Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 22:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Girnar 150 Leo scooter and GNAL scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
You are right. Chethaks had long waiting list and these were available across the showroom shelves.

There is a difference though. These are based on the old Vespa 150 or Bajaj 150 which were threee geared scooters where as Chethaks had 4 gears. The Girnars, Priyas and Narmadas had only 3 gears. Bajaj transferred the technology to these companies when they discontinued production of this model. The Bajaj super was a smaller (in the sense that they had smaller 3.5x8 tyres compared with the 3.5x10 of Chethaks) sibling to Chethak but with 4 gears.

Moreover Priyas were sold through Bajaj Auto dealerships.
My dad gifted me my first very much my own scooter BAJAJ 150 in march 1974. when I passed out my Automobile eng in 1974.
It had 3 gears but I was not that crazy for 4 gears in those days , it had smaller wheels, REG NO. MMA 5313.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 22:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

The girnars that I have seen were Chetak /NV 150 lookalikes, I never saw a Bajaj 150/Priya look alike girnar scooter. And these were 4 geared scooters.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
My dad gifted me my first very much my own scooter BAJAJ 150 in march 1974. when I passed out my Automobile eng in 1974.
It had 3 gears but I was not that crazy for 4 gears in those days , it had smaller wheels, REG NO. MMA 5313.
The first Bajaj with 4 gears was Chetak launced around 1979 and was initially available against foreign exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The girnars that I have seen were Chetak /NV 150 lookalikes, I never saw a Bajaj 150/Priya look alike girnar scooter. And these were 4 geared scooters.
Yes the Narmadas were tinkered with to be a chetak clone on the side panels.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th June 2011 at 22:17.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The first Bajaj with 4 gears was Chetak launced around 1979 and was initially available against foreign exchange.

Yes the Narmadas were tinkered with to be a chetak clone on the side panels.
No sir Bajaj Chetak was available before 1976 also, we got one in 1977 with one of our CHACHAJI sending F. E. from muscat.
But I have been riding Chetak in 1973 , how???
After my automobile engr I was sent to Sah &Sanghi worli workshop for training for 3 yrs in their Amby service dept.at worli.
But I opted for BAJAJ division instead after 1.5 yrs.
In those days they used to send me out for official work also and I used to ride componys Chetak (export model).which belonged to the compony.

People used to stop and ask me where will they get this scooter???? how is the ride quality?? etcetc.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 17:32   #20

I understand from a few Narmada Prince owners that the GNAL scooters have Bajaj engines and frame numbers, thus they were sourcing their parts from Bajaj.

I do believe though that the Girnar scooters were different, if one can make theories based on one picture. Who has a good picture of a Girnar Leo?

Here is for the 'little history' as we say:

Girnar Scooters was a company started by the Gujarat Small Scale Industries Corporation (GSIC). The Company likely went into production in 1978. Unfortunately, by 1982 the company suffered heavy losses. The government of Gujarat tried various methods to revive the company. It also had prolonged negotiations with Bajaj Auto Ltd. to see whether the scooters could be handed over to Bajaj. Unfortunately, these negotiations also failed.

Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd. (GNAL): In 1986 Girnar Scooters became a subsidiary of fertilizir company 'Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers Co. Ltd.' (GNFC). Its name was changed to Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd.(GNAL) and a new factory ground was set up at Valia, Bharuch district. The 600 workers of Girnar Scooters were shifted to the new location and thus saved from unemployment. The 28000 sq/m factory was built in Valia in 144 days, and finalised on the first of May 1986. By 1987 GNAL manufactured 30,301 scooters. Around 1987, GNAL signed an agreement with Yeu Tyan Machinery Manufactering Co, Taiwan for acquiring new technology for a 150 cc engine. A prototype for a threewheeler designed by the R and D department has been assembled and the design thereof has been sent for registration. GNAL closed shop in 1992-1993.

Standard Combines Pvt. Ltd. (Combine Division): In 2005 (?) Barnala-based Standard Combines (P) Ltd acquired Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd for producing scooters. The production of scooters was scheduled to start in June 2005. (NB: A scooter prototype was shown on the Standard Combines website.)

d4v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 20:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Interesting Information, thanks for sharing.

While I can recognise the red scooter, the tail lamp looks like the one from Vijay Super.

The scooter in last pic looks similar to the Bajaj Stride
Old 16th June 2011, 20:36   #22

Quote:
The scooter in last pic looks similar to the Bajaj Stride
True, it looks like the Bajaj Stride and also like the PGO Creator (a former Vespa licensee in Taiwan which supposedly had some sort of relation to GNAL.)

A photo can also be found on
Classic Scooter Supplier, Exporter New Delhi, India

PGO Creator:

Bajaj Stride:

Sandard 'Classic' Scooter prototype

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th June 2011 at 20:41. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 23:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While I can recognise the red scooter, the tail lamp looks like the one from Vijay Super.
I guess you mean Lamby 150. The vijai's tail-lamp is totally different.

As for this one, it may have been a common part on this scoot, or a mere alteration.
Old 17th June 2011, 00:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

I stand corrected, its like Lamby, but Vijai's tail lamp was also rectangular in shape & that's why I got confused.
Old 1st December 2011, 03:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
I understand from a few Narmada Prince owners that the GNAL scooters have Bajaj engines and frame numbers, thus they were sourcing their parts from Bajaj.
Well, I happen to own a Narmada Prince (probably the only one in Austria). The frames from GMAL are quite different from the ones Bajaj produced, so I doubt Bajaj as a source for those. The main differences are: The GNAL - frame is flat, where the license plate rests, like Vespa VLB - frames, but unlike any frame I know from Bajaj. Secondly the cascade seems to be welded to the frame like Vespa VBB/Bajaj Prija.

Do you happen to know someone who owns one? I am looking for specifications for the scoot to get it street legal in Austria. PM would be highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd. (GNAL): In 1986 Girnar Scooters became a subsidiary of fertilizir company 'Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers Co. Ltd.' (GNFC). Its name was changed to Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd.(GNAL) and a new factory ground was set up at Valia, Bharuch district. The 600 workers of Girnar Scooters were shifted to the new location and thus saved from unemployment. The 28000 sq/m factory was built in Valia in 144 days, and finalised on the first of May 1986. By 1987 GNAL manufactured 30,301 scooters. Around 1987, GNAL signed an agreement with Yeu Tyan Machinery Manufactering Co, Taiwan for acquiring new technology for a 150 cc engine. A prototype for a threewheeler designed by the R and D department has been assembled and the design thereof has been sent for registration. GNAL closed shop in 1992-1993.
Where did you get across that information? I am allways on the lookout for Vespa - derivatives and information like that on other makes would be great. Do you know how many scooters were produced by GNAL in total?

Great topic anyway ...
Old 14th June 2016, 22:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

I regularly keep seeing this Narmada 150. One of these days, I need to get some better pics.

Girnar 150 Leo scooter and GNAL scooters-screen-shot-20160614-8.51.44-pm1.jpg

Girnar 150 Leo scooter and GNAL scooters-screen-shot-20160614-8.50.33-pm1.jpg

Girnar 150 Leo scooter and GNAL scooters-screen-shot-20160614-8.51.48-pm1.jpg

Girnar 150 Leo scooter and GNAL scooters-screen-shot-20160614-8.50.11-pm1.jpg

Girnar 150 Leo scooter and GNAL scooters-picsart_061410.07.06.jpg
schakravarthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 03:38   #27

Meanwhile I found quite some information on the Narmada Prince and Narmada Fuji models, but the Narmada Venus is still a mystery.

Concerning the Girnar Leo, on the facebook page of an Indian Scooter Club I found one photo of a Girnar Leo parked somewhere in Goa. It has the distinct 'G' (from Girnar) logo on the nose. It also seems there were two scooters or iterations with the Girnar Leo name.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks