Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Karizma engine stalls

I own a Karizma bike it is 7 months old, after the first service the bike has developed a strange problem, the engine stalls midway on the road. I reported this problem after my first service, then again during second service. The problem did not surface after the 2nd service for about 2000 km's but now it has resurfaced again. I have observed that before the engine shuts down there is a jerk and the bike hardly has any power in it during this and then stalls completely. Because of this issue, I really think twice before overtaking any vehicle on road. I took the bike to a mechanic whom i know very well, he checked all the mechanical parts and said everything is Ok, then he checked for any electrical problem that could be but could not identify any such thing. If you know any good mechanic please advise. I have lost my faith with HH service center.
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karizma engine stalls

I also own a Karizma and was having similar problem of engine stalling. My problem was solved by correcting AFR mixture setting and idle speed setting. So just check if idle RPM is not too low and get AFR checked after inspecting spark plug color.

PS - Does this happens while changing gears?
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:39   #3
BANNED

I am guessing this happens from moving a gear up at no throttle.

Get your carb tned and manifold checked for any air leakage. Sounds like there is a air leak somewhere.

Should not be anything major.
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

The problem usually pops up when I start the bike, I feel this jerk for 2 or 3 kms later it eases out but sometime it happens very consistently during a ride. I have not able to identify any pattern for this problem
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

well, this used to happen to my New Hunk. The issue is the engine being too cold. So it tends to stall. Can be solved by turning up the idling rpm(is a DIY). If this happens only during the first few kms of the day, this is the cause, if not muse be something else, which quite frankly, I don't know. but being from your part of the woods, I can guess that the issue is a cold engine.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

You could start with having the spark plug cleaned/replaced. Then check the carburettor.

Is the engine idling stable?

I had this problem with my CBZ during each monsoon in Maniapl. (The rains were crazy and the bike was parked on open ground). A simple clean/replace spark plug solved the problem almost always.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:41   #7
BHPian

Do get the Carburettor Jet cleaned ( or changed ), may be it is choked causing the bike to stall.

Last edited by prguru : 23rd May 2011 at 22:43.
Old 24th May 2011, 13:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am guessing this happens from moving a gear up at no throttle.

Get your carb tned and manifold checked for any air leakage. Sounds like there is a air leak somewhere.

Should not be anything major.
+1 to that, I had the same problem too in my Karizma. Manifold connecting from carburettor to air filter was not fitted properly and had a lot of air leaks because of which bike choked when ever the throttle was raised.

Check for any possible air leaks which might fix the issue.
Old 24th May 2011, 13:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I own a Karizma bike it is 7 months old, after the first service the bike has developed a strange problem, the engine stalls midway on the road. I reported this problem after my first service, then again during second service. The problem did not surface after the 2nd service for about 2000 km's but now it has resurfaced again. I have observed that before the engine shuts down there is a jerk and the bike hardly has any power in it during this and then stalls completely. Because of this issue, I really think twice before overtaking any vehicle on road. I took the bike to a mechanic whom i know very well, he checked all the mechanical parts and said everything is Ok, then he checked for any electrical problem that could be but could not identify any such thing. If you know any good mechanic please advise. I have lost my faith with HH service center.

Does opening the tank cap and closing it back again sort out the issue? the tank cap has a breather hole, make sure it is not clogged with dirt.
Old 24th May 2011, 13:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
Does opening the tank cap and closing it back again sort out the issue? the tank cap has a breather hole, make sure it is not clogged with dirt.
+1

Karizma has the 'Air-lock' issue especially when it's new (I don't know the reason though). Just open the tank lid whenever it stalls and things should be fine.

Also getting the bike tuned properly and the carb cleaned will do no harm!
Old 24th May 2011, 16:31   #11
BANNED

^+1 before doing any other thing just make sure the fuel flow is happening, my friend suffered a lot after buying Kari also he played with idle controller screw to slow down the RPM to 1000 which should be 1400+-100 when engine is warmed up.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post

Hey Deehunk,

Do not be disheartened, Karizma is a great bike - i have had it for 8 years. The culprit is your air- filter , plz check it , i assume it must have got damp/wet during a wash.

please keep us updated

Cheers !

Last edited by ryan_wheelz : 24th May 2011 at 16:47.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

The bike was rectified by a roadside mechanic, the problem was with the valves took the risk of voiding warranty he opened up the cylinder and showed me the actual cause. The engine had developed vibrations and I was very scared. I must admire him because very quickly he noticed the problem, also my bike was very kind to let him notice the problem. It was running fine from then till last week until I did this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2524197

Will keep the updates on the above link
Old 29th March 2013, 14:04   #14
BHPian

Problem with my FZ-16 stalling at low speeds

Hey guys, my Yamaha FZ-16 is about 5 years old now. I haven't been using it much over the last year and a half. I'd noticed that while shifting down at around the 20-30 kms per hour mark, the bike would choke. The engine sound would disappear and I would get the feeling the bike has turned off. Just as I began wobbling and revving the accelerator again and again, the bike would slowly sputter back to life and I would realize it was never switched off. Or it jump started on it's own while slowing down due to me holding the clutch and revving the accelerator.

The local mechanic said cleaning the air filter would solve the problem. However after a few days the problem re-appeared. It doesn't happen constantly but it takes place at least a couple of times in a 8-10 km ride.

When I checked with the Yamaha showroom people if I should get the air filter replaced, I think they told me the air filter wasn't the problem. And now as I'm going to use the bike regularly again, I need to figure out the problem.

What are your initial reactions? Air Filter, Carburetor, Spark Plug - what could be causing all the grief?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks