Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 21:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Which bike for super back comfort?

Since your are commuting within city most of the time,Light weight bike makes a lot of sense.
manouvering a heavy bike in city traffic will take a lot of toll on your back.

Suggestions:
Karizma,Unicorn,GS150 and Hunk.

Mainly city:
1.Tvs Jive: soft suspension,easy to ride,Light weight. Please do take a test ride and decide.
2.Yamaha Sz-R- 150cc,VFM,very good comfort. Test ride is advisable.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 22:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Out of my list due to budget:

Dazzler, Karizma, Bullet, RE Thunderbird

Out of list due to not my taste of style:

Avenger

In my list now:

Unicorn, Hunk/CBZ (what is the difference apart from design?), GS150, Apache 160 (maybe. Edit: Now deleted)

GS150 looks like a good bike from the specs and great to see 6 gears. I think they recently came up with Discs at the front right, coz last I checked they had drums and I went What the for a 150CC! But is is pretty heavy at 149 KG. However, it looks more modern than the Unicorn and is well within my budget @ 71K. Will have to TD it sometime soon.

The Apache is light and seems to be a racy bike from all of your comments but if it ain't comfy, I'm not buying it.

@thumpmeister, have you test driven the GS150? Edit: Just test rode my colleague's Apache 160 and it ain't no comfort riding that man! Within 10 minutes my hands wanted a break and by 15 minutes I needed rest for my back, but I couldn't! Out of my list!
Buy the HUNK. Been using it for 2 years almost. It is a beauty to ride in city traffic due to a great low end torque (been at 20kmph in 5th gear, and accelerated out almost immediately to 40+). Does decent speeds on open road. Keep it in the right RPM band (3500-4500) and it will give perfect balance of economy and power (I get FE of 52+ consistently). The suspension and seating is VERY comfortable. I have lower back pain and dont feel it when I ride on the soft setting (I do ride on weekends on stiff setting for fun on the curves). It comes now with front and rear disk's. The braking is progressive and I have rarely (almost never) lost the rear or front under hard braking. The engine is wonderful. Go for it.

The GS150 is also a good choice, but I have seen people have rust issues with it. Also service is an issue. Hero Honda scores here.
Old 5th February 2013, 01:51   #33
BHPian

Bike Vs Back

Hello friends!
I am an avid biker by nature. My bike feels like an extension. An extension to my body and an expression to my feelings. That is the level of comfort when I ride. I love to drive also, but riding is bliss.
My work requires me to travel from Pune to Mumbai. I took this opportunity to ride on a few occasions. There starts my problem. Half the people around me start warning me that this will cause health issues. I assured them that riding wont cause any such problems since:
1. I do proper warm ups before hitting the highway,
2. The roads that I ride on are perfectly flat and not pot-holed,
3. I never exert myself and take proper breaks.

So riding never caused me any problem in the last 2 years. But I strained a lower back muscle while I was at work a week ago. Everyone who had warned me earlier jumped to me with 'I had told you this' and 'I had told you that'. But the truth is, I had strained exactly the same muscle on two previous instances even before I got a bike. Also, riding is the most comfortable position I can get into and the pain vanishes. It pains all other time. So I am digging this time to diagnose the cause of repeated straining at the same place.

How many riders here have actually suffered from riding?
I beleive that bikes like R15 may cause wrist pain since it puts more weight on the wrist. Smaller bikes cause spine pain since the seating position is vertical and the spine has to bear the jerks. And excessively heavy helmets may cause problems to neck. Correct me if I am wrong.
Is my problem actually because of riding?
If so, what can I do to prevent it, without parting away from my beloved bike? Right now my bike is under forced hibernation.
I ride a Pulsar 220 S.
Attached Thumbnails
Which bike for super back comfort?-dsc07715res.jpg  

Old 5th February 2013, 07:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bike Vs Back

It depends entirely on your riding position. Someone really tall will be almost upright on the pulsar and someone really short will almost be in a superbike crouch on the bike.

Generally there is pressure on the wrists because the wrists are the first part to take up any reaction from the front suspension and the thighs and lower back take it from the back suspension. At least that is what I find.

If you find yourself riding in a comfortable position and your back does not hurt at all after long rides, don't listen to the naysayers.

Definitely get your back examined by a good chiropractor and then figure out what you could be doing to hurt it thrice in the same place. Am assuming it may well be your seating position in the demands of a desk based job
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 07:15   #35
BHPian

yes, its true ( atleast in my case) that long term use of motorcycles and scooters do lead to low back and neck pains. our motor cycles are not properly engineered when it comes to addressing long term health issues like low back pain. there can be number of other factors which also lead to low back pain, but riding is also one of it.
most of our 2 wheeler manufacturers are these days producing light weight motor cycles ( in the guise of cost cutting) which results in a bouncy ride.
motor cycles are at best used for very small commuting within 2 -3 km radius.
nutmello is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 07:38   #36
NMS
BHPian

Frankly yes, all these problems are caused. But, I have also seen a lot of people who only drive cars having quite a few issues with their backs.
And at the same time I have seen my dad, ride a Yezdi for 40 years, and work in Heavy mechanical industry without ever complaining of back pains.
The key is to workout and ride carefully!!
There are quite a few exercises that will help strengthen your back.
Like pganapathy suggested you should get this examined, maybe your sitting position is a culprit (Chiropractor: Reminds me of Alan of two and a half men !!)
I guess that some riding jackets also have supports that help keep your back in the correct position while riding. You might want to consider that incase you haven't.

Keep Riding Man, nothing beats the feeling !! Just Ride Safe !!
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 09:15   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I actually strained my lower back on a ride to Ooty last year, the pain was so bad, that I couldn't even change position and had to come back by taxi! But it subsided in a few days and I went back to get the bike, and am never going to stop riding! (Just got back from a Bangalore-Pune ride this Sunday.)

Of course each person's medical condition is different and you certainly need to consult a doctor for your issue.

But keeping in shape goes a long way towards being able to ride a bike with comfort. Exercise, trim tummy fat, stretch, sit comfortably on the bike, think about changing/modifying the seat, use saddle bags instead of carrying a bag on your back while riding. There's a lot you can do to keep riding!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 09:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
I beleive that bikes like R15 may cause wrist pain since it puts more weight on the wrist
That's an urban legend & complete myth. The only problem I found with R15 was it's under powered, not for a 150cc though. I like it's riding posture better than my CBR 250R.

Tejas, barring the R15, try riding CBR 250R or Ninja 250R & I'm sure you'll love the riding posture. But remember to keep the thought of "aggressive riding posture" etc out of your mind. As a matter of fact, set the suspension to 2 or 3 for CBR 250R & try it on potholed road & you'll be amazed to see how the bike takes the rough road without hurting your body.

These days motorcycles are very well engineered; only thing is, you'll have to find out which motorcycle fits you well.

Just keep regular at walking with exercises & keep yourself fit. Like I keep saying, if you have that passion to ride, then nothing can stop you; passion beats everything else!!!

Here's something to cheer you - http://www.motorcycleriderbasics.com/too-old-to-ride/

Last edited by aargee : 5th February 2013 at 09:19.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 10:34   #39
BHPian

Hi Tejas, I have issues with my back - disc bulge. I dont know the exact root cause - but it was probably started by improper form during gymming and aggravted with riding. I was asked by docs to stay away from two wheelers (I used to ride a pulsar back then) and I was advised surgery, but luckily another doc ruled out the need for one and advised simple exercises to be done regularly. Though the pain did not vanish, it was much better.
Then the urge to get back to two wheels saw me buying a RE. And I have never had the same discomfort that I used to have before. A couple of Chennai-Bangalore rides later, I know riding is not all that harmful to my back
But yeah, do get your back examined.

cheers

Last edited by ZedMae : 5th February 2013 at 10:41.
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 11:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Riding is the most comfortable position I can get into and the pain vanishes. It pains all other time.
Duude!! I had such a bad back for over a month that I actually saw a doctor in over 2 years. 1 week of treatment didn't help a bit in the pain. So I hopped on the bike and rode from Nasik to Leh to Lucknow all within 12 days. At the end of day 1, there was some pain so I stuck to my medication (1/2 dose only), but by the time I stopped for breakfast on day 2 (200km from Rajasthan), no more medication was required since there wasn't any pain at all!!!!

I had a similar condition to yours, whenever I started riding the bike, the back pain would somehow disappear but it reappeared as soon as I got off. My riding positions somehow became the most comfortable position I could keep my body in.

My suggestion is, if thats what makes you comfortable, keep riding the bike. Hybernating it will give you nothing but more heartache (and back ache). Do the odd Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai ride just for the heck of it. If thats what gives you relief, you should do it more. It worked for me, it could work for you too.

P.S.: I ride a Pulsar 220 F
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 11:40   #41
BHPian

What is your height ? No offense meant, but most Indian bikes are built for the average Indian height, which I guess is around 5.5-5.6. If you are anything more than that and would still want to do long rides, AFAIK, the only motorcycle that you would be comfortable in is a Royal Enfield. I have driven around 40k+ km on Indian highways, and touch wood, my body has been able to withstand that rigors.

I tried doing a 300km in the Avenger and within 100km you would get cramps on your knees and calf muscles due to the positioning. You will have to keep your knee bent due to the placement of the foot rest.

The Honda CBR 600 RR that I owned during my stay abroad was a rather mean machine that was perfectly suited for long distance riding, in spite of the bent posture. I am not aware if the bikes that are released in India have that kind of comfort.

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 15:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
It depends entirely on your riding position. Someone really tall will be almost upright on the pulsar and someone really short will almost be in a superbike crouch on the bike...

..If you find yourself riding in a comfortable position and your back does not hurt at all after long rides, don't listen to the naysayers.

Definitely get your back examined by a good chiropractor and then figure out what you could be doing to hurt it thrice in the same place. Am assuming it may well be your seating position in the demands of a desk based job
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
What is your height ?Shyam
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
There are quite a few exercises that will help strengthen your back.
Like pganapathy suggested you should get this examined, maybe your sitting position is a culprit (Chiropractor: Reminds me of Alan of two and a half men !!)
I guess that some riding jackets also have supports that help keep your back in the correct position while riding.
Keep Riding Man, nothing beats the feeling !! Just Ride Safe !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
But keeping in shape goes a long way towards being able to ride a bike with comfort. Exercise, trim tummy fat, stretch, sit comfortably on the bike, think about changing/modifying the seat, use saddle bags instead of carrying a bag on your back while riding. There's a lot you can do to keep riding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Tejas, barring the R15, try riding CBR 250R or Ninja 250R & I'm sure you'll love the riding posture.
These days motorcycles are very well engineered; only thing is, you'll have to find out which motorcycle fits you well.

Just keep regular at walking with exercises & keep yourself fit. Like I keep saying, if you have that passion to ride, then nothing can stop you; passion beats everything else!!!

Here's something to cheer you - http://www.motorcycleriderbasics.com/too-old-to-ride/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
But yeah, do get your back examined.

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I had a similar condition to yours, whenever I started riding the bike, the back pain would somehow disappear but it reappeared as soon as I got off. My riding positions somehow became the most comfortable position I could keep my body in.

My suggestion is, if thats what makes you comfortable, keep riding the bike. Hybernating it will give you nothing but more heartache (and back ache). Do the odd Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai ride just for the heck of it. If thats what gives you relief, you should do it more. It worked for me, it could work for you too.
Thanks a lot everyone for the inputs. It helped me clear some doubts. My height is about 5'9". I am in a very comfortable position on the bike. I actually forget the pain while riding. But my bike has been banned by my parents and friends [] I am forced to drive around. Car is also comfortable but only in the either of the front seats which I can recline. But unlike the bike, I cannot drive for a long periods and I find myself reclining the seat a bit at every signal. Its difficult to convince the people who care.
Being in the automobile industry on the technnical side, mine is not a sitting job. But still it is physically strenous. Ocasionally I have to lift heavy stuff or get into tight places. This might have a contribution. Can the bike aggrevate my situation? I dont think so.
I do warm-up and stretches before long rides. Hereafter I will also concentrate on strenthening my body. I will also consider riding jackets, they will also protect me. Cannot consider modifications to the bike since I am already comfortable with the bike. Cant guarantee the comfort after modifications. I have ridden a CBR and liked the seating position. Haven't got a chance to take it on a long ride yet.
The X-Ray has been done and reports are awaited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
P.S.: I ride a Pulsar 220 F
Cheers!!
Old 6th February 2013, 07:20   #43
NMS
BHPian

Thats the Spirit Tejas !! Its good to see that you are ready to make changes and exercise to keep riding. I frankly do not see a need for making any modifications to the bike or changing the bike if you feel Pulsar is serving its purpose as of now.

Dead Lifts can be very helpful in strengthening the lower back. But be careful while doing those.
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 14:32   #44
BHPian

Good news as X-rays are normal. It is just a strained muscle. The doc says it might be because of incorrect posture or due to bending and lifting something heavy. My posture is good while riding or otherwise. I suppose it might be because of lifting heavy stuff or bending into some engine compartment for prolonged time. I can ride a bike but I have to be careful about bumps and other irregularities on the road. A single jerk can aggrevate the injury. I can start exercises once the back is perfect. May be in another 15 days.
About why the same muscle is getting strained again and again, I would guess that it is the weakest. This is a non-medical guess though.
Thanks to everyone for the helpful inputs and cheering me up. I had started to doubt if the problem is really because of the bike.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the helpful inputs and cheering me up. I had started to doubt if the problem is really because of the bike.
Good news after all Tejas, am sure with time it should heal up better. Suggest you to consult the doctor or a physiotherapist who can suggest some exercises to strengthen it for you. From your description it appears that it might be an occupational hazard.

For riding suggest you to explore different seating postures and am sure you will find a sweet spot which might work better for you instead of an ideal posture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks