Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 20:36   #1
BHPian

Yamaha Gladiator - sound from front suspension

Few days back I was riding my gladiator in a very busy road and being sun at the top (it was afternoon) I was in a hurry to reach home. At two or three places I braked hard and I think I used front Disc more (front wheel locked and front dived in). The problem is when I braked I heard a "chit" type sound. This was the first time I heard the sound. Now after this incident though bike is running fine, I hear a new "kit" sound while going over bad roads randomly i.e., not every time but only sometimes. Is it safe to drive the bike as my exams are going on and I am not getting time to go to Yamaha service center.
Old 17th June 2011, 21:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Gladiator - sound from front suspension

Ya, its safe. Guys at the service center will tighten a big round nut just below your handle-bar and the sound will be gone.

It started the same way in my FZ too. The sad part is that it goes away only temporarily and returns after 10-15 days and keeps increasing.

I have to get it fixed at every service. Please do tell, if you find a permanent solution.
SilkDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 21:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

The suspension on your bike is on its way to go bad, these are early signs hence no need to worry. It may last quiet long in this condition. Do get it checked when you get time.
Old 17th June 2011, 22:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post

It started the same way in my FZ too. The sad part is that it goes away only temporarily and returns after 10-15 days and keeps increasing.

When this happened I thought if I had FZ then this would not have happened as FZ has got really thick front suspension but

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
It may last quiet long in this condition.
Great!!
Old 17th June 2011, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked for oil leakage from the front suspension.
My 2006 Gladiator had this issue of oil leaking and had to redo it almost thrice when it got permanetly solved. It's been around 2.5-3 yrs now and no more issues of oil leakage.

Check for oil leakage. If there's no evidence for it, then probably you could just get the rubber seal and nuts checked. Also, is the disc brake oil near the front brake lever is at optimum level?
Old 18th June 2011, 00:21   #6
BHPian

No leaks! The front left suspension had oil leak problem and it was fixed twice at service center and it has been fine for a while now. Disc brake oil was changed by myself and the brakes are so good they that I think they almost broke my suspension

Hey Fordmanchau mine is also 2006 model Gladiator, I think those batches had poor suspensions fitted
Old 20th June 2011, 11:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha Gladiator - sound from front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Disc brake oil was changed by myself and the brakes are so good they that I think they almost broke my suspension
Hey Fordmanchau mine is also 2006 model Gladiator, I think those batches had poor suspensions fitted
Hashim, can you tell me the grade of oil for the Front disc brake and also the details like how much it costs and how much has to be filled.
I am a complete noob. I need to refill the disc brake oil and have been too lazy to take the bike to service centre.
Old 20th June 2011, 18:36   #8
BHPian

The brake oil I used was TVS-Girling DOT-3. MRP printed on it is rs.60 for 250ml pack but I am sure I got it for less, maybe 45 or 50 rs. I keep this to top up brake oil of my car. One fine day I saw that the bike disc brake oil was also DOT-3 and it was never changed since I bought the bike so here is what I did:

1.Loosen the nut near the disc caliper (it has a plastic cap) so that all the old oil flows out
2. Push the brake level couple of times and more leftover oil was coming out.
3. When no oil was left in brake I tighten the nut and opened the box (near the lever above right handlebar which has brake oil info engraved on it too) and poured the brake oil.

Now when the box is full what you need to do is keep a clean container below the drain nut and loosen the nut. Let the new oil drip below until it flow with constant pressure. Tighten the nut and pour more oil. Push brake lever and again loosen nut, repeat this until you are sure there is no air trapped in the brake oil pipe.
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 19:03   #9
BHPian

I think this is just the front forks that needs to be tightened.

SilkDrive rightly said "big round nut just below your handle-bar". Common problem with Yamaha's.

Most Viewed