Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Engine Oil for an Enfield

I have seen some body say that "AN ENFIELD DOESN'T LEAK IT MARKS ITS TERRITORY " well it is true and that brings me up on to my query.

I have been using the Motul grade engine oil for my bike from a long time until recently a friend of mine suggested if Synthetic oil could be used for enfield,
Particularly the MOBIL1's 0W-40 grade.
Attached Images

Old 24th June 2011, 14:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

A very learned man told me that "Ghode ko ghas khilate hain Biryani nahi" and this man is a known name in Bullet community. i had same query to him.
Old 25th June 2011, 00:05   #3
BHPian

I shifted to Mobil nearly three months ago. Now my 78 Bull's engine doesn't heat up while riding through neck-to-neck traffic. Strange noises have also stopped eminating from the engine. But it is expensive!!!
Old 25th June 2011, 09:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
A very learned man told me that "Ghode ko ghas khilate hain Biryani nahi" and this man is a known name in Bullet community. i had same query to him.
Well said My thoughts around is how can aged engine cope up with new technology? Currently for my RD, Semi synthetic oil is being used which is slightly better than regular mineral oil.
Slightly Better in the sense of cold engine running, Clutch doesn't jerk when you engage it on a cold morning.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

For the UCEs, care to be taken when switching to non-OEM oils, since the UCEs have a wet clutch.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I shifted to Mobil nearly three months ago. Now my 78 Bull's engine doesn't heat up while riding through neck-to-neck traffic. Strange noises have also stopped eminating from the engine. But it is expensive!!!
Which grade of mobil did you use leepower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Well said My thoughts around is how can aged engine cope up with new technology? Currently for my RD, Semi synthetic oil is being used which is slightly better than regular mineral oil.
Slightly Better in the sense of cold engine running, Clutch doesn't jerk when you engage it on a cold morning.
I have checked the site and they seem to state that there is a slightly Lesser grade Oil which can be used in RE's though they didnt mention the older ones or the newer ones. Honestly does it make such a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Desideep any other suggestions!
Old 27th June 2011, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
I have checked the site and they seem to state that there is a slightly Lesser grade Oil which can be used in RE's though they didnt mention the older ones or the newer ones. Honestly does it make such a difference?
Would make a marginal difference especially when its a cold engine. Once when the engine is warmed all Oils perform more or less at the same competitive levels. At the same time if you use a higher grade oil your clutch would tend to drag. Havent experimented myself except for sticking to the one that has been suggested for a RD. (10w30 or 10w40)
Old 27th June 2011, 13:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
Which grade of mobil did you use leepower?

Desideep any other suggestions!
i Have been using Veedol Turbostar and Castrol magnatec for many years now. and i think that Castrol is good. but it is just a little expensive comparred to Veedol. but i have noticed that the key is the oil change time. i have been doing it after 3000 KMS for last 12000 KMs. because i have ran the bike that much after i modded the engine with a better oil pump. and prior to that when the bike was a standard i used to change it ever 2000 kms.

Most Viewed