Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jay leno on a Royal Enfield Classic

Quote:
Jay Leno, as most of you motoring enthusiasts would know, is one of the biggest motoring enthusiasts alive. ‘The Tonight Show’ host has one of the largest and most enviable collections of cars and bikes in the world, and is known the world over for his interest and knowledge in automobiles.
Leno, in one of the recent episodes of his online magazine show ‘Jay Leno’s Garage’ featured the RE Classic (old). He invited Royal Enfield USA President Kevin Mahoney for a discussion about the Classic and C5 models.
Here’s the complete video – a treat for all you RE fans
There is a video of the same.
Royal Enfield Classic gets featured on Jay Leno

Guess he would have to visit this forum to get things sorted out if any and the best comment he did was the Bullet is so silent he would get a bigger muffler

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2011 at 14:38. Reason: No more than 2 smilies per post please
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:24   #2
BHPian

re: Jay leno on a Royal Enfield Classic

Saw this a few days back. The G5 is a looker. Feels good that he is appreciating RE amongst all the other big names in his garage.
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:42   #3
BHPian

He also compared the Bullet to a scooter. Sacrilege!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 22nd May 2011 at 23:46.
Old 23rd May 2011, 02:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
He also compared the Bullet to a scooter. Sacrilege!!!
That had me laughing!!! He would have to live with one to give the best comments
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

My Boss showed me this Vid the other day as i own a TBTS , he didnt seem too knowledgeable as was repeating the same things towards the end of the video IMO
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

True... He kept on repeating things like low maintenance, no vibrations, good gas mileage, better than scooter with proper motorcycle looks etc!

Anyways, nice to see that them mentioning that the quality is good!
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
he didnt seem too knowledgeable as was repeating the same things towards the end of the video IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True... He kept on repeating things like low maintenance, no vibrations, good gas mileage, better than scooter with proper motorcycle looks etc!

Anyways, nice to see that them mentioning that the quality is good!
Well this i guess was the mistake by the RE USA prez. He should have just led him to the couple of user groups on the internet for Jay leno to get an idea. Any publicity is good publicity and its upto the company to improve the image.

Loved Jay's statement that in 2 years the silencer would be 2 mts behind the bike

By the way the Retro motorcycles are catching up big time. So guess RE has a good market here
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
My Boss showed me this Vid the other day as i own a TBTS , he didnt seem too knowledgeable as was repeating the same things towards the end of the video IMO

Dude, Jay Leno is the man when it comes to automobiles, especially vintage ones. Ever checked out his garage. He owns more than 200 vehicles, including legends like Vincent Black Shadow in crisp condition.
Jay Leno's Garage
He even gives advice on restoration and stuff.
Old 27th May 2011, 01:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jay leno on a Royal Enfield Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Dude, Jay Leno is the man when it comes to automobiles, especially vintage ones. Ever checked out his garage. He owns more than 200 vehicles, including legends like Vincent Black Shadow in crisp condition.
Jay Leno's Garage
He even gives advice on restoration and stuff.
I know that dude and that's the reason i specifically mentioned that IN the end of the video he kept repeating the same sentences again and again which made me feel that way.

It's very obvious that i'm just a molecule in front of a guy who owns/has restored vintage vehicles.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
4 Strokers 350CC for Yankees is puny & considered to be fit for only Scooters. Not trying to offend anyone but that's a way of life.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 09:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
4 Strokers 350CC for Yankees is puny & considered to be fit for only Scooters. Not trying to offend anyone but that's a way of life.
True. In USA, even for cars, anything below 200hp is not really considered to be powerful. My 225hp car was considered just average. People start getting excited only 250+ onwards.

That said, I wonder how hands-on is Jay Leno. He certainly has the money, and also an army of mechanics to maintain his cars. But does he do anything personally on his cars other than driving them?
Old 12th June 2011, 10:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That said, I wonder how hands-on is Jay Leno. He certainly has the money, and also an army of mechanics to maintain his cars. But does he do anything personally on his cars other than driving them?
Not quite sure on the motive of his collection, its a mixed bag where he has some good vintages to the modern car. Seen him on a few serials does know what he is talking basically.
Old 15th November 2011, 00:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Folks,
While I agree, I have myself seen atleast 2 RE bullets in NYC. So there are a few people who own it for either its vintage or variety

Besides from what I know the export models are the 500cc ones.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:44   #14
BANNED

Just finished looking at the video and needless to say he is quite impressed with the bike.

But I am surprised that he didn't see any vibration at 70mph, that's nearly 115kmph. The c5 I test rode vibrated crazy at 110kmph, are these export bikes manufactured to different specs? are we getting shortchanged by RE here?
Old 16th November 2011, 05:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Jay is riding the California model of the G5 Deluxe which is the same as my RE.

The G model has slightly slower steering than the C models. Many of the U.S. imported C models have been a bit "twitchy" at these high speeds but the G's are very stable.

From the research I've done I've found that the only differences between the U.S. models and the ones sold in India is the computer, the O2 sensor, the headlight and, in the case of the California model there is different gas cap (screws on and seals tightly) and a charcoal canister that the fuel tank vents thru.

As for vibration above 65 mph (105 kmph) mine has quite a bit. Enough that I usually try to keep it slightly slower than that.

As for Jay Leno, he owns many old motorcycles and he has ridden enough of them to know that vibration is to be expected on a big single like the RE.
In other words, I am sure he expected it and would have been more likely to comment if it had no vibration.

As we all know, it is the nature of the beast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks