Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2011, 01:57   #46
BHPian

re: Spy Pics: Yamaha R15 REFRESH EDIT: Version 2.0 launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Agree. But atleast some part of the kit can be used in the upgrade for eg: the ECU remapping. And are there any such legalities in India for horses? Had it been illegal how would they ever offer it officially? And I still remember the news from Yamaha when they said "Now we have a new Fastest Indian".
ECU remapping may violate pollutions norms.

Yes, AFAIK there are legal limits for bhp/cc in India as well.

The performance kits were street illegal and were meant for track use only. Same was specially mentioned by Yamaha in their every advertisement/website.
Old 29th May 2011, 09:00   #47
Team-BHP Support

Ot

Forget Ninja 250-R, the Joel's modded R15 in race spec laps MMST faster than a 1000cc Super Bike (in street trim with road tires in the hands of a pro racer). (Check ACI's Sep '11 issue for proof & MMST web-site for Sarath's times.)

On streets, where reliability is a concern, the normal kits by Joel are good enough to have most objects in your RVM.

In short except brakes (there are better & cheaper options too if you scout) and may be sprockets, Joel's kit beats Daytona hollow and for no reason Joel is a Race Engineer at the coveted Moto GP (in the 125 class)

Not promoting Joel or his brand, haven't used his products too, but have seen them in motion and they are F-A-S-T
Old 29th May 2011, 10:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
We should show him videos of Joel own R15, that would be enough for proving there are people out there who are into real mods to remove real power from the R15.
Sam that bike can anyday take on a Ninja let alone a CBR. If you doubt me just check out his thread on this forum itself. From Daytona the only useful thing IMO is the front braided lines and sprockets.

Sam, the complete kit costed 50-60k and gave you a bump of barely 1-2 bhp where as Joel can really build a R15 that can produce 22 PS of power but then not many things would be street legal, so whats the use? Also just for arguments sake, the there are 150cc bikes running power close to the ninja.
Dude, Joel's workshop is 300 meters from my office and I know Joel personally! Once I had been there to discuss about my P220 mods. But then since I don't use bike much now dropped it for time being. And his thoughts are also inline with 'high lift cam' and some changes like 'increasing the rpm' range etc. Joel means business. He is a real pro!!!

Agree that people like Joel take out the 'real power' out of any engine. I never oppose that. What I said is based on the R15 which was modified in Cochin which had this Daytona kit added. That bike did have the real grunt which stock R15 missed. Only if someone does the Dyno we can be sure of the bhp increase. 50-60k for the kit ??? 30k is what I heard from him and also what I saw in a ndtv news article. Let me see if I can spot that link for you.

Abhayshanu, what here Iam trying to point out is that if Yamaha had offered the kits (and we have race engineers like Joel outside), then what is the big deal in 'Yamaha' mechanics bringing out an R15 with 22 horses? I was talking about the peoples 'surprise' part not on the feasibility part.

Ok here is the link for the power boost for the Daytona R15 (He clearly says 22bhp):

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 29th May 2011 at 11:00.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:22   #49
BHPian

There is a guy who had the Daytona kit on his R15 and then shifted to Joel. Let me get the links of his description about the difference between Daytona and Joel.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2011 at 20:34. Reason: Please avoid quotinga long post when its on same page, thanks
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 18:47   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys, when you squeeze 22 bhp out of a 150 cc engine? How long will they piston, rings & cylinder last? Race bikes are pretty much rebuilt very often. How often does the average street user want to rebuild his engine?
Old 29th May 2011, 19:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Guy's, let's hold the talks about out of factory mods, world over there are tunes who increase engine specs & yet very few companies offer them as stock.

So while it might be possible to have an R15 with 22 ps or may be more, it needs to be seen what is the impact on other aspects like price of bike as well as spares. Also how street legal it would be.

So let's wait & see what yamaha has to offer. Other than that post references of official yamaha bike specs only.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th May 2011 at 19:41.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:07   #52
BHPian

And the cynic says : 22hp ? No way ! Bold rumour, that's all.

