Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 19:15   #1
BHPian

Rearview Mirror adjustment on New Activa Dlx

Does anyone know how to adjust the rearview mirror on the new Activas? Stupid bikers kept knocking the rearview mirror around in the parking lots and now the mirror has become very loose. Tightening the mirror only lets me see who is riding alongside me and not what is behind me.

The older Activas had these lock nuts and I have tightened mirrors using them. however the newer ones seems to have a new mechanism. So if you are thinking about opposing lock nuts, then please spare the idea and try to think of something different.

So the new ones have a long cylindrical nut that has an opposing thread compared to the mirror. Basically both the mirror and the cylinder just screw independent of each other and I don't know how to adjust the now skewed mirror.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. I've tried a lot of online Activa manuals (29th and 31st page) and they all talk about the lock nut and not about the new mechanism.
Old 17th May 2011, 20:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rearview Mirror adjustment on New Activa Dlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Does anyone know how to adjust the rearview mirror on the new Activas? Stupid bikers kept knocking the rearview mirror around in the parking lots and now the mirror has become very loose. Tightening the mirror only lets me see who is riding alongside me and not what is behind me.

The older Activas had these lock nuts and I have tightened mirrors using them. however the newer ones seems to have a new mechanism. So if you are thinking about opposing lock nuts, then please spare the idea and try to think of something different.

So the new ones have a long cylindrical nut that has an opposing thread compared to the mirror. Basically both the mirror and the cylinder just screw independent of each other and I don't know how to adjust the now skewed mirror.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. I've tried a lot of online Activa manuals (29th and 31st page) and they all talk about the lock nut and not about the new mechanism.
I am surprised to hear about the new mechanism for RVM's. Can you kindly post of pic of the same if possible. I have an Activa which is an year old and it has the old locknut tightening mechanism.

BTW is the long cylindrical nut not held to the body of the Activa? Best would be to take it to the workshop and get to know about the mechanism.

Edit: This post ideally should have been in the Gearless scooter thread.
Old 17th May 2011, 21:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post

@herculesksp: I'm facing the same problem as well. No matter how many times I get it fixed, it gets loose again. I guess it could be due to a faulty design. Which model year is your Activa??
Old 17th May 2011, 22:40   #4
BHPian

@ghodlur: I thought that thread was for general talks about gearless scooters and not about such technical/mechanical issues. Yup, planning to take it to a workshop, the next possible opportunity. I'll take a pic in the morning and post it. The long nut goes into the fairing and screws on somewhere on the handlebar.

@Turbojc: Mine is a Jan 2011 model.

Old 18th May 2011, 11:52   #5
BHPian

Yup, I have faced this problem too. Both the rear view mirrors were very loose and I thought it was and easy DIY. But try as I might, could not tighten them and removed them. Next step, took them to the service center and got them fixed. Felt embarrassed to go to the service center for such a small thing and now I find that I am not the only one facing the problem.
Old 18th May 2011, 19:19   #6
BHPian

Went to the workshop and got to realize that it indeed a locknut mechanism. However the locknut is attached quite tightly to the mirror stalk hence it behaves as a single nut.

@Avinash_R:
In order to work it, turn the mirror around so that it loosens and rotates freely. Then hold the mirror stalk tight, and loosen the black coloured nut at the end of the stalk. Try rotating the nut in both directions and it will give way in one of the directions.

There you have it. Now rotate the mirror so that it is fixed tightly, then loosen it till it is facing correctly. The mirror will be loose now. Now hold the mirror in position and rotate the lock nut in a direction that it screws on tightly. The mirror will be fixed in place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks