Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 01:22   #151
BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500

Welcome to India. Welcome to the world of the legendary THUMP
Old 13th December 2012, 10:31   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500

Making progress on my Royal Enfield adventure; The bike is being overhauled as we speak.

Today I got my 'learners license'. I had a colleguea of mine helping out with all the forms, stamps, fees and dealing with multiple officials.

Took the knowledge test; 10 multiple questions. Straight pass in less then a minute. Next week we are flying to the Netherlands where we will be spending our Christmas and New Year event. I've booked a couple of bike lessons. So at least I'll be able to familiarize myself with the basics of riding a motor bike. When we get back, early January the bike should be ready. Can't wait!

Jeroen
Old 5th December 2013, 06:35   #153
BHPian

Long stroke? Classic 350 vs 500

So much have been said in length about Enfield's having 'long stroke' & how this is good for torque, thump etc. Number wise 350 is rather a loooong stroke while 500 is just long, ie., +20mm vs +6mm wrt bore. But it is obvious that 500 is far better performer than 350 at any engine speeds. Exhaust note aka thump too is similar.
Then what practical advantage does the loooong stroke 350 offer?
Would a 74 x 80 sized 350 have been a better one?
Old 8th February 2014, 23:50   #154
anm
BHPian

Bullet Electra 350, std500 or desert storm?

Guys - I am looking to buy a bullet right away but unable to make up my mind.
Electra 350 - there seem to be many models listed on royal enfield site, but there seems to be only one available. When I call up a showroom, they are not interested/ educated to tell me the details.

Electra has same brakes as other two. Mostly it seems similar to two models except CC. BUT it has a 19" rear tyre. Is that better or worse?
There seem to be a 500 electra also on the site but the showroom denied existence of such a model.

I "THINK" the split seat would be much more comfortable for me and the pillion rider vs the classic split seats.

STD 500 has a carburettor vs EFI of DS. Not sure what does the electra 350 has. Which one is better when it comes to low maintenance, less failure and high power?

My preference is - low maintenance, high reliability. Budget and mileage are not constraints.

I would be using it mostly in city conditions, but may take it on long drives/ offroad once in a while.

Also pls suggest a friendly showroom in delhi/ncr. I am in faridabad but I can go to delhi/ gurgaon for the right people.
regards
Old 9th February 2014, 12:00   #155
anm
BHPian

Re: Bullet Electra 350, std500 or desert storm?

I guess lot of people would have gone through the same dilemma (tri-lemma?). Pls help me if you have already figured out.
Old 9th February 2014, 12:31   #156
BHPian

I thought picking an RE is easy these days, its like being at a fashion store offering pair of jeans in two fits (350 or 500) & some Tshirts in some more cuts & colours (electra/ classic-chrome/ds etc) all of same quality. You try what you think suits you & then buy. pls pardon me, i know this post may not be helpful, but then there are many threads to gather a lot of info. Goodluck for your choice, cheers...
Rennjit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:50   #157
Senior - BHPian

If you want low maintenance and high reliability then EFI is the way to go rather the a carb, though the carb has the more original Bullet thump. Electra 350 twinspark is a carb model while the DS is a EFI. Bullet Std 500 is available in both EFI and carb. The Classic one piece seat is supposedly more comfortable than the split spring seats. I like the Bullet so much, only if they could increase the quality and reliability of it's components...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 14:49   #158
anm
BHPian

thanks Rennjit and dkaile.

What can be easily fixed by a mechanic when driving long distance and away from main city? EFI or carb?

Split seat of classic may be better at taking shocks, but is it good for pillion rider as well? Anyways, I think any of these can be taken up later as well I guess.
Old 9th February 2014, 19:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

No
Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
What can be easily fixed by a mechanic when driving long distance and away from main city? EFI or carb?

Split seat of classic may be better at taking shocks, but is it good for pillion rider as well? Anyways, I think any of these can be taken up later as well I guess.
Though the road side mechanic is more familiar with the carb but EFI should be more reliable and it shouldn't go kaput easily.

Whatever feedback I have got on the seat says that the conventional single seat is more comfortable for longer journeys though the single seat is better visually.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 22:39   #160
anm
BHPian

^^ single seat or split seat? which is more comfortable?

any feedback on faridabad dealer or south delhi motors?

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2014 at 08:24. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
Old 10th February 2014, 05:43   #161
BHPian

Quote:
any feedback on faridabad dealer or south delhi motors?
South Delhi people are decent so you can give it a try. There's a new experience store which has opened in City Walk Saket, not sure if they sell or only showcase.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 06:20   #162
anm
BHPian

desert storm rejected by wife and kid for its looks!!! Options left: teal, maroon or black classic, or std 500
Old 10th February 2014, 06:45   #163
BHPian

Quote:
desert storm rejected by wife and kid for its looks!!! Options left: teal, maroon or black classic, or std 500
To be honest the paint quality on Desert storm is shabby.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 10:33   #164
anm
BHPian

I don't like the teal blue - it is such a girly color :( but may end up buying that finally
Old 11th February 2014, 02:34   #165
anm
BHPian

mind made up - picked a forest green std bullet 500 today! will post some pics soon. It looks like the real bullet - much more original and mature than the classic (sorry, just my opinion ). Plus it has the single seat. Tried split seat and didn't like it much.

Black classic and red electra too look very good. But I settled for the best - forest green std 500.

Last edited by anm : 11th February 2014 at 02:38.

Most Viewed