Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 23:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda CBR 250R Review

I will wait Aargee. I will wait for a year to let things settle down.

And I think you did a wise thing by taking the engine replacement moving on with it. These things happen. Enjoy the Bike.

So whats next? A Harley?
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 00:45   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Lol!!! If that were the case, then every body keeps waiting indefinitely to buy products that has been manufactured atleast an year old; the buyers keep waiting for over an year while the manufacturers waits to sell vehicles made about an year ago.
Good point! But I meant be 'sensible' enough not to become the first set of people to take the risk. When something is launched unlike u think, not everyone is gonna NOT buy it for one year anyhow! This has happend with n number of launches in the past in India.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Good point! But I meant be 'sensible' enough not to become the first set of people to take the risk. When something is launched unlike u think, not everyone is gonna NOT buy it for one year anyhow! This has happend with n number of launches in the past in India.
Sam,
Guess you are on right on the conflict of hen or egg first theory
Should appreciate aarghee here for being bold enough to take in the plunge. And by the looks of this thread looks like he has settled in with the bike and things going as deemed good for him.
Aarghee do correct me if am wrong with the last statement.
Old 19th July 2011, 19:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
So whats next? A Harley?
Will take several years to add next one to the garage

Quote:
But I meant be 'sensible' enough not to become the first set of people to take the risk.
Pls define what is sensible; sensible is a perspective theory & varies from people. To me a risk is buying a new product from BAL & not from Honda. May be few people consider risk buying from Honda & not from BMW.

Quote:
When something is launched unlike u think,
What exactly you mean by this? I've defined, redefined my needs & no I don't fall into the category who goes to a hotel & say "Give me something to eat for Rs 100". Except for an additional cylinder, DRL & twin headlights, the C250R satisfies all that I'm looking for. Now what's one good reason why I shouldn't have gone for it? What's the unlikely factor in it? Why would I want to wait for a facelifted C250R to have an additional cylinder, twin headlamps & DRL?

Quote:
This has happend with n number of launches in the past in India.
So have people stopped buying?

Point - From Honda, on a Petrol engine, this is not expected. Period!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Aarghee do correct me if am wrong with the last statement.
There's nothing bold or risk to my knowledge. The product suited my requirement closer than any other products in the market & I could afford for it & so I bought it. Had BAL made a 250/350cc twin cylinder, top speed of 200 Kmph, LC, DRL, twin head lamps, 50 bhp (or whatever) in collaboration with BMW, I would've waited for sometime before buying it.

It's the faith on a reputed manufacturer like Honda that drives us. Anyway, issues like this keep coming & even I'm aware of it & HMSI also replaced the entire engine which is also a good move.

Ideally I would've appreciated, if they did a check up, personally from HMSI before handing it over rather than getting it done through ASC. That would've made things better.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 23:57   #65
BHPian

Exactly, issues can crop up anytime -- there ain't no 1-year time frame for getting a glitch free ride (unless you are getting a Royal Enfield Classic 500 whose issues are still being fixed). Toyota and Honda cars were called back recently. I believe Honda Civic or city models from 2006/2007 to 2010 were called back for fixing glitches!!!
How is the ride behaving now dude??? How is it performing now??? What exactly did they do about the RC book??? Does it have an old engine number???

Last edited by Leepower : 20th July 2011 at 00:02.
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 10:10   #66
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your experience. And surprised that it happened with a Honda bike - with supposedly bullet-proof reliability. Did you get the letter endorsing the engine change?

Yes, HMIL could've responded and handled the issue more gracefully. Sadly that is what is lacking in most Indian companies (not just auto co.s). You make some noise and you will mostly get the issue sorted out in the end - but the process usually leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And I hate it when the company guys act as if they are doing you a huge personal favor in fixing the issue that is covered by warranty anyway.

At least your ASC was helpful - usually they are the bigger fly in the ointment.

Cheers.
H3LIOS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 21:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
How is the ride behaving now dude??? How is it performing now??? What exactly did they do about the RC book??? Does it have an old engine number???
Well, I guess not; I'm out of town for few weeks & can't make a followup from here. I'll make a point to update here once I get the paper work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
Yes, HMIL could've responded and handled the issue more gracefully.
Rightly said
Old 20th July 2011, 22:13   #68
BHPian

will your engine no. on registration card for bike also change with the full engine change that honda did ?
Old 19th August 2011, 19:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Update
After the second engine has been plonked, it took a while for me to complete the K mark. It was precisely, last Friday, when I'd completed 1000+ Kms on the new engine & had changed the engine oil & filter. Before this, I'd replaced the engine oil & filter once at 570 odd Kms.

Having completed 1000 Kms, took a good excuse to ride on Independence day; that is when HMSI put a big smile on my face. I made a quick trip to Chennai to Trichy & back to visit Uchchi Pillyar Temple. Here's what C250R did...

- Started from Chennai 2:25 AM, reached Trichy at 5:45 AM; distance covered 323 Kms
- Started at 7:49 AM from Trichy & reached Vandaloor at 10:25 AM; distance covered 284 Kms
- Did mostly in the speeds of 130 (80 mph) but still manageable vibes. Top speed recorded without crouching 137 & with crouching 145

But one thing I should admit, there's absolutely no difference in the engine noise before & after the trip, there's no roughness or anything. Covered 323 Kms in 3 hrs 15 mins with just one break for 10 mins to refuel; even after that, there was not stress on the engine. I think, Honda did an amazing job on the engine. If anyone is aware of the distance from Chennai to Samayapuram, I covered this distance in less than 3 hours & 10 minutes. I did the same distance on my Rx in 4:30 hrs & my Waggy in 3:30 hrs. After all this circus, C250R does 135 without an effort & takes few more second to break the 140 Kmph barrier. After returning home, there was a very negligible amount of numbness & that too I felt only for just 5 mins or so. Overall, I'm quite happy with the performance & just what I'd expected from C250R.

Last edited by aargee : 19th August 2011 at 19:46.
aargee is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 19:58   #70
BHPian

Aargee - I am little late - Congrats on the bike. Especially with the ordeal that you have undergone i am glad you now feel the new engine is doing what it was deigned to do. Thanks for sharing the update.

All the very best - ML.
Old 19th August 2011, 20:20   #71
BHPian

Wow @aargee.. happy that the bike behaves as it should. Are the chennai-trichy roads become really that good? Its almost 4 years that i have been out of india and still remembers the under construction roads..
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Are the chennai-trichy roads become really that good?
Beats roads in US all way upto Kanyakumari from Chennai.

Thanks @Motoringlover

I'm getting the RTO formalities done probably this week or the next; all expenses, if at all any, will be taken care by the dealer. They'd asked me to leave the vehicle at ASC & the rest will be taken care. Will keep posted if there're any issues.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

Joined this thread very late. Anyway, aargee, all is well that ends well. By the way, I'm surprised that 250cc singles can do 145 kmph. A short burst may be but keeping them at that blast for long may put undue stress, I feel.

Digressing here, why did Honda name it CBR at all? CBRs are inline four cylinders since beginning. This must be the first CBR with single cylinder. They used to make a 250 cc CBR ( inline 4) which was hell of a screamer. 4-cylinder to 1-cylinder, what a downgrade? I know it costs a lot to make inline 4s, so they had to make a single cylinder. That's ok. Nothing wrong with that but why name it CBR? This dilutes legendary CBR's brand value to some extent. Same goes for Yamaha. They made FZ16 look so close to FZ1 that the other day I almost missed an FZ1 parked by the roadside, mistaking it for an FZ16 with fat tyres. And R15 close to R1. Karizma ZMA that looks like 'busa. Why, why?
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:53   #74
BHPian

[B]All Hyd Cbr Owners[/B]

All Hyd Cbr Owners

Finally finished 850 kms on my ride and gave it today for its first servicing. What i am about to say may or may have already effected owners of the cbr in Hyd.

Went in at 9.00am to fortune motors in S.P.Road. Get the job card printed and waiting for the service rep to come over patiently. First thing he asked was issues i had :-

1. New oil and oil filter change
2. Clutch was little too hard as well as the steering
3. I showed him the radiator accumulated a lot of dirt since it was a rainy day. Hence to clean it off properly. I had done all checks when i initially received the bike, no damaged fins, nuts and bolts, fairing gaps etc.
4. Lube the chain etc etc

Now all issues were noted on the job card and there goes my ride for servicing

Now this service rep i would like to call him Mr X. I checked the bike while it was being serviced occasionally. Went home since i had some work outside. I was told to come back in 3hours and the bike would be ready. I got a call from them in the next few hours that the bike is ready. Went in to the counter, the Bill was around Rs 765/-. I go up, take the job card without seeing my bike!!! which i made a mistake. Paid the amount and went down to take the Bike. I inspected everything from chain lube to handling to the steering. However i notice these guys washed the bike after the servicing so the chain lube oil was still dripping on the alloys which i didnt mind. But now come the most saddest part. I checked the complete radiator if the mud has been taken off properly, however i still see that towards the bottom center there is still some. This time i called the supervisor (name him as Mr Y), told him about it. He told the boy to take back the bike and wash off the mud which i told them about.

Now is the shocking part. They came with the bike with the radiator fins looking like below :-

Honda CBR 250R Review-dsc_0062.jpg
Honda CBR 250R Review-dsc_0063.jpg

Most of the radiator fins completely bent!! after these dumbheads did a high pressure wash and tried removing with their finger which i didnt even know until they told me. This really got me so irritated i raised my voice and told i will not accept this, i told the MR Y to have a look and this is not the way the bike's radiator is supposed to bent nor touched with the hand, This time i called Mr X to proof my radiator were all fine until since he inspected the bike and created the job card. Mr X said to Mr Y that all the fins were fine before devliery and then Mr X disappeared after that. Mr Y calls an supposed cbr expert saying that this is common in all cbr bikes and telling me that its fine!!!!. Fine my ... Mr Y(still on the phone) tells me now there is a cbr which is being serviced right now which as the fins looking just like mine. One rep took me to the servicing room and showed me, I clearly saw this cbr as well being damaged with the radiator fin. Still he says it is supposed to be like that. I got more irritated this time i asked for the job card back so that i can ensure i put comments , received with damaged radiator fins and signed on it with Mr Y signing on it as well. I explained to Mr Y and the rep who took me to the service station about it for nearly 20 mins arguing with them and telling them that this will decrease my bike's radiator life and etc. It came to such a point that it was no use arguing with them anymore since they seem to be more knowledgeable as per their Heads or brains or whatever!!! I told them clearly i will be reporting this matter to the higher authority to the Head and VP in Honda's. Another simple Representative came agin and Mr Y is too busy on the phone. This representative had actually agreed to me to what i actually said. I told that i dont blame him for it, because this is a new product and needs to be very careful with these as its a high price a customer is paying and should deserve a premium support towards it and then i left with a angry note.
Even the bike washing was pathetic. Instead i decide to go back to my bike washer who did the teflon coating for my ride. All i would say too all cbr owners is be careful.now is watch out carefully and i'm hopefully praying that they will replace my radiator once i shoot out an email to the head.

after washing ...
Honda CBR 250R Review-dsc_0064.jpg
Honda CBR 250R Review-dsc_0066.jpg

So watch out CBR Hyd owners..... will let you guys know if i do get any answer to this. There is more towards the story however this is where i want to stop as my head is still hot due to this!!!
Mods: please kindly remove words if you feel is not necessary towards this.

Last edited by nosfreak : 23rd August 2011 at 20:01.
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:38   #75
Senior - BHPian

@nosfreak,
This is a clear negligence from the dealer side.
Shoot an email to Honda and they would ask the dealer to set it right. Keep us updated about the progress of the issue.

You can also hijack either my ownership thread or mantrig's thread for all future postings, so that we can have all the CBR's ownership/experience reviews at one place.

Most Viewed