That's the exactly the figure quoted in 2008 just months prior to the R-15 launch. I'm kinda jaded by the big bang rumours which turn out to be damp squibs practically all the time. Even when upgraded models get improved performance, it's usually incremental , like the 20 to 21PS of the P220F and the 17 to 17.8PS of the ZMA to ZMR, similarly with Pulsar 150/180 gaining 2-3 hp over the years. Can't recall any other brand of bike getting more than that in terms of power increases , leaving the Bullet C5 , which is a totally different segment.

Yamaha officials stated there is no room in that block to expand the displacement further, so if they weren't lying the, it's still an R-15 ; I don't envision a new platform either.

As for the hugger : please Yamaha, it's hideous.
I like the old (current) R-15 looks better), though this isn't bad ; will have to see it in person for final judgment.
Old 30th May 2011, 09:25   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Yamaha officials stated there is no room in that block to expand the displacement further, so if they weren't lying the, it's still an R-15 ; I don't envision a new platform either.
Yes, this what they had said and also maintained that in case they plan to bump up the power via cc & bhp routes, they would bring in an altogether new platform and not bump up the bore & stroke like others (read Bajaj )
Quote:
As for the hugger : please Yamaha, it's hideous.
I like the old (current) R-15 looks better), though this isn't bad ; will have to see it in person for final judgment.
It indeed is. I too prefer the classic looks of the R15 (WRT the photo doing the rounds)

Last edited by Sheel : 30th May 2011 at 09:27.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It indeed is. I too prefer the classic looks of the R15 (WRT the photo doing the rounds)
+100

And the most important part of the bargain is performance and handling. If they end up messing up the handling of the R15 then I'd rather buy a used R15.
But knowing Yamaha I think they must have taken care of it. I would have appreciated more if they had left the R15 untouched and rather worked on the R25 platform to take on CBR.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:55   #55
Team-BHP Support

I honestly believe that the average joe (me) should have a choice of a good 400-600cc M'cycle priced on par, if not below what is applicable Internationally.

These 50-100cc upgrades aren't what most of us are looking at.
Old 1st June 2011, 13:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Check out this video from 10 seconds on... Is that not the same bike that was posted here as an R15 upgrade? Are we getting the R4 then

Old 6th June 2011, 16:10   #57
BHPian

Hey guys, I was just browsing the net for some upcoming stuff and this is what I came across in Autocar India. New Yamahas to rev in soon | Autocar India Can some one share some light on this?

Cheerz
Old 8th June 2011, 08:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Check out this video from 10 seconds on... Is that not the same bike that was posted here as an R15 upgrade? Are we getting the R4 then
That is because its a photoshopped R6, The red seats and white panels is the latest R6 combo. (correct me if I am wrong here as I have seen one parked with that combo and looks pretty new)
R4 is not happening, I mean the one speculated(which they claim to be multi cylindered). A Fz250 single is more a possibility though from the looks of it more likely next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot View Post
Hey guys, I was just browsing the net for some upcoming stuff and this is what I came across in Autocar India. New Yamahas to rev in soon | Autocar India Can some one share some light on this?

Cheerz
Seems to be true but old news. I mean the new R15 is no longer a secret and the Fz250? well I remember reading an interview where a Yamaha official claimed that they were working on a bike to take on the Fastest Indian and beat it, a naked bike i.e. So I guess the Fz250 (now being speculated for a long time) must also be in pipeline.
Old 8th June 2011, 18:01   #59
BHPian

BS motoring buzz !!

Yamaha R15 replacement on its way!
Old 8th June 2011, 18:01   #60
BHPian

I've also heard a lot in a thread about "Sports bikes in India" that since the Kawa 650R is launched, the competitors i.e Honda, Suzuki & Yamaha will be launching their 600cc bikes in the market too. How far is that true? It's slight off topic but I just thought I'd check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks