, the bike used to start. However, whenever the engine was hot, the electric start used to work fine. I suppose your trip meter must also be reset to zero every time you used the electric start.

This is simply because the battery is not able to hold enough charge. The electric starter draws quite some current, and when there is not sufficient charge held in the battery, the digital console just doesn't get enough voltage (the heavy current drawn by the battery during start up causes a voltage drop across the various electrical junctions) for it to sustain the display.

When I got my battery replaced on warranty, everything was back to normal. Suggest you do that, as even the Bajaj ASC was just charging my battery and giving it back. Only when I shot off a mail to Bajaj, did they change the battery.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:47   #18
BHPian

I had faced the same issue with my 2004 Karizma. The fluctuating problem was solved once the battery was replaced. So here the diagnosis was correct.
But, the digital fuel indicator shows faulty readings despite of having a half tank full, it shows reserve and the indicator keeps blinking. Also the bands drop rapidly though there is sufficient fuel. This persisted despite of replacing the battery.
Kindly suggest any good mechanic in Pune who can help me solve this issue.
Thanks.
Old 15th February 2013, 15:02   #19
BHPian

Many a times the digital fuel meter is just for the sake of design and faulty it is for sure.

I am sure not meter currently available shows accurately the actual amount of fuel in the tank.

This can be due to various reasons such as the fuel meter inside the tank will be in some location but due to varying tank shapes you can never accurately predict how much fuel it has, it will also change with respect to the road incline and the position of your vehicle at that point of time.

That is why we have the reserve switch which makes sure that we do not get fooled by it!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks