Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fixing Engine Kill Switch

The title says it all. I've noticed that on ALL Hero Honda Bikes, inclusive of the ZM-R, they lack an engine kill switch and makes it slightly inconvenient to switch off the bike immediately. I know it sounds very draggy, but those with an engine Kill Switch on their machines and have ridden a bike without one will know how much more easier it is to just flip a switch and switch off the bike rather than turn the ignition all the time. So I was wondering if it is indeed possible to add an engine kill switch to the Hero Honda Hunk and if anyone knew someone who could do it. Because the mechanic I go to said there's lots of work involved and it may end up screwing up the bike's electricals. Not too sure of it, so wanted to get a larger opinions from the biking community on T-BHP.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fixing Engine Kill Switch on Hunk 2011

Well, opinions, ideas anybody? I'm sure somebody's thought of this! ZM-R owners, speak up!
Old 24th June 2011, 13:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

alright it can be done but you would need a few things and a veteran mechanic/electrician for this job.

first off, i would suggest you decide if you are okay with a custom switch fixed on the existing plastic casing of the accelerator or you can look for alternatives like the honda cb twister's entire case assembly with the switch.

in the process it might be necessary to even change the handlebar, the accelerator grip assembly if necessary.

then, modifications to the bike's wiring harness would be necessary but one would need the blue prints of the same and a guy with knowledge and expertise to carry out the job.

also make sure the guy does not cut slice wires, if it is absolutely necessary to do so, then have him clip the joints with a metal clips to hold tight.you would'nt want lose wire joints being held with just the insulation tape alone.

give me a couple of days let me check with my mechanic here and get more detailed info on the same. this info is as far as my knowledge goes. hope it helps.

Last edited by rider60 : 24th June 2011 at 13:42.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
alright it can be done but you would need a few things and a veteran mechanic/electrician for this job.

first off, i would suggest you decide if you are okay with a custom switch fixed on the existing plastic casing of the accelerator or you can look for alternatives like the honda cb twister's entire case assembly with the switch.

in the process it might be necessary to even change the handlebar, the accelerator grip assembly if necessary.

then, modifications to the bike's wiring harness would be necessary but one would need the blue prints of the same and a guy with knowledge and expertise to carry out the job.

also make sure the guy does not cut slice wires, if it is absolutely necessary to do so, then have him clip the joints with a metal clips to hold tight.you would'nt want lose wire joints being held with just the insulation tape alone.

give me a couple of days let me check with my mechanic here and get more detailed info on the same. this info is as far as my knowledge goes. hope it helps.
That's good for a start. I'm ok with a slight alteration to the existing acc. assembly. And I'll only be giving the bike to someone I trust with my life! I don't want to be stranded due to electrical failure sometime when I'm far away from Bangalore on one of my long rides. And thanks for helping me out, really appreciate it. Just let me know of things I ought to take care of and a procedure if possible so that I can overlook the proceedings as and when they're happening. And yeah, the cost involved. Many thanks rider60!
Old 12th August 2011, 15:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Any hits? from what I heard, the microprocessor ignition will cause problems in setting up the engine kill switch.
Old 31st December 2011, 19:30   #6
BHPian

Engine kill switch for Unicorn. How?

Hi guys,

Looking out if we can place a engine kill switch in Unicorn as in Pulsar. Is it possible/easy. Any reliable mechanics in Bangalore who does this job?

thanks,
Ramki
Old 1st January 2012, 20:37   #7
BHPian

Re: Engine kill switch for Unicorn. How?

Simple.
1.Buy the engine kill switch assembly of a Pulsar
2.Rewire the line to the ignition switch so that it reaches the ignition switch through the terminals of the engine kill switch
Old 2nd January 2012, 01:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine kill switch for Unicorn. How?

I was actually looking for something similar for the Hunk. These Honda products not having an Engine Kill Switch almost makes the bike feel sub-standard. :P

Most Viewed