Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 13:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Finally, A Bike ! But Which One?

No, not yet. I just got my learner's license, so will learn on my uncle's CBZ for a couple of weeks and then go to test-ride the contenders before settling for one. But, the odds suggest that Apache 180 ABS will be my next bike
Old 5th September 2011, 20:08   #32
BHPian

Just back after booking the Apache RTR 180 with ABS. Cost me 91,487 incl. octroi and Thane registration. Hope to get the delivery within 5-7 days!
Old 5th September 2011, 20:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Just back after booking the Apache RTR 180 with ABS. Cost me 91,487 incl. octroi and Thane registration. Hope to get the delivery within 5-7 days!

Congrats on the booking mate. One swell choice really. Got the white RTR180 (non-ABS) 17 days ago and enjoying every bit of the ride. Cant wait for the running in to get over.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm
Congratulations Prateek! Fantastic bike and good to see you invest on ABS. Which color did you opt for?

All the best! Waiting for pictures.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:

1) Newbie: I did about 14k kms in as many months on my Dio but I don't know to ride a geared bike because I wanted to be 18 before I drive one. So, it should be easy to learn.

2) Weight: I'm 5" 8' but I am underweight for my age, 50-52kg. So, the primary requirement is that I shouldn't feel the bike to be bulky while city drives. I like the R15, but I guess it won't suit on a thin physique like mine.
An R15 would fit the bill perfectly here.

Quote:

3) Daily running: I will do about 60 kms on an average daily on the Eastern Express Highway from Thane to Wadala, Mumbai. This highway is generally congestion free except on a few locations, so need something that can do 80kph without any sweat. Mileage isn't a concern but a large tank would be a boon.

4) Touring: Yes, this is what I currently dream every night! Plan to do a BOM-BLR-BOM by this year end with a pillion rider on the 'yet-to-come' bike, so it should be comfortable and the headlights should be adequate for night driving.
This is where things might go wrong for you. It's not particularly comfortable for a 60km commute. Two up touring means luggage and a need for a comfortable ride. Also, there is no replacement for displacement as my ZMA shows me time and again. Odds against the Yam here.

Quote:

5) Servicing: Pricing of the spare parts isn't an issue, but the attitude of the dealers and the service technicians is. I won't buy a Honda, thanks to their pathetic servicing issues I faced with my Dio. Similarly, resale doesn't matter since I would keep the bike for 4-5 years.

6) Reliability: It should be reliable. I don't want it to leave me stranded on a lone highway with no mechanic in site for the next 50 kms. The best feature of the Apache is the ABS, but will it be reliable?

6) Performance: Top-end doesn't matter me, but the initial pickup does matter A LOT. Should have good handling on curves.
As far as servicing goes, my friend tells me Yamaha is mediocore here in B'lore. (Any BHPians let me know if you can recommend the best for him )

The reliability and performance issues are really not a concern for the R15. It's 4-2 in favor of the Yamaha. Depends on what your touring spirit now!
Old 5th September 2011, 20:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Which color did you opt for?
Well unfortunately he has no choice but white!

The RTR180 ABS comes only in white and no other color as per the sales rep when I was buying my 180.
Old 5th September 2011, 20:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Oops! Gave a detailed reply to your first post without seeing this. Anyway, ride safe. Invest on good riding gear; it's as important a purchase as your bike.

Keep revvin'
Old 5th September 2011, 21:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on the booking mate. One swell choice really. Got the white RTR180 (non-ABS) 17 days ago and enjoying every bit of the ride. Cant wait for the running in to get over.
Thanks BTW, you change your bikes every few months or what? I had seen your posts about A160, FZ and I guess you had a Pulsar too?
Old 6th September 2011, 11:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks BTW, you change your bikes every few months or what? I had seen your posts about A160, FZ and I guess you had a Pulsar too?
Ha ha.. Pulsar 220 DTSi was 2 years ago. Then came the Joel'd RTR160 for a year and half. The FZ was a mistake i made 2 months ago and booked my losses and bought the RTR180. Am a happy camper ever since for the last 400 kms.
Old 15th September 2011, 00:08   #40
BHPian

Guys, thanks for the help and the advice you have given!

I took the delivery of my Apache 180 ABS yesterday evening, already did some 30 kms myself (learnt riding a bike, basically). No pictures today since the DSLR is with dad at Gurgaon, but I promise you the pics latest by Sunday. Again, thanks a ton
Old 15th September 2011, 00:43   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took the delivery of my Apache 180 ABS yesterday evening
Congrats on the buy buddy!

Well, if you can, could you please post a detailed review of the working of the ABS in the RTR?. In reality.

Tnx!
Old 15th September 2011, 12:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took the delivery of my Apache 180 ABS yesterday evening, already did some 30 kms myself (learnt riding a bike, basically)
Congrats on getting the bike. Looking forward to the pics.

Ensure you follow the running in instructions given in the manual and restrain that right wrist for the initial 1000 kms.
Old 16th September 2011, 14:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Congrats on the buy buddy!

Well, if you can, could you please post a detailed review of the working of the ABS in the RTR?. In reality.

Tnx!
Sure, give me a couple of days though, since I don't have my DSLR (or for that matter, any cam) with me. Hence the review is put on a backburner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on getting the bike. Looking forward to the pics.

Ensure you follow the running in instructions given in the manual and restrain that right wrist for the initial 1000 kms.
Yes, I'm somehow controlling that urge. Have been maintaining thel 4000 rpm/50 kmph limit now.

------

Now, I have hit the first hiccup in this bike. Sometimes (rarely, say 1 in 10 times) when I shift from 1st to 2nd, the bike goes into neutral. Happened a couple of time in dense traffic too. I guess this is termed as 'false neutrals'? I was riding with sandals at that time. Today, when I rode wearing shoes, never had the problem. So I guess that it was caused because I wasn't pressing the gear hardly. Is the phenomena common on a new bike before the 1st servicing?
Old 16th September 2011, 15:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I'm somehow controlling that urge. Have been maintaining thel 4000 rpm/50 kmph limit now.
Good you are following the running in instructions. Once you complete the first service you can take it occasionally to 5k RPM for short bursts and come back to the 4k RPM limit.

Quote:
Now, I have hit the first hiccup in this bike. Sometimes (rarely, say 1 in 10 times).... I guess this is termed as 'false neutrals'? I was riding with sandals at that time...
Until the 2nd service at least the gears will seem to be hard and you need to push it with a bit more force. I too have faced false neutrals about 3-5 times in the 600kms that the bike has done. So just ensure you are putting enough pressure on the gears. And the sandals also could be the issue since you will be lifting the shifter from 1st to 2nd and it tends to be painful on the toe if its bare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks