Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 05:10   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
mind made up - picked a forest green std bullet 500 today! will post some pics soon. It looks like the real bullet - much more original and mature than the classic (sorry, just my opinion ). Plus it has the single seat. Tried split seat and didn't like it much. Black classic and red electra too look very good. But I settled for the best - forest green std 500.
That's a good decision Ann, congratulations ! I am also in the market for a bike and might settle for a RE. Which store did you use, a small initial ownership will be helpful.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 05:00   #167
anm
BHPian

Re: Bullet Electra 350, std500 or desert storm?

^^^ you can try at south delhi motorcycles - near kailash colony metro station. They MAY have something ready for delivery.

I got a white royal enfield helmet - costed 4.8k which is substantially more expensive than studds helmets that can be had for around 1k. I did get a black studds helmet as well for pillion rider though. But I definitely wanted it in white for greater visibility during night rides.
Looking for white/ reflective windcheater/ summer jacket.

Still trying to convince my wife that I can go to office on the bike

Ownership experience is good except that it gave me starting trouble early in the morning after its "first night" at my place. I had to use kick start, but by that time my daughter already left to catch her bus. She was quite sad.
Have just seen some other threads on button start giving trouble and use of choke. Honestly, I don't know where is the choke

Rest everything is fine. I am owning a bullet after 12-13 years. Earlier I had a ~74 model which I liked very much. I had it for ~6 months on rent. It did have very low mileage - which didn't bother me except once when someone in the office took it for a long ride and I was stranded with no petrol in the tank. I had tank full before he took so never imagined that he had emptied the tank. I was in the middle of the road kicking it like crazy for half an hour before it struck to me that tank COULD be empty. Next day the other guy said he didn't take it too far.
I did have a problem with it couple of times, but I used to leave the bike and the guy who rented it to me would come and collect it.
Old 13th February 2014, 18:19   #168
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
To be honest the paint quality on Desert storm is shabby.
There seems to be so much variation from bike to bike. I was fortunate enough to get the actual Desert colour and the paint job on my bike seems to be perfect. A friend of mine also has a desert storm and it seems almost green.

Extremely happy that I chose the 500 over the 350. Even in stock, the thump is there in contrast to the 350 which is really flat and not to my liking. I found the 350 to be very average in performance. The torque of the 500 is amazing. Can easily lug me in 3rd gear after going over a speed breaker and I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and easily 95kgs.
Old 11th April 2014, 17:14   #169
BHPian

Thumpers,
I am a 42 year old of reasonable fitness, 5' 11' 90 Kgs. I have driven a lot of cars but the only motorised 2 wheeler I rode was a Dio a while back. So to be honest, I have never ridden any geared 2 wheeler.

I am tempted to buy myself a Classic. The question is a) Should I succumb to this mid-life crisis and buy myself a Classic or do you think I should get some experience with a 100cc first? b) If I do get myself a Classic, should it be a 350 or a 500?

I will use it mostly in Mumbai city traffic for weekends to let the wind blow the cobwebs off my mind. Don't think I'll ever do something quite as reckless as driving to Goa or Ladakh from Mumbai.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th April 2014, 20:26   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I am tempted to buy myself a Classic. The question is a) Should I succumb to this mid-life crisis and buy myself a Classic or do you think I should get some experience with a 100cc first? b) If I do get myself a Classic, should it be a 350 or a 500?
First of all, yes you should always immediately give in to any mid-life crisis, or anything that you enjoy and can afford. Why wait?

I was in a similar situation like yourself, although older (55) and taller and a little heavier and never ever having owned or even ridden a motorcycle before I came to India a year and a half ago. I got myself a real classic 350 Bullet. A restored one from 1975. In the first year I've done a little over 5.000 kilometers around Delhi and five or six weekend trips some 500 - 800 kilometers round trip to places such as Lansdown and Alwar.

See here for my experience:

http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.co...new_hobby.html

With hindsight I should have gone for a 500cc rather then 350cc. On the older bikes the difference in power is even more pronounced. So I end up doing a lot more gear changes than riders on a 500cc.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 18:38   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
I have been following all the RE threads here and have gone through the ownership reports of few Bhpians too and have decided to buy the RE classic. But my problem is, I am not able to decide between RE350 and RE500. The bike will mostly be used for road trips because I have a Uni for city but would like to do occasional city riding also. I took a short test ride (RE350) and liked it and want to do the booking. Please help me with your suggestions on whether to go for RE500 or RE350 i
I know this is an old thread, but just discovered it now, after having some time on both the 500/350's recently:

I'm going to say the 500, so long as you can afford the higher maintenance costs (the crankshafts were problematic, at least early on in the UCE cycle), and bit higher fuel consumption. Either get a used CL500 and do a carb (P220) conversion, or the new 500 standard that comes carb'd from the factory. Spent a little time on two of the converted CL's, and they are just SO much fun (I get back on my lightly modified Impulse, which normally feels reasonably quick, and literally think there must be something wrong with it - "why is there no pickup?"). Vibrations on the 500 UCE are no worse than the 350 UCE, FE is not much worse, and the power / responsiveness are just in a completely different league. FI'd CL500's were sometimes only getting 25-27kmpl (not to mention the Keihin fuel pumps, etc, going bad pretty often at Rs8,500 a pop and misbehaving at high altitude) but the two carb-converted ones I know of are getting 33 and 30kmpl respectively, in continuous hill use and without any real tuning (re-jetting, etc) efforts. Resale value is always going to be reasonably high for the 500's, and rapidly decreasing for the plenteous 350's.

Trouble with the 350 (UCE) is that there are lots of other bikes that are a lot quicker and a lot smoother, and give better FE, for considerably less money. So, unless it's just the classic style you're after, what's the point? The old iron RE350's, for all their quirks and relative thirst, at least had a lot less vibrations and a nicer sound.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 1st October 2014 at 18:41.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 00:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
First of all, yes you should always immediately give in to any mid-life crisis, or anything that you enjoy and can afford. Why wait?

I was in a similar situation like yourself, although older (55) and taller and a little heavier and never ever having owned or even ridden a motorcycle before I came to India a year and a half ago. I got myself a real classic 350 Bullet. A restored one from 1975. In the first year I've done a little over 5.000 kilometers around Delhi and five or six weekend trips some 500 - 800 kilometers round trip to places such as Lansdown and Alwar.

See here for my experience:

http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.co...new_hobby.html

With hindsight I should have gone for a 500cc rather then 350cc. On the older bikes the difference in power is even more pronounced. So I end up doing a lot more gear changes than riders on a 500cc.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Jeroen

Hello Jeroen,
I hav ebeen reading your post for a while and really admire that intrinsic quality of yours about putting your best foot forward into everything. I think thats the differentiator and advantage you have.
Apart, just walked into RE Experience center at Saket Select City Mall today and was once again bitten by Bullet Bug for apparently second time(Virtually it runs at back of mind), earlier it was treated with ThunderBird 350 some 10 years back. Great place to admire the RE culture and Test Ride - any and all bikes that you wish and I ended up trying a FEW.
Well Debate about 350 or 500 is a classic in itself, but because my commute on 2 wheelers would be limited to leasure "Gehri" once in a while(say 10 kms a week) and may be once in a year - to those long distant places - wondering if going into route 500 would be prudent??

Regards
Spark
Old 19th January 2015, 15:46   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Well Debate about 350 or 500 is a classic in itself, but because my commute on 2 wheelers would be limited to leasure "Gehri" once in a while(say 10 kms a week) and may be once in a year - to those long distant places - wondering if going into route 500 would be prudent??

At the end of the day its a personal choice. If and when you might end up riding a bit more, you might regret going for the 500cc. I went for the 350 purely because I was a bit intimidated by the idea to have my very first bike ever as a 500cc right away. Usually i like to go for the best I can afford. Mind you, my Bullet is a forty year old restored one. The current 350cc is already a whole lot better in terms of power output and drivability.
Jetoen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 18:19   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanvash View Post
Ahhh, these are dirty tactics used by Dealers to give bikes to people without booking...I got to know that someone from my company got in touch with Venki (RE CEO) and got his bike delivered much faster...
Hi There!

Kindly put me in touch with Mr. Venky

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks