Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 00:03   #1
BHPian

Which 150/180CC Bike??? Mumbai Traffic

OK guys, this is the age old question.. Which Bike?

The specifications:
- Daily commute of 60 - 70 kms in mix of WE highway and city road traffic..
- Used to a nimble handler like Caliber over the years (so handling is a criteria)
- FE of 50+ would be a requirement
- Ride comfort would be the 2nd priority

My riding style is a bit edgy.. but that doesnt mean I would like to go for a freak like the RTR 180... :

Currently have the Pulsar 180 and Suzuki GS150 in mind after going through the various threads.. Need your valuable advice...
Old 13th May 2011, 00:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Which 150/180CC Bike??? Mumbai Traffic

Also consider the Hunk, Unicorn and Unicorn Dazzler, for long commutes a bit of refinement in the ride wouldn't hurt. I've not been to happy with Pulsars' rear suspension (have a 220, but 180 shouldn't be any better) and the resultant handling.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 00:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

The CB Dazzler is a very cool customer. Gets the job done with little fuss to it. It offers a very comfortable ride and reasonable performance.

The GS150 is also a capable all rounder.

Both bikes with give you good returns on efficiency. Try and test ride your shortlist and post your opinions. That would be the best way to gauge comfort.
EssYouWe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 02:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

70kms a day and decent FE should mean only one thing - Get a Unicorn!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 08:56   #5
BHPian

The vibe free nature, the upright seating posture and good suspension make the Unicorn your best bet. But most of the recent Uni owners I know are not getting 50kmpl efficiency. Its more closer to 45kmpl. ( the older gen used to give 55-60kmpl). But the main problem is the insane waiting period.
The HH Hunk, CBZ Extreme, Honda Dazzler are all similar to an extent, as they basically use the same engine( but not as vibe free as Unicorn)
The GS150 is a good option, provided Suzuki service is good in your area.
Also look at the Honda Shine, its a good bet for your requirements.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 09:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
70kms a day and decent FE should mean only one thing - Get a Unicorn!
Not to forget his 2nd priority - comfort. And a mention of 'handling' was also made. After the 1st generation HH CBZ, Unicorn was the bike whose handling really impressed me.

At the risk of being called a Honda fanboy (No! I'm NOT!), IMHO Get the Honda Unicorn.

CB Dazzlers looks are subjective, me also thinks its priced a little higher than its worth. Consider testing it (and also the new HH Hunk) if rear discs spell more safety for you.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

^
The CB Dazzler also handles slightly better than the Unicorn. It might just be because of the lower kerb weight, but the Dazzler feels a lot more flickable in traffic.
Also, rear discs are always an advantage.

Cheers
Old 13th May 2011, 16:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post

My riding style is a bit edgy.. but that doesnt mean I would like to go for a freak like the RTR 180... :

Currently have the Pulsar 180 and Suzuki GS150 in mind after going through the various threads.. Need your valuable advice...
If you really do not have any problem with TVS Brand Image go for any of of the Apaches.
1> Apache 180 .. 40-45 km/lit
2> Apache 160.. 50-55 ..km/lit (you will have to be easy on throttle)
3> Apache 160 EFI --55-60 (Dont know if bikes are still available)

advantages.
1> Better low end torque.
2> Best in class breaks.
3> Best accelaration.
4> Very good headlight.
5> Nice looks and great Instrument cluster.
6> Very good stability.
7> Nice throty roar.
Negative.
1> Tyres.
2> TVS Brand in mumbai is not that great.
People say vibrations but, that will be there in 160 that also certain power band.

Even consider Suzuki GS150 as very good bike, but the hight is too much for my liking.But didnt likes the breaks much.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Honda Dazzler would check all the boxes in your requirements!

I would have suggested the RTR180 as you had mentioned that comfort is a second priority, but you have ruled it out so not recommending it.

But the Dazzler/GS150R are not as nimble as the RTR. So you will loose out a bit on that front.
Old 13th May 2011, 17:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post

The specifications:
- Daily commute of 60 - 70 kms in mix of WE highway and city road traffic..
I see
- Used to a nimble handler like Caliber over the years (so handling is a criteria)
Ahaa
- FE of 50+ would be a requirement
Ok(?)
- Ride comfort would be the 2nd priority
Right.
My riding style is a bit edgy..

..Currently have the Pulsar 180 and Suzuki GS150 in mind after going through the various threads.. Need your valuable advice...
Hi there!

I have started some work on similar lines.

Please read through here, for my perspectives:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...cycle-75k.html

I am getting another TD this week too.
will update on the next opportunity.

Keep us updated!

care,

Ace.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:57   #11
BHPian

I second to Parimal_g. I personally own a apache rtr180 and it gives me between 40 to 45kmpl in city depending upon how i ride it and traffic conditions. Even in ladakh i got a FE of nearly 43 kmpl.
For 50+ fuel efficiency I dont think bikes like Pulsar 180 or GS150 can manage consistently.
Better go for Unicorn or second Apache 160. Vibrations are not a big headache as people claim it to be. I would prefer a Apache as its easy to flick,superb handling,reliable,cheap parts and the most imp it has a very good pickup when you really want it.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:05   #12
BHPian

Though many people advised a Unicorn, I have heard that it is has an insane 8-12 months waiting periods all over Mumbai and Thane. So, if you can't wait so long or don't want to pay a premium, I suggest you skip it (or get a 2nd hand one).

Another month later (when I will turn 18), I would be looking at similar bikes, but I guess I will mostly go for Apache 180 ABS.
Old 14th May 2011, 09:47   #13

As per your requirement you should consider Yamaha SZ-R with front Disc brakes.

In my opinion for long drives like 70KM per day comfort is the most important factor - in this yamaha fares the best.

For driving in traffic the clutch needs to soft otherwise your left hand and fingers will start paining in the heavy WE traffic.

Right Now I have Suzuki GS150R - pros and cons are as follows

Pros -
Smooth Engine - ( Very important ) Vibe free even above 90.

Handling on straight stretch okay - If you want to whack it in traffic a big No , as this is a big beast of kerb weight more that 150KG.

Gives 55+FE if driven below the 4500RPM.

Cons
Very poor After Sales service. Service center guys hardly do any service except cleaning the bike.( I go to Panvel Service Center )

Braking - Really Bad , the rear brake on a new bike seems like a 2 years old worn out brake.

Saddle Height - For short people this bike is not recommended.

Silencer noise - After the bike gets hot, after driving for sometime, the silencer starts giving out squeaking noise during halts, this is the noise generated from the cooling of the hot silencer body, but it is very annoying.

Head light - very poor compared to other bikes.

Suspension - Is very hard considering the average weight of Indians. In your case as you will be solo riding most of the time , the suspension will be a big issue for you.

I test driven all the HH bikes , I found the gear shifting a bit hard compared to other bikes.

Before deciding on the bike surely check the clutch hardness, I have commuted heavily in mumbai traffic , so clutch will play a very important role for you.
Old 14th May 2011, 14:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think you need to look at the GS150R. Been riding this bike for nearly year and I have a smile on my face every time I ride it. It has one of the most refined engines in its class and there is enough power, torque to take the bike all the away up to 115Kmph (the max I have ridden).

The mid range torque is very good and there is enough juice in the gears to help you with the acceleration. FE of 50 can be achieved if the 6th gear is used judiciously and if you keep a check on the speed.
The rear brakes are not that effective but the front discs do the job with minimum fuss. The rear doesn't provide adequate feed back but does slow down the bike when applied.

The suspension is very good and I have left it at factory setting and it is serving me good. I drive it fast and the bike is definitely flickable. The bike masks its weight in a effective way and the weight provides stability to the bike.

The service is good but they took two days to service it last time. They are courteous enough and attend to the highlighted issues promptly.

Do a test ride of the bike before you take a decision. I only went for this bike because of Unicorn's waiting period and not a single regret to this day.

Hope you select one that suits your needs.
Old 14th May 2011, 14:21   #15

Less vibration,good seating and also fuel efficiency will make the Unicorn your best bet.
The HH Hunk, CBZ Extreme, Honda Dazzler are all similar to an extent,
The GS150 would also make a option,
Regards and happy revving,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks