Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 16:06   #76
BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

Although you have already taken your throttle body apart, my dealer cautioned me to NEVER adjust or mess with the settings on the TPS.
More than one of his customers thought the screws on the TPS at the side of the throttle body were there to adjust their idle speed and by changing them they ended up back at the dealer begging him to fix their poor running bike.
It not a big deal at all, only thing that can be adjusted is TPS rest position & air by pass screw for idle. Which is not very difficult to calibrate. For perfection you need volt meter for tps & rpm meter for idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Use some wd40 on the top of the idle screw for a min or so and try again. You will be surprised how much carbon accumulates under it. Did you removed and cleaned up the by-pass(choke) too?

For some reason the battery reset thing does not works on my C5.

@Jim- It's the same specs for TPS voltage on domestic C5.
WD40 is my dearest friend, I take it where ever I go :P ... I tried opening but copper screw was giving up, I could only rotate it 40-50 degree. I detached everything from throttle body, dipped it in petrol for 2-3hrs before cleaning with brush & STP. Even removed the injector & cleaned it with STP, later sprayed some stp inside the engine intake compartment ..... kicked few time & repeated this 5-6 times.

I was hopping a service manual would address how to reset TPS position to idle. Should be easier than reading from volt meter. Anyways I need to wait for next weekend to spend some time on it.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:44   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention, TPS gets reset at every start so really don't need to bother with the setting unless you know what you are doing with it.
I am not sure that is right. I fixed my TPS little offset (-tive) from the original position and the MIL bulb lights up after 4-5 secs. I disconnected the battery too for 3-5mins hoping it will reset but nothing happened.

Also imagine the case if you turn on the ignition with throttle open & start ... so the TPS will reset to new position ?

That is why there has to be a procedure to reset TPS position similar how we do it cars .

My 2 cents.
Old 10th October 2011, 18:01   #78
Senior - BHPian

Read my last post. Service manual does not explain how to reset TPS, only explains how to check voltage. It's up to your clever brain to play around with the TPS voltage

There is no copper screw for by-pass piston, did you meant idle screw?

Last edited by Randhawa : 10th October 2011 at 18:05.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:14   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Have not been able to get my hands on it yet. Have been tied up with work and got no time to follow up.

Will be on the task again and will share it as soon as I have it on me.
Thank buddy will be waiting for this

Quote:
Read my last post. Service manual does not explain how to reset TPS, only explains how to check voltage. It's up to your clever brain to play around with the TPS voltage

There is no copper screw for by-pass piston, did you meant idle screw?
Sorry correction it was brass screw for idle control not copper. Its wearing out when I tried to force open.

Yes so it seems that I need to calibrate w.r.t to voltage only. Will experiment with this ( lean & rich )

BTW do you already own a manual ?
Old 11th October 2011, 22:40   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth_menon View Post
Thank buddy will be waiting for this

Sorry correction it was brass screw for idle control not copper. Its wearing out when I tried to force open.

Yes so it seems that I need to calibrate w.r.t to voltage only. Will experiment with this ( lean & rich )

BTW do you already own a manual ?
Checked out the workshop manual at the RE workshop.
Old 11th October 2011, 23:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hey friends, I am RE guy and have a TB 50 yr edition model, just went today to RE showroom to get my friend a classic 350 booked and fell for it myself too, loved the classic 500 chrome and DS but I think 350 makes more sense in city driving, your comments please so that I can book one and put my lovely TB for sale, cl500 DS is too cool but mileage will also play a game where i was told cl500 yields 22 and 350 gives 42 kmpl
Old 11th October 2011, 23:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt
.... I think 350 makes more sense in city driving....
If it is only city stick to CL350. Better mileage and a little better put together.
Old 11th October 2011, 23:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Hey friends, I am RE guy and have a TB 50 yr edition model, just went today to RE showroom to get my friend a classic 350 booked and fell for it myself too, loved the classic 500 chrome and DS but I think 350 makes more sense in city driving, your comments please so that I can book one and put my lovely TB for sale, cl500 DS is too cool but mileage will also play a game where i was told cl500 yields 22 and 350 gives 42 kmpl
My C5 gives 20km/L @ 140km/h. Hard to digest that low 22 in city. It will give you between 30-38 in city if you stick to max 65 speed limit and lower to around 27+ of you speed a bit. Older C5 with 18 front are more fun to ride in City then new C5 with 19 front.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 10:37   #84
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the input, I feel for city CL350 will make more sense, the only reason i am drooling over CL500 is the desert storm color, i am thinking of booking a Black CL350 and somewhere in the later stage i will get the color changed, any take on this idea
Old 12th October 2011, 11:10   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
thanks for the input, I feel for city CL350 will make more sense, the only reason i am drooling over CL500 is the desert storm color, i am thinking of booking a Black CL350 and somewhere in the later stage i will get the color changed, any take on this idea
Difference between 350 & 500 is not just CC. Power, quick response & zero tuning makes CL500 more appealing. Not to forget some small differences like dual horn circuit, tyres, body color chassis ( if black then does not matter ), better starter motor, dual throttle cable etc. Mileage really doesn't matter when you own a bullet & lets not compare it with pulsars or splendor.

I personally feel one buys bullet for the experience & not the tech or mileage. It may not be an ideal city commuter bike but will not disappoint you.

I booked 350CC when Classic was just launched & just days before delivery I upgraded to 500cc. I don't regret, its worth it. Recently I checked out 2011 models, RE has done lots of improvements in so little time, I am impressed.
Old 12th October 2011, 13:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, i want to book new chrome Classic 500. Which color looks best Black or maroon? Is it difficult to maintain Chrome?
Old 12th October 2011, 14:48   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Hey guys, i want to book new chrome Classic 500. Which color looks best Black or maroon? Is it difficult to maintain Chrome?
I don't think so, chrome is as normal bike as any other RE and IMHO maroon looks better in person
Old 12th October 2011, 15:05   #88
Senior - BHPian

I had gone for booking. But found that chrome bikes which are yet to be delivered standing there were having rust dots already on mudguard. So changed my mind and went for bottle Green.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:20   #89
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So changed my mind and went for bottle Green.
Is the Battle Green color available in India? The RE website mentions otherwise though.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had gone for booking. But found that chrome bikes which are yet to be delivered standing there were having rust dots already on mudguard. So changed my mind and went for bottle Green.
congrats for selecting DS 500, even i am planning to book the same but the dealer do not have a demo model of 500 to test so i need to wait for some time

have you came across any news of issue related to matt paint, some body told me this paint gets dirty very soon

Most Viewed