Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2011, 03:09   #1
BHPian

Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter

Hey guys! I'm in the process of modding my Activa, and I just fit the newly launched Cosworth Performance air filter as the first step. I thought I'd start this thread as I couldn't find any relating to the same.

It all started when I saw the ad for Cosworth performance parts in an issue. I was shocked to see that they offered a Performance air filter for Indian bikes!! I mean, Cosworth is usually synonymous with wildly modded Fords and Formula One cars, and here they were, offering a way to squeeze some extra horsepower from my humble little Activa!! Immediately, I called their helpline, and they directed me to a dealer in Bangalore (no dealers in Chennai yet). I placed an order with them, and two days later, it arrived.

Before explaining more about the air filter, I'll tell you why I chose Cosworth:

- Brand name: Obviously, being a petrolhead, I really liked the idea of getting a performance part from an official supplier for Formula One!!

- Performance: Being Cosworth, I was assured that I'd get a quality product that would perform well.

- Exclusivity: K&N filters were getting too common !!

When I first opened the package, I was really impressed by the filter's build quality. It was so beautiful that my mom told me that I could rather place it in my showcase instead !! Installing the part was very easy. It fits properly inside the airbox. It comes with a screw-tightened ring so that it can be fastened to the rubber air inlet. After ensuring a secure fit, I put everything back together and went for a little ride. My little Activa had changed forever.

- Overall acceleration has improved quite a bit. That torque hole between 15kph to 45kph was finally plugged. Doing 85 is no longer a tedious affair. Yet to test top whack though.

- Overtaking has become a lot easier.

- The engine feels smoother at low speeds.

- Though the induction noise is a little louder than usual, the sound feels near stock. This is because the filter was placed in the airbox.

Overall, I was very pleased with the outcome. I don't know if the power output has increased, but my Activa's rideability has improved. I'd like to get some suggestions and tips on further modifying the Activa to supplement the filter. Time for some pics!!
Attached Thumbnails
Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter-dsc_0136.jpg  

Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter-dsc_0137.jpg  

Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter-dsc_0155.jpg  

Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter-dsc_0158.jpg  

Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter-dsc_0161.jpg  

Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter-dsc_0166.jpg  

Last edited by Turbojc : 12th June 2011 at 03:20.
Turbojc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 19:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter

Surprise and surprised! Man I never thought somebody would do that to an Activa. Many congrats Turbojc. And your Mom is quite right. That stuff sure looks good on the display unit!

The Activa is a Samurai kind of. The silent warrior. It doesn't shout in the face and is yet lethal on our roads with its cool acceleration and practicality. And boy you have given us some food for thought.

Cherio
Champion
Old 12th June 2011, 23:35   #3
BHPian

How much did it cost? And any drop/increase in mileage?
Old 13th June 2011, 00:13   #4
BHPian

Great, but why on an Activa ?
Old 13th June 2011, 00:42   #5
BHPian

Wow it surely looks good. How about fiddling with the Carb? Dont let the engine run too lean.

All the best for future modifications.

MaSh
Old 13th June 2011, 23:20   #6
BHPian

Hey guys! Thanks to all for your replies! I did a little test run on the highway recently, and I noted that the top speed hasn't changed. Still tops out at 95kmph on the speedo. Nothing that a free-flow exhaust can't cure !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
The Activa is a Samurai kind of. The silent warrior. It doesn't shout in the face and is yet lethal on our roads with its cool acceleration and practicality. And boy you have given us some food for thought.

Cherio
Champion
+1 to that ! Now its got some extra kick to go with its practicality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
How much did it cost? And any drop/increase in mileage?
It costs Rs1500. And yeah, mileage did take a little drubbing. I used to get around 35 - 40 odd kmpl before the mod, but now it is not giving anything more than 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Great, but why on an Activa ?
My dad wouldn't let me touch the car !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Wow it surely looks good. How about fiddling with the Carb? Dont let the engine run too lean.
MaSh
I'm yet to mess around with the carb. Should be doing that this week.

Guys, I need some suggestions on what I should do next. Would re-jetting the carb help? And how about fitting an Iridium spark plug?

Last edited by Turbojc : 13th June 2011 at 23:24.
Old 14th June 2011, 00:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Hey guys! Thanks to all for your replies! I did a little test run on the highway recently, and I noted that the top speed hasn't changed. Still tops out at 95kmph on the speedo. Nothing that a free-flow exhaust can't cure !

It costs Rs1500. And yeah, mileage did take a little drubbing. I used to get around 35 - 40 odd kmpl before the mod, but now it is not giving anything more than 35.

Guys, I need some suggestions on what I should do next. Would re-jetting the carb help? And how about fitting an Iridium spark plug?
Top speed wont change with a filter.
and usually with these filters AF ratio gets lean and engine starts heating up.
Find out what size jets,does it run on,may be you can add a bigger jet,and gain a wee bit more power.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 10:45   #8
BHPian

As you have mounted the filter inside the original air box, performance is hindered as the box is closed.

Remove the original air box and mount the filter directly to the carb. By doing so, there will be a significant improvement in throttle response and engine decibels too will be racy.

Quote:

AmarPaithankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 21:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Top speed wont change with a filter.
and usually with these filters AF ratio gets lean and engine starts heating up.
Find out what size jets,does it run on,may be you can add a bigger jet,and gain a wee bit more power.
Upsizing the jets is on the cards, but I'm hesitating as I have to use it on a daily basis and the mileage might drop considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
As you have mounted the filter inside the original air box, performance is hindered as the box is closed.

Remove the original air box and mount the filter directly to the carb. By doing so, there will be a significant improvement in throttle response and engine decibels too will be racy.
Yeah, I'm considering it. The sound was really nice without the airbox cover, but Cosworth recommends installing the filter inside the airbox. And since it is raining a bit here, I thought it would be a wise idea to leave the airbox closed for the moment.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I'm considering it. The sound was really nice without the airbox cover, but Cosworth recommends installing the filter inside the airbox. And since it is raining a bit here, I thought it would be a wise idea to leave the airbox closed for the moment.
@Turbojc,

Thats a good modification you have done, was it a DIY or you got it done at a workshop. Can you elaborate on how the rideability has improved?

I will keep an eye on this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks